Halloween Horror Nights 24 Discussion | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 24 Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I agree Walking Dead shouldn't come back...but I do worry that it might. The fact that it's latest season premiere got over 16 million viewers alone is a pretty big eyebrow-raiser. Not to mention that it continues to do extremely well merchandise sales-wise. But oh boy has it overstayed its welcome in the event. Seriously, I'll take anything over TWD again. Anything. Because at least it'd be something new.

I also agree that they shouldn't do any video game houses again, since judging by the last two, it's not exactly something A&D is very good at.

What I want from next year the most is quite simply an overarching theme again. The lack of it has hurt the event quite a bit the past two years, IMO.

I agree Walking Dead shouldn't come back...but I do worry that it might. The fact that it's latest season premiere got over 16 million viewers alone is a pretty big eyebrow-raiser. Not to mention that it continues to do extremely well merchandise sales-wise. But oh boy has it overstayed its welcome in the event. Seriously, I'll take anything over TWD again. Anything. Because at least it'd be something new.

I also agree that they shouldn't do any video game houses again, since judging by the last two, it's not exactly something A&D is very good at.

What I want from next year the most is quite simply an overarching theme again. The lack of it has hurt the event quite a bit the past two years, IMO.

I'll say this.. I was fine with a Walking Dead house this year. The 3rd season really made it where it had lots of settings that could lend itself to a good haunt. Prison houses are always interesting and a fun concept, so when you mix in a money maker it's a no brainer. I figured there would be a SZ tied to it like last year which was whatever...

However, the absolute overuse of TWD this year was nothing short of nauseating. I'm by no means a huge fan of the show or a hater, but crap, it was just a joke. The "scarezones" were weak, too many dead areas, and the repetitive nature of it was just too much. This isn't to offend any SAs on here, you guys made do with what you were given. It's just not something I'd want to see ever again.

Walking Dead CANNOT be involved again next year. I think even the GP who attended it last year and this year are probably exhausted of it. I haven't seen last week's episode yet but I'd like to think the setting of the prison is going to remain.. so a 3rd house makes little/no sense.

But this is where American Horror Story comes in. This is your new Walking Dead in terms of popularity and starting to lend it to HHN late into it's run you have more material to work with. I've never watched, but the fact that there are 3 seasons with 3 separate storylines worries me a bit. I hope I'm wrong but I can definitely see there being complete over exposure of AHS next year.

If AHS happens, they'll probably just go with Coven. It'd have the best sets out of the three seasons (though Asylum is pretty close) and it's the most recent. AHS would be the perfect yearly IP house since it's different every single year.

No more video games, no more walking dead please. Side note, the sheer thought of a bioshock house makes me want to puke.

Agreed. I love the Bioshock games, but I think Saws n' Steam is as close as we'll get to seeing it translated into a house.

I can deal with IP's, but they need some heart behind them and I'd really rather not deal with repeats. This year's event illustrated that really well, in my opinion. Cabin in the Woods, Evil Dead, and American Werewolf in London were great IP houses. It was obvious from the start that these houses were ones that A&D really cared a lot about (especially AWiL). The Walking Dead and Resident Evil, however, weren't anything special, in my opinion.

I think this year also further illustrated that originals aren't always better than IP's. It's nice to see creative new ideas, but I'd rather have an amazing IP house (Cabin, ED, AWiL) than a decent original house (Afterlife, Havoc). On the flip side, I really hope we see an actual icon/backstory next year.

Okay. Whoever keeps suggesting Treehouse of Horror, stop. That makes so little sense and runs so contrary to the rest of the HHN "brand" and target audience. I don't think a Treehouse of Horror event of some sort is out of the question, but it'll be a daytime overlay of the new additions, not an HHN house. Let's think reasonably here.

I don't think a 2 park event is completely out of the question at this point. I'm not saying it's likely, but it's worth considering. The crowd control was better this year, but they're still clearly choked for space. Expanding out to Toon Lagoon (for the B&T stage) and including the marvel rides would do much to alleviate a lot of the traffic concerns...

If I were a reasonable decision maker for HHN, I'd say that the event has grown to require a 9th house. This won't happen, as we barely got enough budget for the 8 we had this year. (Seriously, La Llorona was a blatant retread of Catacombs & Forsaken, while Afterlife was the biggest joke of an HHN house I've ever experienced, and I went through The Spawning.)

If we had to guess about what properties we'll inevitably get? American Horror Story seems likely. I wish they'd do Murderhouse, but for marketing purposes they'll probably just do Coven, which is fine but whatever. I would expect at least one movie tie-in (isn't Sinister a Universal film, and isn't that getting a sequel next year? I could see it). I'd expect at least one Hollywood hand-me-down, so either Insidious, El Cucuy, or both. Walking Dead... I'd like to say no. Not enough variation in the new season, they'd be really reaching for material... but marketing could twist creative's arm and force them to turn out a shoddy product (again).

I hope they're done with video game houses, but it really doesn't seem like they are (even though they've demonstrated they can't pull them off at all) - so I'd expect Dead Space or another property of a similar pedigree.

Reactions: Jakemeister
I want to see a Metallica maze at HHN 24. I have so many ides for a Metallica house going through my head right now. Plus with the new movie that cam out last month, it could make a house with scenes from the movie or an original house based off the lyrics of the band's greatest hits.

Last edited:
I don't think a 2 park event is completely out of the question at this point. I'm not saying it's likely, but it's worth considering. The crowd control was better this year, but they're still clearly choked for space. Expanding out to Toon Lagoon (for the B&T stage) and including the marvel rides would do much to alleviate a lot of the traffic concerns...

I completely agree with this. I would also add having all of the Seuss rides open (minus Sky Trolley since drunk people + slow moving ride in the air = disaster), and as bleh as an attraction it is, have Shrek open too just to eat up some guests. The more rides, the more capacity, the better. They could also take advantage of the extra space and have another scare zone in Marvel or a portion of PoE.

And if they ever do expand the budget for a ninth house, or they aren't able to have a fourth soundstage house again, using the Carnage Warehouse would certainly be the ideal choice.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I feel like Quarantine, Alien, and The Descent are no-brainers for houses. They would be much easier to translate to a house than any other IP this year given their settings and overall atmospheres. Maybe the rights would be a lot harder to attain, and two of those movies are now completely irrelevant, but the IPs this year weren't Universal properties OR smashing box office successes either so who knows. I would also really, really love a Hills Have Eyes house, with a return to those bloody gory scenes that made HHN what it was pre-2009. But I know realistically nothing like this will happen.

I think we will see Walking Dead again. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Walking Dead took over all of the streets again. And I think that a Walking Dead house is an absolute given (not that that's a bad thing since this year's house was pretty solid). The ONLY way I think that HHN would be TWD-free next year is if AMC sees the revenue Universal's generating and decides to increase the price of the rights to the point where it's not worth it to Universal. Even then that's unlikely because TWD is a huge moneymaker and I'm sure some sort of contract is worked out. I really think that TWD and heavy IP-usage is a given. However, I think the novelty that made the Walking Dead TV series such a hit will die down soon, and by 2015 we could be Walking Dead-free. Hopefully.

If AHS happens, they'll probably just go with Coven. It'd have the best sets out of the three seasons (though Asylum is pretty close) and it's the most recent. AHS would be the perfect yearly IP house since it's different every single year.

The Coven won't be the one they'll use, if they go the AHS route. I might eat those words but from a business stand point they could get a lot of flack and lose business because of the storylines controversy via rape and incest.

What isn't being touched on is a lot of so called IP properties have already been done at HHN. Saws N Steam is the only thing that's been mentioned, but they've done spirtual continuations of a lot of properties.

Last edited:
The Coven won't be the one they'll use, if they go the AHS route. I might eat those words but from a business stand point they could get a lot of flack and lose business because of the storylines controversy via rape and incest.

There's rape in every season so it's a moot point

What isn't being touched on is a lot of so called IP properties have already been done at HHN. Saws N Steam is the only thing that's been mentioned, but they've done spirtual continuations of a lot of properties.

That doesn't really make a difference from a marketing standpoint. Interstellar Terror was a lot like Event Horizon...but the people Universal is trying to get through the gates (people who didn't go in 2008) don't know that. The point of IP-usage is to bring familiar places to guests who associate with said property so they will be attracted to an event they may not otherwise care about. Bringing an IP isn't about creativity, it's about attracting certain demographics who don't associate with an IP's "original" counterpart.

My predictions for HHN 24

IP's
Poltergeist
Frankenstein
Dracula
Scream
Stephen Kings IT

Original Content
Catacombs 2
Creatures 2
Sleepy Hollow / Headless Horseman

Is Scream really something that would translate that well into a full blown haunted house. It's all Ghostface and victims. Granted we did have Saw which was just Pigface, 1 Jigsaw, and victims.

I think with the success of the IP houses this year we may see even more in 2014. I really like the Walking Dead series, however, so far this year the set has still been in the prison. So unless that changes, or the new show (dont know much about it) has a cool set location, I dont how they would pull off another WD house without being very redundant. I also am not that concerned with a overall coherent theme. I treat each scarezone and house independently. So as long as the content of each is solid, then I dont really put much stock in wrapping all the houses together (which neither has Universal over the past few years).

With that in mind and after reading through this thread, here are some IP's that I think would be cool and make sense (based on popularity and up coming releases)
Frankenstein
Dracula or Van Helsing
Alien(s) - A few cool puppets like AWIL would be outstanding, not to mention overall costumes for scare actors.
AHS - Lots of opportunities here
Insidious - Not a huge fan, but seems like a popular franchise
Hitchcock house - scenes from his classics
Stephen King house - scenes from his classics
Walking Dead - I hope they don't have one, but wouldn't be surprised if they do

I also think it would be cool to have a Tree House of Horror in the tent house back by the Simpsons/MIB. Just because its a cartoon doesn't mean the house couldn't be scary and funny at the same time. I am probably in the minority, but I really liked Penn and Tellers house last year and see it being similar to that (minus the 3D).

The last thing I hope they bring back this year is just some Halloween decorations. I miss the stilt walkers of Pumpkin heads and Grim reapers. I like each scare zone have a different life of its own with one of them just being Halloween.

No Treehouse of Horrors. Are we seriously still suggesting this? Have you guys been to Halloween Horror Nights?

Stephen King would be awesome, but he's been pretty indignant about not licensing his works to haunts. A shame, really, but I wouldn't expect that any time soon. The only Hitchcock adaptation I see occurring is a sequel in the Psychopath franchise (which hasn't had an iteration since 2006's abstract effort)... and I don't think that's very likely either for 2014.

I still think it's too soon for the classic monsters. We just had them in 2012. What demands them to get stand alone houses again?

Agreed with the American Horror Story rape not being an issue... they just won't portray it in the house, even though a GIMP assault scene could be pretty grisly.

As far as game houses go, I don't know, Silent hill to me felt like it was based all on the movie and not on the game at all, Pyramid Head was huge like in the movie, we got the bathroom guy twice, I know there movie and the games were close, but I could see how they probably watched the movie and went with that.

Resident Evil was actually based on the games and look at what happened... it sucked. Seems like if they have a movie to work from they do better than having something like an entire video game? Sure they can obviously just take scenes from the games and work with that, but the fact that Silent hill resembled the movie more and RE being bad, sounds like the problem with game houses is that there is too much to try to condense in a small house?

No Treehouse of Horrors. Are we seriously still suggesting this? Have you guys been to Halloween Horror Nights?

The content could be very creepy, plus they have a ton of material that the house could be based on. Just because the material is cartoon based does not mean it couldn't be scary or even gory for that matter. But I really think its a mute point as I doubt they would do it.

I still think it's too soon for the classic monsters. We just had them in 2012. What demands them to get stand alone houses again?
I liked the Monster house last year, but it was essentially all the big name classics from Universal. But I believe there is Frankenstein and Dracula reboot coming out, so that is why I was thinking they might go with one of those.