Halloween Horror Nights 2022 (USH) - Speculation & Rumors | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2022 (USH) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
This thread is dedicated to all Speculation & Rumors for this year's Halloween Horror Nights 2022 event at Universal Studios Hollywood.

As always, we ask that all speculation come from realistic expectations and adds to the discussion. Please keep discussions about wishful thinking/dream properties to the HHN Wish List threads. Official news will be shared on the News & Info thread.

We will be monitoring this thread very closely. We understand it's been 2 years since we've had a proper new speculation season and everyone is antsy to start talking about what's next. At the same time, we don't want the threads to devolve into chaos. We kindly ask you to please respect the guidelines of discussion so we can avoid locking discussions.

Also, we ask you to please refrain from any COVID protocol handling (i.e. Plexi/Vinyl) discussions for the time being. As has been evident for the past couple of years, things can change, especially last minute. Let's keep the initial focus on Spec, please.

Thanks.

DISCLAIMER: This thread contains discussion centered around rumors and sometimes could include baseless speculation, and should be treated as such. Posts are not confirmations. Any official announcements for HHN will be shared on our main site, InsideUniversal.net

Reactions: Freak and HHNManics
*Copying from the UOR Thread*

I'm writing an article about "The Road to HHN 31" so I won't go into too much - but I do not see Midnight Mass coming, despite me loving the show.

Also - Squid Game is not Horror and doesn't belong; and if you want to call that Horror, then we have to call Hunger Games horror, too. Plus, we already kinda got a Horror-Adjacent version with Seek and Destroy and a majority of the people did not care for it.

*Copying from the UOR Thread*

I'm writing an article about "The Road to HHN 31" so I won't go into too much - but I do not see Midnight Mass coming, despite me loving the show.

Also - Squid Game is not Horror and doesn't belong; and if you want to call that Horror, then we have to call Hunger Games horror, too. Plus, we already kinda got a Horror-Adjacent version with Seek and Destroy and a majority of the people did not care for it.
Spitting nothing but facts

I'll post my spec list:

- 10 Houses = , WW, Parisian, Curious George 1/2, Mummy, Soundstage 29, Metro 1/2/3.
- Terror Tram returns for another year, as would Jabba.
- Wizarding World Harry Potter is open, with SNW possibly open as-well ((at the cost of Flight of The Hippogriff)) [The latter of this is written assuming the area is open by the time]
- Safe Bet IP: Universal Monsters, Chucky, Fear Street, and Stranger Things \
- Small Risk IP: Last Night in Soho, Scream (Exclusive), and Mike Flannigan (either Midnight Mass or Bly Manor) [Exclusive if Squid Game is obtained]
- Risk IP: Squid Game [If Squid Game is lost, then a semi repeat of Creepshow with new scenes from Season 2 and 3]
- No Beetlejuice
- 2 Original Concepts (3 technically speaking on Monsters)

I'll argue in the case of Squid Game, that Purge doesn't deserve to be at HHN. But it's been present for multiple years. I'd love to be proven wrong on that front but that's my line of thought on Squid Game.

Reactions: HydraGen2299
I'll argue in the case of Squid Game, that Purge doesn't deserve to be at HHN. But it's been present for multiple years. I'd love to be proven wrong on that front but that's my line of thought on Squid Game.

See above

*Cracks knuckles* *straightens neck* Aww yea here go!

First off, those tweets are very interesting and very encouraging to read. I'm glad to see Murdy chipping away at creating more original stuff. I know I've complained a lot about Murdy's recent decisions in regard to the event, but when he really cares about an IP or a concept, it is evident he cares (i.e. Monsters, La Llorna). When he doesn't care, he clearly doesn't care (TrT, Scream tram). It's looking more likely that they've taken the year off as an opportunity to put out more creative content, so that makes me happy. With that said, I'm sure one of the concepts he's working on will be Monsters-related.

Sadly, I don't think we'll see any WB properties (NoES, It, etc) since Horror Made Here at WB is really hoping to return next year. This is going to make things interesting because they've already exhausted their catalogue, especially after this year. Perhaps this will be opportunity to give some "lower-end" IPs a chance?

Now for IPs, here's what I think we'll get:

1. Scream: This has been requested way before even Scream 4 came out! I know the rights holders were a big pain to work with, but if I recall correctly, it's been bought out by a new studio. This should make negotiating rights a LOT easier. With a fifth installment coming out in January, I think it's time has come. It's the only major slasher that I know of that's yet to be made a maze.

2. Hellraiser: I know Murdy has preferred a new movie to come out, but it's not gonna happen. Rights were also an issue, but I think this is also owned by the same studio as Scream as well. This has been requested for many, MANY years and if they get Scream, I don't see why not try for this IP to get a "2 for 1" deal. I recall the rumor that they tried this for '19 or '20, but they tried. It should be a lot easier now.

3. Universal Monsters: I don't think Murdy is ready to call it quits on the Monsters yet. I mean, the 19th century England tweet makes it obvious. I also remember seeing on one of the Orlando threads that A&D on HHNO really wants to do more Monsters houses as they still provide a lot of content to work with. I would like to see a house on the Mummy (The OG one), but I think we will see a continuation of the story Murdy has laid out with Bride. I would bet it will focus more on Dracula and his revenge for what Bride has done to his mistresses. They can still reuse the assets from the last Monsters houses.

4. The Thing: The fortieth anniversary of this movie is next year. This is another highly requested IP for HHN. I know Chris Williams has expressed interest in this so I think it will happen.

5. Resident Evil: Also highly requested, release of remaster of 2 was a big hit, and a new movie is coming out. I think Orlando will want to do this again.since it has been almost a decade since they've done it. I went through it! It wasn't scary but there were some cool scenes. I think they will want another go at it. nI could see this being in the sound stage in Hollywood. Only thing is could they afford this.

6. Thirteen Ghosts: Now I see this or Resident Evil happening since it'd be so expensive to pull off. I realize this is kinda out of left field here, but I know Orlando has wanted to do this in the past. I can't think of a "good" reason for them to do this other than a handful of fans requested this and they're running out of IPs to work with being WB is likely out for next year. This is more wishful thinking and I see RE happening more than this for the reasons I have mentioned, but yeah.

As for originals, the only reason why I think he would do research on 20th century America is that he wants to do a house based on a significant event in that time period. I doubt it has anything to do with a movie set in the 70's or 80's since he's done enough films set in that period. Maybe a WWII house? I think that'd be cool but they would have to get around anything related to Nazi Germany.

I know the event did gangbusters for them this year (Good for them), but I really fear they will add too many mazes and the budget will once again suffer. It looks like the tram will be here to stay for a while which eats up a good chunk of the event's budget. I understand some of use want to see more mazes, but I really hope they just stick with six mazes plus tram. They will probably want to at least "replace" TWDA with another maze, so if they must, seven mazes plus tram MAX. No more than that. We'll likely get Metro back so that should help space things out. Oh, and please open Potter again next year. It helped with crowds. I really wish they would put more money into improving the event and not focus on quantity over quality.

Ah, it feels great to have a clean slate for speculation again!

I want them to make a Metroid maze really badly now with the whole Universal/Nintendo partnership. It's already a horror sci-fi game in a lot of the entries so it would definitely work well. The newest game that just came out also did well and boosted the franchise's popularity too, but Nintendo might be the hurdle though.

I feel pretty confident we will continue to see the Universal Monsters at the event. I'd love to see a continuation of the story from The Bride of Frankenstein Lives, but I'm also totally fine with another standalone monster story too. The Creature comes to mind as one of the bigger monsters yet to be properly showcased.

All in all, I'm excited for some new speculation!

You know what, I'm going to throw Chucky into the speculation mix as well. SyFy series is getting a lot of views. I think they'll find a way to make a Chucky house or Terror Tram.

My initial IP speculation is:
-Scream
-Hellraiser
-Chucky
-The Thing
-Resident Evil
-Monsters

Alright guys, MY TIME has finally arrived!
- SCREAM. I've been throwing this out there for years now. Most likely it will suck and I'll be sad about it, considering how Scream 4 Your Life was handled, but I just want to at least see an attempt ONCE AND FOR ALL. There is no better time to do it than now.

- Chucky. I'm not sure how he will be involved, but I can almost bet on it. He had a cameo in this year's Terror Tram and they can never quite let him go -- I mean, why not, he's one of Uni's only horror properties.

- The Thing. If an IP is going to make a comeback, I'd love to see a maze on John Carpenter's version. The 2011 version was a lot of fun, so it'd be nice.

- House of Dracula. As mentioned before, a revenge type story that follows the last maze. Thing about House of Dracula is it features multiple Uni Monsters in it, so it'd be a great way to use the name and do something semi-original while bringing back some monsters.

- Stranger Things. I honestly think they're thinking it's time for this to return. Bly Manor didn't hit the same as Hill House and Midnight Mass isn't as adaptable. I see Netflix wanting to do a S3/S4 maze. As for Squid Game, if Netflix isn't thinking about it already, I imagine they're coming up with ideas on how to throw an event themselves, or maybe a small attraction somewhere like IT a few years back, so they can do something for Squid Game. It's not quite the right for HHN -- UNLESS it's something original leaning, like a Squid Game Terror Tram (hey, that sounds a lot of fun actually).

- Halloween Kills. I know there's some weird holdup with the rights, but given they did that media promotion on the backlot for it, I can see them going all out next year for the new trilogy with some scenes from H18, Kills, and Ends. While not exclusively about Halloween Kills, I can see them using the name simply because it'll be a big majority of what's happening in the maze.

While Resident Evil is my second favorite horror IP ever because of the games, I don't see the movie being anywhere near a hit enough to warrant a maze and Murdy just isn't that into video game mazes, so... doubtful. Hellraiser IS actually coming soon (three versions I believe: a remake, a TV show, and another crappy sequel) -- I work in the industry and they're all still in development (if memory serves me right). With that said, I don't think any of them will come in time for HHN and if they do, I see Murdy wanting to wait to see if they hit or not. Would still love to see Beetlejuice. Honestly, would still love to see Season of the Witch if Halloween Kills doesn't happen.

Ahhh it’s that time of the year, and once again here’s what I’m thinking so far:

- Chucky TV Series: I’m very surprised to see that this series is being critically praised with an RT score of 93%. Highly possible of this happening because we’ll… it’s Chucky and he sells, and this show is doing well fro

- Resident Evil: As much as I really want them to do the video games, I see it’s more possible for them to do the upcoming Sony film than the games itself. It would be a good way for them to cram RE1, and RE2 together without them having to play the source material which would take very long for Murdy, and I don’t think he’s willing to invest his time on the video games. Or better yet perhaps they can try the RE: Infinite Darkness from Netflix, although I’m clueless to which would be easier for them to acquire. But man I really want to see RE8 come to HHN :(

- The Thing: It’s not a speculation list without The Thing of course! But in all seriousness the original 1982 film is turning 40 next year, and it would be a HUGE missed opportunity for them to miss out on this. It’s been requested so many times along with Scream and Hellraiser, it would be strange not to see come considering it’s also owned by Universal.

Stranger Things 4: New season coming soon, so it’s possible for Universal to give it abother shot despite last maze being poorly done.

Classic Monsters: No idea which monster they’re gonna choose, but they definitely need The Creature of the Black Lagoon. All the monsters have gotten their fair share of glory except for our good old green water monster. Perhaps Uni could also do another monster crossover like FMTWM? Personally I’d love to see them do The Invisible Man as a solo or another crossover.

- Scream: *Sigh* I don’t want to believe it, but with the new movie coming soon, MAYBE it’s possible for Scream to finally come as a maze? I can’t remember, but I swore somebody said the rights to Scream were a now bit easier to obtain, but that’s probably just me.

- Season Of The Witch: A maze that was supposed to happen, but got canned and turned into H4. Thanks to Halloween Kills, they’ll probably bring this maze back and use their concept of throwing Michael Myers in , even though H3 never had him, but would be an interesting spin if they were to do that.

Fear Street: I’ll admit, I have not seen the films yet, but they’re was some buzz going around when this show came out. Another Netflix property for Universal to keep their eye on for sure once next year hits.

Lastly, I’m predicting 2 or 1 original maze. I do feel that Hollywood Harry might get his own maze this time seeing that he came back twice for Terror Tram, and now it might be time to get his own maze.

Also, are they going to attempt to do Beetlejuice again after that whole merchandise agreement fiasco that happened months ago? Or is that opportunity gone forever?

Figured I'd put some tweets in here that would spark up speculation.

Thanks @HHNManics for collecting all of these tweets.

I am guessing one of the houses Murdy is working on is the next Universal Monsters house (maybe the 19th century one) and the next new original for Hollywood.

As for the scripts, Chucky (TV Series) and Nope come into mind as possibilities (maybe Last Night in Soho...). I do not see him reading the script or wanting to do a Scream maze because Murdy has very famously expressed his frustration working with the rights holders for the Scream 4 Terror Tram. I also do not see him reading any Halloween scripts for the obvious Miramax reasons.

Thanks @HHNManics for collecting all of these tweets.

I am guessing one of the houses Murdy is working on is the next Universal Monsters house (maybe the 19th century one) and the next new original for Hollywood.

As for the scripts, Chucky (TV Series) and Nope come into mind as possibilities (maybe Last Night in Soho...). I do not see him reading the script or wanting to do a Scream maze because Murdy has very famously expressed his frustration working with the rights holders for the Scream 4 Terror Tram. I also do not see him reading any Halloween scripts for the obvious Miramax reasons.

Scream 5 isn't actually being handled by Miramax: It's being handled directly with Paramount.

Might even be an Orlando choice, if it's attempted. But it'd likely just be on Scream 5 than the original film.

Reactions: MikePat
Scream 5 isn't actually being handled by Miramax: It's being handled directly with Paramount.

Might even be an Orlando choice, if it's attempted. But it'd likely just be on Scream 5 than the original film.

That's where I am hesitant. If the creative teams want Scream, I think they want to go all out with Wes Cravens original.

Reactions: Freak
For the Terror Tram, do you think they might be able to have a Netflix theme? They can only do the Purge, Hollywood Harry, and Chucky so much for the Tram. Could they do Army of the Dead or Fear Street for the tram?

Status
Not open for further replies.