Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 22 Discussion

My memory sometimes is a little foggy but hasn't HHN always been a overly crowded event year in and year out? I could swear I have seen some of these long lines in years past whether it was in one park or both parks and even before express was even around. Im also only going by Friday and Saturday nights since I never have been on a weekday night and have tried to go earlier in the event but that hasn't always been the case either.

Going back to 2001, Hell Week has always been crowded--generally the second to last weekend, as well. Not sure 150-minute lines were ever that common, tho. (And the consistent topping out at 150 implies lines were actually longer, that's just where they quite counting). Also, earlier nights, say the first three weeks, were never that bad. This year, early opening weekend has seen Hell Week like crowds almost every night.

It's basically like Food & Wine being crowded on a Wednesday.

- - - Updated - - -

Well last night there was a line within the lines of people buying drinks in those little drink stands. And I talked to one of those nurse chicks who sells the blood bags, they have been sold out of those for a while now. They had little Halloween buckets filled with tiny jello shots going for $5.50. Even the express people had a drink stand, which the line for Gothic seemed to be about half an hour, at least that's how long I we waited after catching up to them.

No doubt they're making some money, but the REAL money is in the full drinks (with blinky cup!) and merch. Food, too, at the prices they get. And the in-line sellers require cash (many people just don't carry it anymore). There is plenty of money being left on the table with 2.5-hour lines.

Going back to 2001, Hell Week has always been crowded--generally the second to last weekend, as well. Not sure 150-minute lines were ever that common, tho. (And the consistent topping out at 150 implies lines were actually longer, that's just where they quite counting). Also, earlier nights, say the first three weeks, were never that bad. This year, early opening weekend has seen Hell Week like crowds almost every night.

- - - Updated - - -

No doubt they're making some money, but the REAL money is in the full drinks (with blinky cup!) and merch. Food, too, at the prices they get. And the in-line sellers require cash (many people just don't carry it anymore). There is plenty of money being left on the table with 2.5-hour lines.

Yeah your right, I dont think I have ever gone and saw 150min but have seen some 120min through the years. Over the years I have always tried to go earlier in the event to avoid crazy hell week crowds but this year is just out of control.

So how long until we see full bars set up along the lines :lol: Only problem is if there isnt much of a line you have to chug that thing before they let you into the house. Ive had to do that a few times, leads to a more intersting night before you really planned on it :dance:

I wouldn't wait for anything for that amount of time, Anybody who got it the that line after seeing the wait time is an idiot.

Thats just crazy. Think about it, if someone got in line at 10pm they wouldn't get out of the house 12:30am and then at that point all the house were 2 hours waits. I just couldn't fathom waiting in a line that long.

a 150 min wait for a single attraction that is brand new makes sense...but when all the other attractions are also 60-120 minute waits, that means you filled the park WAY over capacity. There is no reason why Universal should be selling that many tickets and packing the park so tightly. The majority of people stand in line all night. Where is the fun in that?

This is why i'm glad i've seen everything already early on, or i'll go early quickly. I was talking about this to a few others last night and we all agree it needs to open up to IOA. It went until 2, got extended until 2 and was almost at capacity every night from Thursday on. Saturday definitely seemed like the worst from my perspective, but especially this year with the path at Mel's blocks off and the entire Amity area demo'd, capacity for the park is way down right now so that makes it even worse.

More houses, IOA, or rides, will not ensure you can do everything in one night and will just add to capacity.
The more houses the more watered down, and shorter, they will be.

I'm going to have to disagree. This year we had only 7 houses but their overall quality did not improve - in fact, they were the same length as usual, and several were decided below par. Last year (2011) had 8 houses and many feel those were of a higher standard than this year's. It's clear that this year suffered significant budget cuts, if the 95% recycling in the streets wasn't indication enough.

More houses/shows/streets/rides/experiences means more spread out crowds, which means shorter lines, which means more attractions completed in a night... which means happier guests who are more likely to return, recommend the event to their friends, and buy merchandise. Right now the GP are getting in there after waiting an hour for a security to find 150 minute lines for everything with practically no streets... so they get to do maybe one or two houses and a ride. The scathing social media comments attest to this. They aren't happy, and Universal should have cause for concern.

how do you people go there and not have a heart attack? like i watch the YouTube videos and i have a mini seizure i'm really afraid as to what would happen if i actually went there.

Simple answer:

Its all fake

you're saying this to someone with anxiety and paranoia problems, whether i know it's fake or not i'm still going to have the **** scared out of me if it's dark and things shoot out at me from a place i can't see. i just overreact to fear.

Has anyone seen the description under the link when you Google search "universal orlando facebook".......

iw3c4nqmHgpNb.png

Not once in my life I have ever seen a Sunday this extremly packed I mean I can see Fri or Sat. My friends and I decided to endure 150 minutes of torture to The Walking Dead last night. My feet hurts but luckily we stayed onsite for the 1st time which made the trip easier. Last was Silent Hill but the scaractors were gone for the night :(

- - - Updated - - -

You know that's funny you say that, I actually heard someone say "Yeah that would be great if I had cash" I always have cash for situations like that, so the idea is still a little foreign to me.

you're saying this to someone with anxiety and paranoia problems, whether i know it's fake or not i'm still going to have the **** scared out of me if it's dark and things shoot out at me from a place i can't see. i just overreact to fear.

Coaxing someone who is apprehensive to Horror Nights can be really hard, especially when they think have anxiety and paranoia problems. If you really do have those problems as opposed to just being neurotic like the most of us, you should already know what your limits are and you should do your best to respect them. But if you're just honestly really nervous about going let me tell you the most important piece of advice:

HAVE FUN!

Seriously! Once you get over this initial fear, you'll realize what a blast Horror Nights is. Yeah, you'll be getting the s**t scared out of you but you're in a completely safe environment. But this desire to do so has to come from within you. Nobody else can force you do something you don't want to do, but we can say you'll regret it horribly if you don't get this over with.

Is anyone afraid that this style of HHN (comparatively on-the-cheap houses, no real sets for scare zones, and an abundance of IP's) is here to stay? I mean why shouldn't it, right? It's been selling out which means it's making crazy money, and the big guys at Universal see spending less money means more profit. I mean, my favorite HHN's were never this crowded, which makes me think they weren't making as much money as this year's. I feel like from the point of view of a Universal pencil-pusher, this should be the new model for all HHN's in the future. It would suck, but I think it's a possibility.

Is anyone afraid that this style of HHN (comparatively on-the-cheap houses, no real sets for scare zones, and an abundance of IP's) is here to stay? I mean why shouldn't it, right? It's been selling out which means it's making crazy money, and the big guys at Universal see spending less money means more profit. I mean, my favorite HHN's were never this crowded, which makes me think they weren't making as much money as this year's. I feel like from the point of view of a Universal pencil-pusher, this should be the new model for all HHN's in the future. It would suck, but I think it's a possibility.

This. Thank you for acknowledging the grim future this year potentially results in.

Great point. HHN is about to suffer from DisneyWorld-itis..they are the top, they know they are the top, and tourists know they are the top..They'll keep coming in droves to see their favorite properties...honestly HOS is doing a better job than HHN, sure HHN has the nice sets and sound effects but it is starting to become a meet and great more than a horror event. I have only been going to HHN since 2006 and I can honestly say the event has changed and not in a way that it should be. This year really felt like a throwback year to what made HHN great. That unfortunately was not the case this year, it was a year of "let's see how many people we can get into the gate with these names". It is interesting how the quality and growth of HHN is so opposite of what is happening with the Resort

Great point. HHN is about to suffer from DisneyWorld-itis..they are the top, they know they are the top, and tourists know they are the top..They'll keep coming in droves to see their favorite properties...honestly HOS is doing a better job than HHN, sure HHN has the nice sets and sound effects but it is starting to become a meet and great more than a horror event. I have only been going to HHN since 2006 and I can honestly say the event has changed and not in a way that it should be. This year really felt like a throwback year to what made HHN great. That unfortunately was not the case this year, it was a year of "let's see how many people we can get into the gate with these names". It is interesting how the quality and growth of HHN is so opposite of what is happening with the Resort

I've been saying this since the talk of major IPs/7 houses/no zones/no icon/no story began. I'm glad others are beginning to see where I'm coming from - it's cause for great concern.

Isn't John Murdy having a little more say in the Orlando department? I know Hollywood's HHNs are relatively general, that could probably be the case.