Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 2023 (USH) - Speculation & Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing that people can be in this industry and literally work in the realm of horror, their bread and butter, and somehow have never heard of two of the best-received horror movies of the year. (And if someone is about to chime in to say why they personally didn't like X and/or Pearl, that's not my point; my point is that these two movies did make a splash critically, so the idea that people whose job is to peddle in horror haven't even heard of them is mind-boggling.)

Especially with how much A24 horror is talked about.

Since Murdy's first treatment has been mentioned here, I would also like to point out treatment/house #2.

This tweet he posted has me VERY curious, considering he is comparing what he is writing to a scene that fans hold up to a high bar.

Murdy stated he is debating which "direction" to take it, giving me the vibe he has some creativity behind what ever this house is (maybe original/Monsters?).

Anyone hear some off-the-wall rumor about another sound stage being used for HHN? I cannot vouch for the validity of this rumor or source, but I saw a random instagram post on a random HHN fan's instagram page about stage 16 possibly being used. That is one of the stages right behind SNW. Again, source is very questionable, but just throwing it out there.

Let's assume for the sake of discussion that there's something to this rumor: if that's the case, then does that mean 17 would be for use as well? Can't really use it if there's a ton of people waiting in line causing noise with the adjacent stage being used for a house.

Anyone hear some off-the-wall rumor about another sound stage being used for HHN? I cannot vouch for the validity of this rumor or source, but I saw a random instagram post on a random HHN fan's instagram page about stage 16 possibly being used. That is one of the stages right behind SNW. Again, source is very questionable, but just throwing it out there.

Let's assume for the sake of discussion that there's something to this rumor: if that's the case, then does that mean 17 would be for use as well? Can't really use it if there's a ton of people waiting in line causing noise with the adjacent stage being used for a house.

Makes sense to me. Could even allow them to do a full overhaul of the queue-setups for ADA purposes, especially if the project trailers for SNW are finished.

Would give them SS29, SS16, and SS17; indoor spaces for larger scale houses in the scope. Helps that 8 new soundstages can help ease the issue in part of it too.

Just my opinion, Evil Dead Rise makes a lot of sense with the move to a theatrical release next year, albeit 5-6 months before HHN. No idea about rights.

I'd like to see a Dracula-focussed house for Universal Monsters, that could be a lot of fun. I hear Orlando's Dracula house in 2009 was great (they did a great Frankenstein house too). I don't think there's be any harm personally in doing multiple Uni monster houses ( as long as they're good).

Definitely not in the Jabberwokeez camp, I suspect I'm not alone there.

It's a shame that properties like Suspiria (1977) and Dog Soldiers probably don't have the brand identification to get a slot in Hollywood, plenty of great set pieces.

Wish list: Hellraiser (not sure where the rights are at - maybe someone out there will find out one day: oh wow I didn't know I owned the Hellraiser IP lol) and Tobe Hooper's version of Salem's Lot (the King of Halloween will say nada to that) - those vampires had a great look and were scary as all hell.

Rights are a funny thing, one haunt in my country had both IT and Conjuring universe mazes, but it helps they are called Warner Bros Movie World (Australia). My local haunt in Sydney had a walk through with : Jigsaw, Grady twins (Shining), Pennywise, Michael Myers, Leatherface, Freddy, Jason, Annabelle, Ghostface, the Ringu girl, the Nun, Hannibal Lecter and Carrie lol - hope I didn't miss anyone. The Weeknd nurses were roaming the streets too.

A long shot, but it's been on my mind that I'd love to see a maze based on the original Terminator in '23 or '24 (for the movie's 40th anniversary!) just because of how many horror elements are laced into it. Make the facade/start of the maze Tech Noir, and then just go from there -- the police station sequence, scenes of the future (particularly the Infiltrator in the resistance base stuff) with Kyle Reese's narration over them, the final factory showdown. It'd be a cool way to incorporate an out of the box icon at the event (a T-800) and it'd be neat to see them try and honor that character's scary roots that pop culture has kind of dulled over the decades with where the franchise took him past T2.

Yeah I heard something to that too. I actually did some theorizing on how they could do queues. Apologies for the sloppiness but green = standby, yellow = express, red = exit. I assume entrances would be in the same place as Klowns this year but arranged a bit differently to accommodate two mazes and they'd have both exit out of the SS29 path? It'll be a crowded mess regardless
Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 7.39.15 PM.png

Yeah I heard something to that too. I actually did some theorizing on how they could do queues. Apologies for the sloppiness but green = standby, yellow = express, red = exit. I assume entrances would be in the same place as Klowns this year but arranged a bit differently to accommodate two mazes and they'd have both exit out of the SS29 path? It'll be a crowded mess regardless
View attachment 17824
So 16 is back there? I was actually going off the picture from Studio Tour. Can’t keep up with the sound stage numbers changing lol

I just heard 16 would be used but yeah, I doubt they would use the stage next to 16 if it’s being used for a house. Too much noise.

So 16 is back there? I was actually going off the picture from Studio Tour. Can’t keep up with the sound stage numbers changing lol
Yup, they changed SS29 to SS15 as well. More soundstages, if not a bit chaotic from an operational standpoint, would be absolutely fantastic from a creative standpoint. Here's to hoping!
Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 9.43.21 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 9.42.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 9.42.40 PM.png
    302.2 KB · Views: 1

I just heard 16 would be used but yeah, I doubt they would use the stage next to 16 if it’s being used for a house. Too much noise.
Yup, they changed SS29 to SS15 as well. More soundstages, if not a bit chaotic from an operational standpoint, would be absolutely fantastic from a creative standpoint. Here's to hoping!
View attachment 17828

Yup---the change was made when Barham was completed. I think the only reason the stage wasn't repainted/changed until now is simply due to the pressing need of ensuring it stays constantly open right for The Weeknd during September-October/alongside being right next to Klowns.

Imagine it's getting changed now, or in a few weeks.

dude more soundstage mazes... imagine the potential...

Imagine--a The Last of Us house with some of the large and expansive sets from The Walking Dead Attraction in the scope, but for the various settings.

I can imagine now on the collapsed towers from the Summer sequence being an amazing facade starter to give that sense of height.

Okay I'm going to put together a realistic(?) speculation

- Chucky (confirmed)
- Universal Monsters Legends presents... Dracula (Dead and Loving it!... I kid I kid... lest...?)
- The Last of Us
- Scream
- Original Redux (El Cucuy? The Asylum?)
- Orlando Original transplant (Graveyard Games?)
- Evil Dead Rise
- New Original (Exterminatorz?)
- Horror Icon (Would legitimately love another Nightmare on Elm Street focused house. We've never had the original done at Hollywood. Just anyone besides Myers please lol).

Thoughts?

EDIT: Just realized Chucky fits that Horror Icon category lolz

Okay I'm going to put together a realistic(?) speculation

- Chucky (confirmed)
- Universal Monsters Legends presents... Dracula (Dead and Loving it!... I kid I kid... lest...?)
- The Last of Us
- Scream
- Original Redux (El Cucuy? The Asylum?)
- Orlando Original transplant (Graveyard Games?)
- Evil Dead Rise
- New Original (Exterminatorz?)

I have a feeling that Evil Dead Rise settings are gonna have a lot of similarities to Horror Hotel, if so I feel like we wouldn't be getting it, also the layout would have to be redone regardless unless they wanted to go cheap and easy. Murdy seems to like Bugs in Orlando from recent tweets so I really hope he does Exterminatorz.
Main reason why I doubt TLOU is because whereas Orlando was interested in doing it, Hollywood was apparently not. Also Murdy and video games don't seem to mix lol.

- Horror Icon (Would legitimately love another Nightmare on Elm Street focused house. We've never had the original done at Hollywood. Just anyone besides Myers please lol).
I believe it was done in 2007 but I'm down for a repeat.

Overall a great, realistic list, though I'm still convinced we'll see DawnFM in 2023 personally

Edit: Gonna add that if Dracula comes back, I expect his costume will get a major redesign from the mask they did this year

I have a feeling that Evil Dead Rise settings are gonna have a lot of similarities to Horror Hotel, if so I feel like we wouldn't be getting it, also the layout would have to be redone regardless unless they wanted to go cheap and easy. Murdy seems to like Bugs in Orlando from recent tweets so I really hope he does Exterminatorz.
Main reason why I doubt TLOU is because whereas Orlando was interested in doing it, Hollywood was apparently not. Also Murdy and video games don't seem to mix lol.

Funny you mention that last part, because he does seem to have a soft spot for Silent Hill. He was asked about it on Twitter recently and said he loved the lore and wouldn't mind revisiting it again... Personally, TLOU also feels like if it happens it's a bicoastal thing.

Funny you mention that last part, because he does seem to have a soft spot for Silent Hill. He was asked about it on Twitter recently and said he loved the lore and wouldn't mind revisiting it again... Personally, TLOU also feels like if it happens it's a bicoastal thing.
Important to note that not only Silent Hill 2 remake is coming out next year but also it’s film adaptation as well. Seeing as Silent Hill 2 is popular and regarded as one of the best horror games of all time, if Murdy plans to revisit it, this is the opportunity right there.

Give mine as more..properly done.

- Chucky (Original-IP thinking to me. With Mancini actively involved for both coasts, I don't think it's going to be a straight forward retelling)
- Universal Monsters presents...Creature (I think this is the year. The last of the promiments excluding Invisible Man, and I think it makes sense. Murdy has said that he has something prepped, it's just on the matter on doing it
- The Last of Us (See the reasons I established)
- DawnFM (After Hours Nightmares was one of if not the most popular and consistent houses for the event on both coasts. Add in that After Hours til Dawn is continuing the tour, alongside The Idol; and I think it makes sense [Also could've sworn it costed a lot of money for Weeknd...])
- The Exorcist (The original is still uber-popular, and the Requel comes out next year.)
- Orlando Transplant (Yeti, for my theory as I have spoken. Want to be wrong, really hope I am wrong; but it makes sense to me.)
- Scream (I think if there is a horror icon, Ghostface would be that character. Would be a first for a proper house in Hollywood, and a first at all for Orlando.)

As far as lucky number 8? Wishlist me wants Beetlejuice, to do something campy like Klowns was, but I don't think they'll touch Beetlejuice in the immediate future. El Cucuy could make a lot of sense. Would allow multiple cultural backgrounds to be represented, beyond Día De Los Muertos. They even went to the trouble of revamping the El Cucuy design to move it away from Danny Trejo's take on the being.

Locations wise..

Upper: The Walking Dead Attraction Venue & Waterworld. Think Parisian will be held up by Universal Plaza being used for the show.
Curious George: CG1, CG2. New Food stands are present due to the loss of Plaza
Lower: Mummy Venue, SS15, SS16, and SS17. Metro seems to be out of the notions due to scheduling being as it is still, and Terror Tram seems to be back for 2023 (Yes, Terror Tram is listed on the Hollywood site). Expanding the footprint to SS16 and 17, while challenging; feel optimal to me for the scenario of allowing them to have more controlled environments at the cost of the loss of venues like Parisian.

As far as if I had to lock down bets: The Exorcist, Yeti, and DawnFM. Really think all three are present.

Last edited:
On the Orlando thread, TLoU was apparently Descendants of Destruction but was mistaken for TLoU. Not saying it can't happen, but I'm not as optimistic of it happening. I still think the Netflix series will increase its chances.

I don't see Evil Dead Rise happening. Too similar to Hotel.

On the Orlando thread, TLoU was apparently Descendants of Destruction but was mistaken for TLoU. Not saying it can't happen, but I'm not as optimistic of it happening. I still think the Netflix series will increase its chances.
Ah I was under the impression it was TLoU concepts being used for DoD when the rights didn't pan out

I will say, he does seem to be opening up to the idea of games. Instead of shutting down FNaF as he has in the past, he seems to be just saying that the movie has been in a long preproduction so who knows when it'll come out (guessing there's talks for that one in 2024 but who knows). And he tweeted this so maybe you have a point

Important to note that not only Silent Hill 2 remake is coming out next year but also it’s film adaptation as well. Seeing as Silent Hill 2 is popular and regarded as one of the best horror games of all time, if Murdy plans to revisit it, this is the opportunity right there.

I do believe Silent Hill, specifically Silent Hill 2, is poised to be at the event in the future, just not next year. Something to keep an eye on...

- Orlando Transplant (Yeti, for my theory as I have spoken. Want to be wrong, really hope I am wrong; but it makes sense to me.)

I actually think youre spot on with this one. I just don't want it to be true lol. Hollywood's interpretations of spectacle mazes or mazes elsewhere always seem to fall a bit flat for me.

Ah I was under the impression it was TLoU concepts being used for DoD when the rights didn't pan out

I will say, he does seem to be opening up to the idea of games. Instead of shutting down FNaF as he has in the past, he seems to be just saying that the movie has been in a long preproduction so who knows when it'll come out (guessing there's talks for that one in 2024 but who knows). And he tweeted this so maybe you have a point

Yeah I think Murdy is just starting to get with the times as far as the rich culture of video games go. Does seem like he's had a change of heart, but I do understand where your original prejudice stems from. There's a gold mine waiting in house potential as far as video games go.

I do believe Silent Hill, specifically Silent Hill 2, is poised to be at the event in the future, just not next year. Something to keep an eye on...

I actually think youre spot on with this one. I just don't want it to be true lol. Hollywood's interpretations of spectacle mazes or mazes elsewhere always seem to fall a bit flat for me.

Yeah I think Murdy is just starting to get with the times as far as the rich culture of video games go. Does seem like he's had a change of heart, but I do understand where your original prejudice stems from. There's a gold mine waiting in house potential as far as video games go.
I think 2024 would be the best year to do a Silent Hill 2 house. It's been long enough to where I wouldn't mind having it back, but please base it exclusively on 2. Sound track and environments would be stellar.

I'm open for the Yeti. It was a great house in Orlando so I think a big yeti scaring us would be pretty cool. Just surprised he would go for the Yeti angle over the Chupacabra for a "big monster" house.

Status
Not open for further replies.