Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion | Page 575 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Oh that actually sounds amazing?

Not to be like “this generation...” or whatever but why on earth did Universal give up on actor and/or practical effect-led attractions that felt Hollywood? Beetlejuice, Twister, Earthquake, and I guess now also Terminator, I’ll miss you...

To keep this on the HHN theme with the thread, it almost feels like that’s the only thing still keeping the park feel production-based. During the regular year, Fallon is maybe the closest thing to “look how entertainment is made!” but you also go into space, so, yknow...

But HHN employs the use of so many neat practical effects, and when it does use screens, it tends to use them very, very effectively, and I miss that about older attractions. Yes, the image quality of Fast and Furious is notable, but I’m living for that actual spectacle and awe that comes with last year’s flying witch and this year’s bungee Wolfman, yknow? That’s probably why I’m so into the event, beyond the general artistry.
I would say that you're comparing Apples and Oranges, but to give my opinion on your questions:

Behind the scenes/Ride the movies aesthetic - This changed based on the pallet of guests that wanted more immersive environments and worlds, Harry Potter really ushered in this era as the new template to base theme park attractions around. I suppose they felt that changing from 'look how your favorite media is made' to 'step inside a fully realized world of your favorite media' is much more exciting to the average person and much more lucritive to the resort as a whole. This honestly makes a ton of sense, and I personally don't think that Universal has lost any edge in this regard. When you think about it, HHN has adopted this model just as much as the parks.

Screens vs practical - I think here is where the parks have lost a bit of magic but seem to be steering back. To be honest though, screens are reliable, predictable, and provide a consistent ride for a much lower price tag. I get it. I think Universal saw this opportunity and ran with it for a while, now I think they are understanding their model and what people want no longer support rides like this. In other words, the immersion must be seamless and screens in their current iteration just can't deliver on that.

Set driven/practical elements of HHN - To be honest, it's not like HHN has a choice of whether or not to be a practical/set driven event. At the end of the day an event like HHN will always be theater. Where I see them losing a bit of edge in the coming years is with their creative scare tactics. The obsession with creating a 'scene' rather than a 'scare' may start to bite them in the butt a little, but we shall see. Overall, HHN is pretty locked in with what they can/can't do. I have seen more projection used at HHN, but I don't think it is in any danger of remaining practical...It has to be that way.

Side note: do we think Braillard is the next Aiello?

Reactions: neoshinok and UNIrd
I would say that you're comparing Apples and Oranges, but to give my opinion on your questions:

Behind the scenes/Ride the movies aesthetic - This changed based on the pallet of guests that wanted more immersive environments and worlds, Harry Potter really ushered in this era as the new template to base theme park attractions around. I suppose they felt that changing from 'look how your favorite media is made' to 'step inside a fully realized world of your favorite media' is much more exciting to the average person and much more lucritive to the resort as a whole. This honestly makes a ton of sense, and I personally don't think that Universal has lost any edge in this regard. When you think about it, HHN has adopted this model just as much as the parks.

Screens vs practical - I think here is where the parks have lost a bit of magic but seem to be steering back. To be honest though, screens are reliable, predictable, and provide a consistent ride for a much lower price tag. I get it. I think Universal saw this opportunity and ran with it for a while, now I think they are understanding their model and what people want no longer support rides like this. In other words, the immersion must be seamless and screens in their current iteration just can't deliver on that.

Set driven/practical elements of HHN - To be honest, it's not like HHN has a choice of whether or not to be a practical/set driven event. At the end of the day an event like HHN will always be theater. Where I see them losing a bit of edge in the coming years is with their creative scare tactics. The obsession with creating a 'scene' rather than a 'scare' may start to bite them in the butt a little, but we shall see. Overall, HHN is pretty locked in with what they can/can't do. I have seen more projection used at HHN, but I don't think it is in any danger of remaining practical...It has to be that way.

Side note: do we think Braillard is the next Aiello?
Oh, I understand exactly what you mean! It was mostly rhetorical. Your points all make sense from a financial and longitudinal perspective. I also have to admit that there isn’t anything I don’t like about the way that Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley are designed (besides those cramped locker rooms and hey has anybody ever said anything about the weird not-marble covering on those columns in Gringotts? Just a personal weird thing). Immersive lands are great.

I guess F&F might have also been seen as their big moneymaker, but I don’t see how it’s justified to take out something as unique as Disaster! to clear up that space. USF was just built around film production, and that was so unique for a theme park (and so intriguing that Disney chose to copy them at the same time). Kong feels less like a big-bucks property, but I feel that, to compensate for that, they did put out some neat practical things, like the giant facade and the final animatronic.

All in all, though, I just want to throw out there that reliability isn’t as much of an issue as it might seem. Personally, I’ve never seen a practical effect fail in Forbidden Journey; in fact, the only things I’ve seen go down were the quidditch game screen and the facial recognition feature for the projection. Has Gringotts ever had a big issue with any of its central components? Again, I don’t want to generalize, so please call me out if this stuff actually isn’t that reliable.

I’m not anti-screen, as I feel FJ and Gringotts (but especially FJ) do a fantastic job of blending real sets and screen components. It’s seamless, whereas Kong is clunky. Fallon and F&F are entirely screen-based attractions. Harry Potter still makes money in the end, and though it may be because the IP is bigger, I’m just saying that FJ doesn’t hold its position as one of the best dark rides for so many years for nothing... Also, Spider-Man has my favorite screen-physical combo effect of all time when Hobgoblin throws the pumpkin bomb through the bridge. Love that.

Yeah, HHN has to be practical, and I’m not saying that they do it better or anything because it is. It’s literally a necessity. I just feel that they’ve given up on employing actors for anything other than meet-and-greets or their Harry Potter shows, and that takes away a little magic. If we’re not even talking about full-blown practical-effect attractions, things like Beetlejuice’s Graveyard Revue are special, doable, and not particularly expensive to run. I dunno. I love Uni, but I can’t deny that I prefer IoA for its number of older/practical attractions.

There’s a balance that we don’t have much of now (and I’m just glad nothing has happened to “update” Mummy in all its animatronic glory).

I always thought Universal had a good balance of street entertainment
I think so too, but people really miss the things they miss. Me, it was kind of good riddance on both of the things the Bee referenced. BJ was a "which songs do we have the rights to" patchwork show of the cheesiest order - although yes, miles ahead of its replacement, and T2 was just embarrassingly long in the tooth. Cant speak for Disaster, as i never did that, but the videos tell me it would have been one and done for me, if that.

Reactions: shiekra38
Noob question...do you typically use a lanyard to carry your express pass around ?
I carry mine in a lanyard. But you can also scan your express whether you have a hard ticket or printed it out into the Universal app on your phone and then just pull up it up when you get in line each time off your phone. A nice alternative.

So I’ve already talked about how weird this year is regarding reserves (way too many cast, not enough holes). Have I got an update for you!!

Previously, the requirement was to attend 20 casting sessions over the event; whether or not they have a spot for you, you get credit just for showing up, and 20 keeps you on as a seasonal team member. An email just went out that the system has completely changed.

There are no physical casting sessions anymore, or, if there are, they are not the recommended way of getting cast. There is now a call system, where they can call your phone anywhere between 5 and 7 if they have a role in your body class. If you accept it, they will account for driving time for you to get there and you can miss basically the first two sets.

Here’s the thing: you don’t even have to accept anything. They hired so many people that they just won’t be able to cast all of them over the whole event, and they know that, so you’re super replaceable just by calling someone else. They know they overstaffed, so you can keep your seasonal TM benefits without working another day of the event. You can turn down every role they give you and come out fine. Of course, that’s money lost, but...

So that’s the state of actors right now; it’s very abnormal to find holes in a house because a reserve is always ready to jump in from the hundreds they have. They took away the days requirement because they severely misjudged how many people they needed to keep on for the event.

So I’ve already talked about how weird this year is regarding reserves (way too many cast, not enough holes). Have I got an update for you!!

Previously, the requirement was to attend 20 casting sessions over the event; whether or not they have a spot for you, you get credit just for showing up, and 20 keeps you on as a seasonal team member. An email just went out that the system has completely changed.

There are no physical casting sessions anymore, or, if there are, they are not the recommended way of getting cast. There is now a call system, where they can call your phone anywhere between 5 and 7 if they have a role in your body class. If you accept it, they will account for driving time for you to get there and you can miss basically the first two sets.

Here’s the thing: you don’t even have to accept anything. They hired so many people that they just won’t be able to cast all of them over the whole event, and they know that, so you’re super replaceable just by calling someone else. They know they overstaffed, so you can keep your seasonal TM benefits without working another day of the event. You can turn down every role they give you and come out fine. Of course, that’s money lost, but...

So that’s the state of actors right now; it’s very abnormal to find holes in a house because a reserve is always ready to jump in from the hundreds they have. They took away the days requirement because they severely misjudged how many people they needed to keep on for the event.

If this means the house and streets are never empty then that sounds amazing. That makes me glad that spots will never be empty

If this means the house and streets are never empty then that sounds amazing. That makes me glad that spots will never be empty
Other than some of the face roles...both Winstons from the original casts of GB have quit now and a reserve that looks like him and is qualified to do it isn’t always there.

Edit: Update! Posting here just so I don’t have to double-post. Even with the call system, my source went the two hours without even getting called. This means either that they found enough people of his height before him, or people just aren’t calling out like they expected. That might explain why there are so many reserves going home; people like their roles and don’t call out? Maybe?

Last edited:
The talk about staffing reminded me to ask you guys somwthing: Would you recommend going to HHN on Monday the 21st (I'd go the sunday before + the monday, frequent fear no express)? I remember last year that some people were saying it was a great experience due to pulsing the lines, but that at the time it felt understaffed. But then again, unless I'm making a mistake I think that random monday was announced last minute last year so maybe that'a why?

I carry mine in a lanyard. But you can also scan your express whether you have a hard ticket or printed it out into the Universal app on your phone and then just pull up it up when you get in line each time off your phone. A nice alternative.
When I bought my tickets, I chose to pick them up at the will call kiosk. Will call kiosk is simple, easy, and gives you tickets in a size format that fits within a lanyard. Tickets in lanyards are easy to scan, fast, simple. I can't elucidate how many times i had to wait for people who had their tickets on their phones and could not quite get the scanning correct. Please just use the lanyards rather than the phones, phones always took at least twice the time that actual tickets did.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
The talk about staffing reminded me to ask you guys somwthing: Would you recommend going to HHN on Monday the 21st (I'd go the sunday before + the monday, frequent fear no express)? I remember last year that some people were saying it was a great experience due to pulsing the lines, but that at the time it felt understaffed. But then again, unless I'm making a mistake I think that random monday was announced last minute last year so maybe that'a why?
this year i attended on sept 19, 20, 21 (thurs, fri, sat). it was quite evident that things ramped up from thursday to saturday. saturday was the best experience by far. more actors in the scare zones, and a general more electric feel to the event. I would recommend getting an express ticket and doing a saturday as my experience was night and day between thursday and saturday.