Halloween Horror Nights 22 Discussion | Page 137 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 22 Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So another couple quick questions for me, heading there tomorrow night, probably will get there around 6:00, will it be crowded when I arrive? And should I head straight then turn around after the first 2 or 3 houses and hit up the other side of the park, or just go straight right and jump from house to house?

So another couple quick questions for me, heading there tomorrow night, probably will get there around 6:00, will it be crowded when I arrive? And should I head straight then turn around after the first 2 or 3 houses and hit up the other side of the park, or just go straight right and jump from house to house?

Yes

Nooooooooooooo!
It needs to sell out, opening more crap will not make it better.

Selling out does the event no favors. I'll say it again, online fanbois with FFPs are not the bulk of the money for this event. The people paying $80 a night are the economic engine. Nobody paying that money wants to wait 2.5+ hours for an average house like TWD. Nobody paying that money wants to do only two houses in a night--especially without any scare zones to make up for it. I can only imagine guest satisfaction numbers must be horrible after that. (This is based on personal experience--when I lived in Daytona and was still ignorant of multi-day tickets, I skipped either 2003 or 2004 after paying full price to see only two houses the year before.)

Equally importantly to Universal, guests in line for 2.5 hours aren't buying a whole lot. If they carry cash--rarer and rarer every year--they might buy one overpriced beer or Powerade in line, but the $10 blinky cups? A round of shots? $25 T-shirts? Dinner? Nope. This is the whole reason Michael Eisner pioneered FastPass at Disney. Guests in line don't spend money; FastPass was (and still is) intended to let you spend that hour you would have stood in line for Space Mountain out in a gift shop or grabbing a burger, putting more cash in the Mouse's pocket.

I assume we're not calling the new scaractor troops "crap." So quality people are theoretically available, they found like 80 on the spot last week. With time, and admittedly resources, the design team is capable of creating more houses--I'm sure they have no shortage of ideas. And IoA has quite a few rides ready to go, a couple of which could be sold as a different experience after dark, much like Jaws was. Planned out from the beginning--and not thrown together because Publix sold too many tickets--I think a two-park event could be a quality experience that still manages to diffuse crowds somewhat.

I went Thursday and got every house done... Plus an extra one.

The streets actors were actually pretty good... I saw them everywhere we went, I barely saw a dead zone.

Selling out does the event no favors. I'll say it again, online fanbois with FFPs are not the bulk of the money for this event. The people paying $80 a night are the economic engine. Nobody paying that money wants to wait 2.5+ hours for an average house like TWD. Nobody paying that money wants to do only two houses in a night--especially without any scare zones to make up for it. I can only imagine guest satisfaction numbers must be horrible after that. (This is based on personal experience--when I lived in Daytona and was still ignorant of multi-day tickets, I skipped either 2003 or 2004 after paying full price to see only two houses the year before.)

Equally importantly to Universal, guests in line for 2.5 hours aren't buying a whole lot. If they carry cash--rarer and rarer every year--they might buy one overpriced beer or Powerade in line, but the $10 blinky cups? A round of shots? $25 T-shirts? Dinner? Nope. This is the whole reason Michael Eisner pioneered FastPass at Disney. Guests in line don't spend money; FastPass was (and still is) intended to let you spend that hour you would have stood in line for Space Mountain out in a gift shop or grabbing a burger, putting more cash in the Mouse's pocket.

I assume we're not calling the new scaractor troops "crap." So quality people are theoretically available, they found like 80 on the spot last week. With time, and admittedly resources, the design team is capable of creating more houses--I'm sure they have no shortage of ideas. And IoA has quite a few rides ready to go, a couple of which could be sold as a different experience after dark, much like Jaws was. Planned out from the beginning--and not thrown together because Publix sold too many tickets--I think a two-park event could be a quality experience that still manages to diffuse crowds somewhat.

I agree, and I have said before those passes should be done away with... and express should never have been included with them either. People that are there for two-three hours aren't spending much money... if any.
Conversly a good event makes me want the merchandise (and good mechansie of course) not just the time to spend money.
I say no to IOA simply because it wil lead to more crowding if they get more area for them to populate.

I agree, and I have said before those passes should be done away with... and express should never have been included with them either. People that are there for two-three hours aren't spending much money... if any.
Conversly a good event makes me want the merchandise (and good mechansie of course) not just the time to spend money.
I say no to IOA simply because it wil lead to more crowding if they get more area for them to populate.

Why get rid of the FFP? I understand your logic behind removing express, but if I'm local and want to visit multiple nights, I'm not going to want to buy a ticket for everynight.

Why get rid of the FFP? I understand your logic behind removing express, but if I'm local and want to visit multiple nights, I'm not going to want to buy a ticket for everynight.

He thinks they devalue a regular park ticket, and to a certain extent they do, with the limited run and all. But, it's really not those people who are killing attendance. Especially since literally none of those people could be there last night. If we sold out on a Friday night, it would raise an interesting question but we still haven't and probably won't. Those passes that "devalue" the regular HHN ticket inject a lot of money into the parks. There are atleast 2k if not more people who would not be there that night without those passes and spending money. They make most of their money off Food, Bev, and Merch anyways.

The icons from my understanding were for a special event and not in the streets.

He thinks they devalue a regular park ticket, and to a certain extent they do, with the limited run and all. But, it's really not those people who are killing attendance. Especially since literally none of those people could be there last night. If we sold out on a Friday night, it would raise an interesting question but we still haven't and probably won't. Those passes that "devalue" the regular HHN ticket inject a lot of money into the parks. There are atleast 2k if not more people who would not be there that night without those passes and spending money. They make most of their money off Food, Bev, and Merch anyways.

Makes sense. I see Octobers Fade's point, but I think getting rid of the FFP would only infuriate locals and not really affect crowds and wait times.

Do we think next Sunday will be busy? I've been every night and just gotten acclimated to the crowds, so I was wondering if anyone knew if something would be going on that would cause it to be busier.

Next sunday will definitely not be as busy as tonight will be. After tonight, things will be slowing down more and more as Halloween nears.

At one point tonight, nothing was below 100 minutes. Just crazy. Most of the houses didn't open on time because everything was crazy and there wasn't enough room in some of the holding areas.

Everyone must have been in the houses then. I have no idea what goes on with the houses, but tonight didn't seem nearly as crowded on the streets as last night.

Just got back. The streets were crowded, but not unbearable. All of the houses hovered around 100 minutes, waited that long for Gothic wasn't fun. Left at around midnight due to just how crowded it really was, our feet were really sore and just wasn't worth it. Rockit and Mummy hovered around 75-90 minutes, with Mummy running both sides. It seemed like at around midnight all of the scare actors around the the DM/Rockit area disappeared, any reason this might be? By the way had time to do Gothic, House of Horrors, Penn and Teller, Alice Cooper, Mummy, and DM. Had time for maybe one more house to squeeze in, but like I said no one was game to stand in a line for that much longer. Kind of stinks having to pay full price for an event that your almost guaranteed to not have enough time to do every house though. But hey could have been worse.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and all other rides hovered from around 30-60 minutes. Besides Mummy+Rockit.