Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion | Page 188 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
In the post, they are planning something for their Studio Tour. So maybe either A) they wont have the room due to an addition from their studio tour or B) they are going to put in some sort of year round installation surrounding their horror films. Probably not using live actors, more like you get to walk through or see something from a classic WB horror film.
This. It doesn’t say it’s going away forever, just taking the year off. This will possibly result in better builds/ bigger budgets for 2020 (which the event desperately needs.)

Reactions: Kadath and Oakley
Pretty smart move on their part, TBH--wait until Universal has all its IPs locked and say you're just taking one year off.

LOL. If Universal had the chance to throw IT into the mix they'd probably jump on it.

Again, I'm not saying they definitely have that chance, but if they do, I doubt they'd say, "Nah, let's stick with a Rob Zombie movie no one cares about."

LOL. If Universal had the chance to throw IT into the mix they'd probably jump on it.

Again, I'm not saying they definitely have that chance, but if they do, I doubt they'd say, "Nah, let's stick with a Rob Zombie movie no one cares about."
Except that a lot of people, including me, love Ho1C, so...a bit stretching with that "no one cares about."

You know what I mean.

Ask 99% of people what HO1TC is and they'll look at you with confusion. Ask them what IT is and they'll know exactly what to tell you.
Than the more appropriate phrase would have been "that no one knows about."

Last edited:
Reactions: Kadath
I can say from personal experience the Exorcist house definitely just had...something else about it. It was the last night I was going to be at the event, and my boyfriend had tapped out for the evening, so I decided to just get another solo run in.

Mind you, I had been through this house about 5 or 6 times over the past three days, so the layout was pretty familiar. Usually by the final few runs we're just taking in the scenic and admiring the craftsmanship, because the scares and unknown elements have been pretty well committed to memory.

I ended up in a completely solo run (the group in front of me bolted, and there was no one behind me), which I've done before, but there was just this building sense of dread the entire time. I rarely get anxiety, or at least I can separate out in my mind manufactured anxiety vs. authentic unease, and yet this was on a whole other level. I was genuinely happy to leave the house, and it really did feel like a weight had been lifted.

Sorry for the thread drift, but didn't Mike Aiello confirm after the event that the house used subsonic frequencies to instill feelings of general unease? I remember thinking it was an odd, questionably ethical use of military tech but perfectly suited to that IP.

This. It doesn’t say it’s going away forever, just taking the year off. This will possibly result in better builds/ bigger budgets for 2020 (which the event desperately needs.)

As of now, I wouldn’t bet on it. I don’t think they’re out of the Halloween market, but I don’t think they’re gonna be competitors to Knott’s or HHN.

But this is best saved for the other thread.

Murdy tweet from Friday:

Mike tweet from Friday:

Gonna bet Ghostbusters.

As of now, I wouldn’t bet on it. I don’t think they’re out of the Halloween market, but I don’t think they’re gonna be competitors to Knott’s or HHN.

But this is best saved for the other thread.

As long as they're withholding their properties from HHN they absolutely are competitors.

Reactions: Darko
As long as they're withholding their properties from HHN they absolutely are competitors.

That’s an extremely short-sighted take. They can refuse HHN to use any of their properties while also not doing anything. Beyond that, “Come explore the set of the Nun” is not going to compete with the SoCal haunts.

Sorry for the thread drift, but didn't Mike Aiello confirm after the event that the house used subsonic frequencies to instill feelings of general unease? I remember thinking it was an odd, questionably ethical use of military tech but perfectly suited to that IP.

I remember talking with Aiello on Twitter about it. I don’t remember anything about frequencies, but he did say he would hear weird noises when they were programming the house, as well as having the feeling of being surrounded.

I will say, during the UTH tour, I felt very uneasy in the spinning head room. So for Aiello to say he also had some odd experiences in that room was quite eerie.

I run 3 12 inch subs (a bit higher end than the general consumer) in my home theater and I get down to 15-16 Hz in there with the right material. Lots of others do too and the really, really good subs can get you down to 11/12 Hz!

And you will notice in most suspenseful/scary movies they do the same thing (if you have equipment that can reproduce the sub-sonic stuff below 20 Hz). Since movies and tv do it, and lots of folks voluntarily do it at home, I don't think it really hits ethical boundaries unless you find the brown note.

That’s an extremely short-sighted take. They can refuse HHN to use any of their properties while also not doing anything. Beyond that, “Come explore the set of the Nun” is not going to compete with the SoCal haunts.

I remember talking with Aiello on Twitter about it. I don’t remember anything about frequencies, but he did say he would hear weird noises when they were programming the house, as well as having the feeling of being surrounded.

I will say, during the UTH tour, I felt very uneasy in the spinning head room. So for Aiello to say he also had some odd experiences in that room was quite eerie.

Now I want to do a UTH tour with an EMF meter. EMFs produce similar sensations. With all the electrical wiring introduced to a house, it could be as simple as the electronics in the SS creating the sensation.

Or ghosts. I, personally, want it to be ghosts.

Added thought: Horror has been using sounds to create uneasy feeling for years. Augmented chords produce similar sensations of disquiet.

I remember reading that. Not sure it quite qualifies as "unethical" - horror movies have been doing it for ages (Paranormal Activity slips it into any of the haunting scenes).

Mmmmmmm....Maybe don't get too excited just yet. It sounds like they're planning on doing it next year, but maybe taking this year off.

View attachment 9296

It'd still give them a year to potentially bring a concept from the past back for HHN; especially if Universal was told of this ahead of time through upper-levels.

If it happens, I may not be as shocked, but I could see it go either way.