Halloween Horror Nights 30 (UO): Reviews, Photos, & Videos | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 30 (UO): Reviews, Photos, & Videos

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
After completing each house at least once, my initial rankings:

1. Wicked Growth
2. TCM
3. Icons
4. Puppet
5. Hill House
6. Case Files
7. Beetlejuice
8. SCarey
9. Brides
10. Tooth Fairy

Hill House probably has my favorite scares though.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
Overall, very fun event and worth going, but it’s obvious that the houses are very different due to covid protocols. The vinyl is a huge factor in having less intense scares in the houses. I see a lot of comments about how you can see a lot in the reflection in the vinyl, but it’s also worth noting that it identifies the “boo holes” easier and limits the scareactor from getting close or near you in a jump scare. With that being said, the art and design team gets a 10/10 for designing these masterpiece houses. They are absolutely stunning. All of the houses were good this year, with the exception of Tooth Fairy, which I thought was just not up to par with an HHN level house. Wicked Growth and Case Files were fantastic and standouts from this year. I’m disappointed in the lack of scares this year, but also understanding that there needed to be a certain amount of “safety theatre”. I saw someone else recommend removal of the vinyl in exchange for mandatory masking inside houses and I think that would be a fair exchange. It was still a great night and an incredibly fun event.

I saw someone else recommend removal of the vinyl in exchange for mandatory masking inside houses and I think that would be a fair exchange.

I would hope most of the guests would be willing to wear a mask inside the houses to get a better experience. And based on what I’ve read from experts, this would lead to a safer event for everyone inside too.

I can only hope that once numbers keep coming down in Florida, that something like this can happen for the 2nd half of the event.

I would hope most of the guests would be willing to wear a mask inside the houses to get a better experience. And based on what I’ve read from experts, this would lead to a safer event for everyone inside too.

I can only hope that once numbers keep coming down in Florida, that something like this can happen for the 2nd half of the event.
Agreed! I think it would significantly improve the experience regarding scares.

I did my first HHN on September 10. Being from Maryland, one night of HHN was all I could fit into my schedule so I skipped the shows and focused on the houses. I got all 10 completed by midnight without any use of express pass.

For all the houses other than The Haunting of Hill House, the posted wait times were definitely much higher than what was experienced. I found if the wait time was posted at 45 minutes, it was really 15-20 minutes.

I'm not really a horror fan in general, but with THOHH and my free night from my AP, I really wanted to try HHN. And now I'm already thinking of when to come back for next year.

HHN 30: Pay To Get In

Nine years attending HHN and here I have survived my second big anniversary event. Was it what I had hoped for? Eh, I certainly saw the potential and what the team had planned. But, you know the saying, if you want to make the Pumpkin Lord laugh his guts out, tell him your plans for Halloween.

So let’s get it out of the way: the event this year feels grossly opportunistic. Not just in the sense of hyper capitalism, but also in the sense of fan service/nostalgia. More on the latter later, but regarding the former, I won’t be surprised if HHN and Uni catch some heat for allowing this many people attend with zero COVID protocols being implemented for guests. I just did my best to avoid crowds and wore my mask at all times. I am also currently self isolating before taking a second COVID test in a couple of days (first one was negative btw). I encourage anyone reading this to please test yourself before and after attending this year. You can buy test kits at any local drug store.

Additionally, the biggest failure of the event is the last minute vinyl/plexiglass situation. Anyone saying it does not effect the event or houses is full of sh-t. It hamstrings every scare and I 100% would not have attended knowing what it was going to be like beforehand. Pick a lane Uni - either let it be a free for all or take COVID seriously. The placement of the vinyl/plexiglass is so arbitrary it makes zero sense - some scareactors have three boo holes, two with plexiglass and one without. Other rooms have an actor on the left with it, and an actor on the right without it. WTF?

Given how I despised the operations and poor decision making, was I glad I attended? Well, yes, because…

Wicked Growth: The Realm of the Pumpkin

This one house made all the hassle and bs safety theater worth it. It’s also the house least impacted by the plexivinyl. Easily in my top 3 and the best house since Scarecrow: The Reaping. Loved everything about this house from the scares (the “wood” and “chainlink” fence scares are so damn clever), to the story (which perfectly progresses through each scene) to the amazing design/scenic work - gah, I wish I could redo my first walk through of that facade and that bridge!! Pretty much, this is THE reason to attend HHN this year. And the only way I’m coming back for HHN 31 is if they continue the story. I WANT MORE PUMPKIN LORE!! The Pumpkin Lord has been summoned at 30, don’t be stupid marketing and A&D - it’s a no brainer for him to host 31!! HE GROWS HALLOWEEEEEEN!!

So, really dude, that’s the only reason to go this year? Well that and…

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Wish I could experience this one without the plexivinyl! I can feel how intense it’s supposed to be. My first run had me f- up and I can only imagine how much worse it would have been without HAVING A F-ING DOOR COVERED IN PLEXIGLASS, YOU MORONS. Anyways, this house was filthy and I wanted out at one point, which rarely happens. Also the chainsaws are LOUD and legit feel like they’re nearby because of the rattling of the speakers. And KUDOS to the scareactors NAILING Leatherface’s manic chainsaw dance. The only aspect missing was the smell of gas, which honestly may have been in there but I couldn’t smell it through my mask.

Okay so only two houses were good? Honestly, I thought most had potential! Looking at the boo holes and triggers, I could see what it should have been. Brides, Toothfairy, Puppet Theater, Hill House, and heck, even Beetlejuice should have really been a lot more fun. But with actors being prevented from getting close to guest path, they fell flat for me. Design work? Yeah, all great. Costumes? Totally! Loved the pregnant woman in Hill House! Very cool. But if I don’t get scared in these houses, design and costumes are meaningless. I also saw a handful of scareactors in houses just not trying. And I don’t blame them, especially when they’re behind plexiglass or dealing with the spray of spittle being screamed in their direction by maskless drunks.

Hey, I noticed you haven’t talked about the HHN lore houses - Icons, Scarey, and Legendary Truth? Yeah, so…
I did the Jack’d Up experience first before HHN. Our guide asked the four of us “Who knows Jack the clown?” I was the only person who “Whoooed” and the girl goes “Oh cool, most people don’t know him, so this will be fun for you.” And I think that opened my eyes to all the “old school” HHN lore stuff. Most people don’t know this stuff, and now that I’ve seen Jack back again, it’s lost its appeal. Which brings me too Icons: Captured.

HHN Icons was soooo boring. We’re just moving through the commercials inside Fear’s lantern? That’s it? It was kind of sad to finally get an Icons house and it was just so uninspiring. I felt like I had seen this house without having walked through it, ya know? The biggest surprise was The Storyteller reveal that she’s a…siren? Great, that probably won’t not come back into play for at least another 10 years. I saw Jack win 3x and the Director 1x…but I honestly don’t know how seeing different icons “win” matters when there are zero stakes to anything happening here.

Legendary Truth on the other hand was a very cool house with an overly complex backstory and way too much detail in every scene to pick up on what was happening. Jesus guys. How about a queue video or website or something for this house alone? Add a blurb to the blog to fill us in. Really hope someone can get in there on a UTH tour and take photos of everything so I can get the scoop on the totems and novels and portal to hell and how it all interconnects. I get that Boris is telling us what happened and ends up getting sucked into the portal to hell, but everything between the first and last room is a blur.

However, the worst offender of pointless fan service this year goes to Scarey. Wow talk about disjointed and thrown together. Walking in, I could see backstage! Where the hell are the walls when you enter the tent? Both Blumhouses had better entrances/set designs than this. And everything is just so thrown together. Did I mention that yet? I always wanted to see HR and Meatz but not like this. It felt like “let’s pick several scenes and throw them together with no consideration for transitions or pacing!” It also had the most anticlimactic ending to a house this year. Never would I have imagined I’d prefer Stranger Things 2 over an original anniversary house. Yikes. Are they trying to turn people off to HHN lore?

Hey you’re being pretty negative about the houses. Did you see shows? Uh, ha, well the lagoon’s half empty too…

Marathon of Mayhem: Carnage Factory was fine. Not great. Fine. Why? Because it tried to be too many different things. Whereas the first MoM was a celebration of the IPs that year and had GREAT music - Ghostbusters, KKFoS, and ST c’mon! such great jams - this was…a factory created by Jack to extract our fear? Using IPs from this year? But I thought Jack was in the lantern? Shut up, brain. Oh, and yeah, I got the concept the first time. We don’t need Jack midway into the show saying, “You may be asking yourself, what is this place, Jack?” Nope, I heard it the first time, Jack, it’s a factory to extract fear. The writing for this show was…off. Also, steampunk, metal, and graphic novel artwork aesthetically clashed with Icons, HH, or UCM. The metal and red lights worked GREAT for TCM, though. Idk maybe another situation where I felt it was too thrown together with too much going on and not a clear point of view on its theming.

Then there was Sexy Bedtime Wet Dream Fuel. Or “Nightmare” Fuel. The people in this show are too sexy to be nightmares. But, also the show is just okay. Not great, okay. 2016 AoV still captured what a non- B&T HHN show should be like and there was way too much hyperbole going around saying Nightmare Fuel is “The BEST HHN show ever!” No, it’s fine. It’s fun. But really showed its cards early on and kind of repeated itself too much. And then there was the music…

Let’s talk about music this year. Last year the synth wave atmospheric music was GREAT. Perfectly fun, creepy, and somehow both retro AND modern. And, hey, we had Hellbilly Deluxe too. A great metal album zone where the Gex X’ers could go for a metal fix…But this year’s metal atmosphere music and sh-tty metal covers of great songs was cringe terrible. It’s what your uncle who’s an ex-marine listens to when he does cross fit. Yikes. Give me the Stones and New Order and not some crappy metal band butchering them. Jesus. Only music I found exciting this year was the BJ soundtrack, obviously, and the St Vincent “Sad But True” cover. Those were cool to have at the event. These sh-tty covers of NIN though, get out of here with that and play some actual f-ing NIN.

Coming in hot! But wait, how about the scare zones?

I liked them all! I think they could all improve a bit, but I found each of them to be fun! And I only saw one scareactor in Seek & Destroy breaking character and goofing off. Much better than last year!! And Hackathon is a fun chaotic mess that shows you CAN throw sh-t together and make it scary and fun through a cool concept with a specific point of view. Gorewood’s blood vein trees were also particularly awesome, but I wish the Terra Queen had more to do/there was more of a story. Plus, MoM ruins that zone most of the night, which is a shame because it’s very creepy and atmospheric.

So, hey, I did what Universal wanted me to: I paid to get in!! They got me. Do I recommend attending this year to anyone else? Barely! No, but kind of just for Wicked Growth. And test yourself before and after going. I don’t think the Pumpkin Lord is the only dangerously lethal thing being summoned at this year’s event.

Last edited:
This year's experience was very mixed for me and family. Suppose I'd rank HHN 30 somewhere middle to lower pack vs. past 6 years. For us way below 2018 & 2019.

On plus side -
* the expanded range of food options was great. A few like the sliders and deep fried PB&J really shined and hope they make a return in future years. The expanded range of drink options and numerous places around park to get them made it much easier to access and enjoy.

* the crowds were not nearly as bad as the two stranger things years. On a Saturday night, with express pass and S&S for Hill House, we accomplished all 5 houses without express, then hit the other 5 with pass and repeated the first 5 with pass. So 15 houses worth total. Plus plenty of time to eat around park, hit all the scare zones, and hit both shows, and still leave by 1am.

* the Nightmare Fuel show was very good. We didn't think it was that risky actually. Based on some other comments we were expecting something alot more but for today's standards it was pretty vanilla to us. Suggested to Universal that they add a bit more big magic acts with some tension to raise the story/show drama a bit more though

* the Beetlejuice and Hill Houses very richly decorated and alot of fun. No not scary, but none of the houses were anywhere close to scary for even 1 second the entire night

* the addition of the All Hallow's Eve boutique on IOA side of park was great to see and we liked the decor theme

Neutral -
* Marathon of Mayhem was ok. but nothing special. We liked the 80s take on the show back in 2019 way better.

On the downside -
* the Tribute store theme - or execution of the theme - was pretty lame this year. Rooms were too bright and not as richly decorated as recent years. The big bear statue was a joke. Too bad they just didn't repeat the Beetlejuice decor from 2020. That was a lot slicker!

* the houses generally sucked and that was our exact words in Universal feedback. We love big IP properties, so not so much going on there this year. We also like richly decorated houses and this year's felt like alot more use of hallways vs. rooms so they could get by with less effort. Several of the houses like Scary and Puppet were laughable. The actor masks were sometimes a detraction; depended on scene. But the vinyl was a disaster. Not per see seeing it, but it and everything combined, the actors were just not into it. Saw alot of half hearted lunges and stuff and of course they never got really close to a scare given the barriers. So we mostly just walked thru enjoying the scenery....whenever we broke out of a hallway and actually got to see a room detailed.

* the scare zones generally were pretty lame. In past, we've loved what they did with Central Park area with tons of hung pumpkins, etc. This year Gorewood Forest was so dark and quiet. Not alot going on. It was just so weird.

All in all, glad to have HHN back but hoping they get back into the swing of things in a bigger better way next year!

By the way, our house ranking was:

1. Hill House
2. Beetlejuice
3. Wicked Growth
4. Case Files
5. Brides
6. Icons
7. TCM
8. Tooth Fairy
9. Puppet
10. Scary

For us only the first 3 really held up as memorable.

Last night was pretty rough, lots of missing scare actors and very very weird pacing in the houses. Talked to some random folks and we all agree this year just isn't that scary. I wouldn't say it's due to the vinyl but a whole variety of factors.

This year's experience was very mixed for me and family. Suppose I'd rank HHN 30 somewhere middle to lower pack vs. past 6 years. For us way below 2018 & 2019.

After opening weekend and last night this is where I'd rank it too. I'm hoping this weekend is better.

Last night was pretty rough, lots of missing scare actors and very very weird pacing in the houses. Talked to some random folks and we all agree this year just isn't that scary. I wouldn't say it's due to the vinyl but a whole variety of factors.

After opening weekend and last night this is where I'd rank it too. I'm hoping this weekend is better.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the first year under the new team/design lead or is it still leftovers from the previous? Combine that with *gestures at everything* it was bound to be a weird year regardless.

Hopefully last night was just a one-off though as far as lack of staff.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the first year under the new team/design lead or is it still leftovers from the previous? Combine that with *gestures at everything* it was bound to be a weird year regardless.

Hopefully last night was just a one-off though as far as lack of staff.
That’s a weird question.

Since about 2015, HHN was predominantly developed by Patrick, Charles, and Blake under the direction of Mike Aiello, who was the Creative Director for all of A&D. This year “was the first year after Mike’s promotion,” which had Jason Horn take over as the Creative Co-Director (Lora focuses on logistics) and the with Charles as the “lead” on HHN design team with Blake and Patrick (it was flatter structure, 40/30/30). That was the structure for the design of 30, though they had been working on it a small bit before Mike left).

Then the pandemic happened. Progress on Epic Universe was paused, allowing Mike to (per rumors) provide a touch of advice and support to his old A&D team, and Patrick was laid off (SeaWorld hired him, so there’s no telling if he’ll come back). So, though this year was “the new team’s year,” the “new team” is no longer what it was supposed to be.

I’ve pretty much felt this way since EP. Hoped things would get better, but so far, not much improvement has been made.

I'll have a more full review later but tonight was generally great given the low crowds probably due to rain.

I will say I found express to be not worth it after all. I got through every house twice which was great but when you have a plan for stay and scream and are staying the whole night it becomes kind of a chore to walk that much to get the express value in. I barely utilized the full express by the end of the night. I personally like getting some rides at night and would rather do that during peak house wait time. It's also kind of hard to even get drinks when you get to the house entrances so fast.

If I went with friends I would absolutely pay for the early option and do some rides or take a city walk break in the middle of the event.

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
So I'm five nights into HHN with two left to go. I don't have too many large-scale thoughts like before but here are some bullet points as I drink a Jai Alai in my Aventura room listening to MONTERO.
  • The food and drinks are the unquestionable winner of this event and has been stellar. Bravo to the food team at UOR.
  • Scare zones are rarely scary for anyone who's been in the event for more than a few hours their whole lives and this year's zones are fine. They are usually the best when the zone is a PARTY which is why I think 30 and Eddie are the 'best' this year. The drumbeat of "the scare zones are terrible this year" happens all the time to the point where I doubt they have ever been amazing since like the early 2010s.
  • Houses this year feel like they had a good concept that got up-ended at least half a dozen times due to COVID, staffing, and other changes due to *waves arms*. We're paying good money to go to this event so and Comcast is a huge company that makes billions a year, I don't need to excuse or defend them which is why I think the housing lineup this year is the lower middle of the events I've been to. I don't think it's the fault of anyone but the world we have to deal with until we hit the endemic state of COVID-19.
  • Shows this year are good, Marathon of Mayhem never stood a chance against 29's version simply because of the amount of iconic music and visuals plus a killer concept for the show. Nightmare Fuel is a worthy successor to B&T and does what AoV never could do: add more acts than just group dancing to a show. I think the show is creative and really combines several wild concepts into a whole that works very well, easily one of the best things offered this year. Plus bonus points for hiring locally.
  • Crowds have been unpredictable this year due to a locals focus, odd TM blackouts, comp ticket dates, and more. Weirdly enough the crowds seem to be OPPOSITE of what normally happens: if the only want to get into HHN is to buy a single-day admission the event is WAY less crowded.
  • I think tweaks are still happening in all the houses for nearly every aspect of the experience, this event was not the one i attended two weeks ago and will not be the same event two weeks from now. While that's always true in a way it's even more so this year.
  • Merch has taken a step back into the realm of black tshirt designs. Please for the love of god open up to some more new concepts next year. Bonus points for some fun other items like coffee, candles, and drink coasters for us millennials.
  • Bring back Original Sin Black Widow cider and High Noons, you cowards
  1. 28
  2. 25
  3. 29
  4. 27
  5. 30
  6. 26
  7. 24

1. 28
  2. 25
  3. 29
  4. 27
  5. 30
  6. 26
  7. 24

Yikes! 24 is really that low for you? Halloween and Dollhouse of the damned were masterpieces from that year! Not to mention one of the best scarezones, Bayou of Blood (when they had the sacrifice show).

Reactions: Gregz
So I'm five nights into HHN with two left to go. I don't have too many large-scale thoughts like before but here are some bullet points as I drink a Jai Alai in my Aventura room listening to MONTERO.
  • The food and drinks are the unquestionable winner of this event and has been stellar. Bravo to the food team at UOR.
  • Scare zones are rarely scary for anyone who's been in the event for more than a few hours their whole lives and this year's zones are fine. They are usually the best when the zone is a PARTY which is why I think 30 and Eddie are the 'best' this year. The drumbeat of "the scare zones are terrible this year" happens all the time to the point where I doubt they have ever been amazing since like the early 2010s.
  • Houses this year feel like they had a good concept that got up-ended at least half a dozen times due to COVID, staffing, and other changes due to *waves arms*. We're paying good money to go to this event so and Comcast is a huge company that makes billions a year, I don't need to excuse or defend them which is why I think the housing lineup this year is the lower middle of the events I've been to. I don't think it's the fault of anyone but the world we have to deal with until we hit the endemic state of COVID-19.
  • Shows this year are good, Marathon of Mayhem never stood a chance against 29's version simply because of the amount of iconic music and visuals plus a killer concept for the show. Nightmare Fuel is a worthy successor to B&T and does what AoV never could do: add more acts than just group dancing to a show. I think the show is creative and really combines several wild concepts into a whole that works very well, easily one of the best things offered this year. Plus bonus points for hiring locally.
  • Crowds have been unpredictable this year due to a locals focus, odd TM blackouts, comp ticket dates, and more. Weirdly enough the crowds seem to be OPPOSITE of what normally happens: if the only want to get into HHN is to buy a single-day admission the event is WAY less crowded.
  • I think tweaks are still happening in all the houses for nearly every aspect of the experience, this event was not the one i attended two weeks ago and will not be the same event two weeks from now. While that's always true in a way it's even more so this year.
  • Merch has taken a step back into the realm of black tshirt designs. Please for the love of god open up to some more new concepts next year. Bonus points for some fun other items like coffee, candles, and drink coasters for us millennials.
  • Bring back Original Sin Black Widow cider and High Noons, you cowards

1. 28
  2. 25
  3. 29
  4. 27
  5. 30
  6. 26
  7. 24

I'm shocked 28 is your #1. Your review of it was by no means bad but I don't think it was necessarily glowing either.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Lucky Planet
  • Scare zones are rarely scary for anyone who's been in the event for more than a few hours their whole lives and this year's zones are fine. They are usually the best when the zone is a PARTY...
I disagree pretty heavily with this take. The zones this year are bad and having been to Howl O Scream a few times at SeaWorld and this being their first event, EVERY zone is better there and i've gotten actual scares consistently. At HHN, you're right, the zones are really best if they're more of a party, but it doesn't need to and shouldn't be that way (and hasn't always been that way). Their zone design is just really bad (I believe them to all be overproduced and probably wayyy too much money spent to make them look cool) and a big part of it is the scareactors aren't really allowed to do their job correctly. As the years have gone on, there's more and more rules that they have to follow (especially if the zone is an IP) that they become robotic or you see scareactors talking to each other in the street.

I hate to make this a comparison with HHN and HOS, but again, the actors at HOS were super into their roles all night, we interacted with many who we began to recognize as the night went on and there a ton of great improv from them that we haven't seen allowed at HHN since Pre-TWD. SeaWorld's scareactors were all on the ground as normal, so the comparison isn't direct, but I also didn't hear anyone at the event all night (I was there from open to close) say to a scareactor "you're not scary" or something of that variety, because they aren't doing "WTF are they doing" type of stupid things that just aren't scary. Even if there wasn't a scare, the constant interaction you have with them has guests playing along and responding in a positive manner whereas when a scareactor from Seek & Destroy walks up to a guest and points a flashlight or whatever in their face, your instinct is to laugh because it's so hilariously NOT scary.

Counterpoint: Dracula Untold, From Dusk till Dawn, Roanoke. Plus only four scare zones total.

I guess I came to 24 from the POV of 22 and 23 and finally getting a real HHN. IMO the highs of 24 vastly outweighed those 3 houses and even Giggles and Gore and AvP were a lot of fun.