Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion | Page 208 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
poop, I wasn't thinking when I typed that lol. I just looked at the date and saw Halloween fell on a Friday (at least I think when I used a back calendar)....obviously it can't be the 31st.

So the event itself has been slower this year? So it sounds like what I'm expecting. The 30th and 31st will be a lot less busy than other nights. I would rather chance Halloween rather than the 30th because the 30th still has less options (even being a Monday).

It's cool for making jokes, haha yeah my mistake. Thanks for the input. Really appreciate it

Not prepared to dismiss lack of TWD out of hand, but I suspect the loss of The Conjuring hurt attendance as much if not more. And the supporting players--a show from a cable network no one gets and a difficult-to-process, sequel-free movie from 37 years ago--didn't really make up any of that ground. Said before, but there really is a limited universe of universally beloved horror IPs. To keep up the current model, probably need to start expanding to more sci fi (e.g. Alien), maybe fantasy (Labyrinth? Legend?) or even comedy (Ghostbusters? Beetlejuice?).

Then again, AHS hasn't been pulling the multi-hour lines this year, either, and that's the closest thing we have to a "control" in this equation. Word around town (can't vouch for source, why I hadn't shared) is UOR is down 6-8% this year. If guests, particularly APs, aren't going to the resort, probably not making the extra effort to go to HHN.

Alternatively, the crowds are just spread out more evenly...except for Ash.

If guests, particularly APs, aren't going to the resort, probably not making the extra effort to go to HHN.

And this is where forsaking the past and local marketing hurts. This is where building the event around a central theme and icon helps; give the locals/your base some ownership over something they're familiar/comfortable with.

Or you know, maybe people are still dealing with hurricane recovery or are afraid to travel to Florida because weather?

No. That represents a very small fraction of Florida near where the eye hit. After a week or so, most of Florida was back on schedule.

I think that is one of the reasons why AHS has much lower waits this year, as a lot of people are drawn to Saw. Ash has low waits because it is so isolated I think.

That, and that it's not a "known" IP, and it's not getting positive reviews.

Reactions: SeventyOne
And this is where forsaking the past and local marketing hurts. This is where building the event around a central theme and icon helps; give the locals/your base some ownership over something they're familiar/comfortable with.
That's not the narrative Universal will hear.

Stronger IP years = Higher attendance
Weaker IP year (which this is by no stretch of the imagination) = lower attendance

Granted, a botched marketing effort affected both coasts. But this year's biggest get was The Shining. For MOST of the GP, they won't care about a decades old film.

And I'll preach from the high heavens icons aren't necessary. For a decade, they were a crutch. Fans clamor for them while ignoring the mediocrity of Elsa, Fear and Luck (and arguably Chance). Personally, I think Usher would is lame too. An cogent campaign without an icon (Breaking Point - 2004, Primal Scream - 1999) can be more effective and memorable than a hackneyed attempt to fill the icon "need" (Elsa, Fear, Luck).

What Universal needs is a small team (2-3 people) who know HHN history and focus solely on marketing that event alone. They serve as liaisons between A&D and Marketing and THEY determine if the event A&D designs has an icon-worthy character to leverage and, if not, they parse-out how everything is connected that year so they can build a campaign around it.

Im not saying it should come back lol,
But the park definitely feels a little less busy than before.
The streets dont feel as jammed.

Yes this is exactly how I felt. It was very weird.

Last Sunday night had only a 15 minute wait for Ash during the peak hours at one point. And the MIB / House Entrance/Exits area was a lot less crowded then before. That whole area is a CF and it was manageable Sunday night. I could actually breath in that area.

I guess B&T and AOV could of had their shows going on then but I don't know.

Last edited:
Not prepared to dismiss lack of TWD out of hand, but I suspect the loss of The Conjuring hurt attendance as much if not more. And the supporting players--a show from a cable network no one gets and a difficult-to-process, sequel-free movie from 37 years ago--didn't really make up any of that ground. Said before, but there really is a limited universe of universally beloved horror IPs. To keep up the current model, probably need to start expanding to more sci fi (e.g. Alien), maybe fantasy (Labyrinth? Legend?) or even comedy (Ghostbusters? Beetlejuice?).

Then again, AHS hasn't been pulling the multi-hour lines this year, either, and that's the closest thing we have to a "control" in this equation. Word around town (can't vouch for source, why I hadn't shared) is UOR is down 6-8% this year. If guests, particularly APs, aren't going to the resort, probably not making the extra effort to go to HHN.

I would definitely love a Predator house, a beetlejuice house would be pretty awesome. It would actually be amazing seeing how creepy and messed up the ghosts in it are. Beetlejuice would be a creepy scary looking funny house.

I think it could do uni good to expand a little. Hhn has always had sci fi elements to it, just look at the ufo zone this year.

Even ghostbusters would be cool.
Or the other

Reactions: Joel and SeventyOne
This year feels less crowded than previous years.
I can feel the difference. The line houses might still be long but the park overall feelsless crowded.

I do wonder if the walking dead really did make that much of a difference.

Alternatively, the crowds are just spread out more evenly...except for Ash.

Yes, I still don’t think folks are recognizing that having so many good houses (and lots of long exits) helps spread the crowds around well, but I would imagine it is slower this year.

Or you know, maybe people are still dealing with hurricane recovery or are afraid to travel to Florida because weather?

took us in Ft. Lauderdale 2 weeks before we had power :censored:

When we went up, I spoke to workers at RPR that were still w/o power (week 2 of HHN).

Events like that take many tolls. The cost of prep, extra supplies, lost groceries. For some, giving up Entertainment funds to get the budget back on track is the easiest path. Many little events, fl press, global economy, new president...take your pick...a little of this...a little of that...I never saw a line more than two deep at any of the tent bars, so I assume that might also make guest spend numbers hurt a little...but they sold more hotel rooms (cause the have more rooms and it is still tough to get one during HHN nights....

Reactions: Joel and SeventyOne
About to go to HHN for the second time on Friday, which is a first for me.
When I went a few weeks ago, it got pretty busy in some areas, should I expect heavier crowds or just the same amount?

The veterans can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this coming weekend is the busiest of the event. Expect higher crowds than you saw a few weeks ago for sure.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Yes, I still don’t think folks are recognizing that having so many good houses (and lots of long exits) helps spread the crowds around well, but I would imagine it is slower this year.

When we went up, I spoke to workers at RPR that were still w/o power (week 2 of HHN).

Events like that take many tolls. The cost of prep, extra supplies, lost groceries. For some, giving up Entertainment funds to get the budget back on track is the easiest path. Many little events, fl press, global economy, new president...take your pick...a little of this...a little of that...I never saw a line more than two deep at any of the tent bars, so I assume that might also make guest spend numbers hurt a little...but they sold more hotel rooms (cause the have more rooms and it is still tough to get one during HHN nights....

Ok that makes sense.

When I went a few weeks ago, it got pretty busy in some areas, should I expect heavier crowds or just the same amount?

Last week before halloween is the last chance for a lot of people. Specially that friday.

Likely the busiest night of the event. Halloween weekend, so everyone is "in the the mood" for haunted houses, and very little else going on. As opposed to Saturday, when downtown and I-Drive 360 and every podunk bar in town is having a costume contest and drink specials. Also, quite a few locals have Frequent Fear Plus which gets them in Friday, but not Saturday.

An idea just scampered into my brain...

Many of the 'failed' icons are female. So I was thinking of popular and profitable female iconography.

Disney Princess.

So, what if they did a deranged "Disney" Princess who is ruling over her kingdom of horror? "The scariest place on earth!"