Halloween Horror Nights 30 (UOR) - News & Info (2021) | Page 37 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 30 (UOR) - News & Info (2021)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
But people are still showing up and packing the houses.
I keep showing up because I bought my pass and have to get value from what I spent. If I got to make one lap through the houses before having to commit to the pass, I probably would have been good and skipped it. Not a criticism of the houses - they’re all really good (pending what you think of Beetlejuice-style fun houses), but held back from their potential by the vinyl everywhere.

In 2019 I spent over $350 on alcohol over the course of the event. This year I’ve purchased two drinks - both Dufftober and only because it’s a limited time - and doubt I’ll buy a third because these houses aren’t scary enough to warrant wanting to get a buzz going to go through. You can be darn certain I’ve pointed that out in the surveys I’ve received.

I keep showing up because I bought my pass and have to get value from what I spent. If I got to make one lap through the houses before having to commit to the pass, I probably would have been good and skipped it. Not a criticism of the houses - they’re all really good (pending what you think of Beetlejuice-style fun houses), but held back from their potential by the vinyl everywhere.

In 2019 I spent over $350 on alcohol over the course of the event. This year I’ve purchased two drinks - both Dufftober and only because it’s a limited time - and doubt I’ll buy a third because these houses aren’t scary enough to warrant wanting to get a buzz going to go through. You can be darn certain I’ve pointed that out in the surveys I’ve received.

I too don't buy the "people are still coming" line of thought because people are going due to past experiences with the event. If they have one or two off or bad years then they'll stop coming. It's a delayed effect.

Is it a universal experience here of not finding the houses that scary this year? I figured it might've just been me getting overly used to the HHN experience, but they really do feel kinda lackluster in that department. Pumpkin and Puppet are the only ones that have consistently gotten me, and it's all been diminishing returns from TM previews there too.

Is it a universal experience here of not finding the houses that scary this year? I figured it might've just been me getting overly used to the HHN experience, but they really do feel kinda lackluster in that department. Pumpkin and Puppet are the only ones that have consistently gotten me, and it's all been diminishing returns from TM previews there too.
You’re not alone. I’m also concerned that I haven’t connected with Graveyard Games and Wicked Growth like most have.

Anyone got any idea as to how many FFs are sold compared to FF+ or UFF? Every Wednesday i’ve been to has been more crowded than each Fri and Sat. I even got 30 house runs last night it was so empty

I've been saying for a number of years now Fridays are not especially bad, particularly the first couple hours. I think the difference between FF and FF+/UFF has to be a big contributor to that.

You’re not alone. I’m also concerned that I haven’t connected with Graveyard Games and Wicked Growth like most have.

It's just very hard for them to be scary anymore. Their best strategy is to rely on atmosphere (I'm one of the few who found Depths scary for that reason) but even then, with so many topics becoming taboo, they're cornered.

For me it’s the fact that the scareactors in most of the boo holes can’t break the plane of the wall. I’m a firm believer that the designers do a very good job of designing scares around the realities of the event (huge crowds and conga line houses), but when you practically eliminate the element of things coming at you it drastically impacts the quality of the scares as they were designed.

In a normal year, I’ve found that the houses generally get slightly scarier as the event progresses because the scareactors have had the reps to get their timing and angles better and better.

Anyone got any idea as to how many FFs are sold compared to FF+ or UFF? Every Wednesday i’ve been to has been more crowded than each Fri and Sat. I even got 30 house runs last night it was so empty
Wednesdays (9/15, 9/22 and 9/29) were both accessible for Universal employees AND comp pass eligible, so that's probably why there's been such an influx of crowds. I'd venture to say FF+ is the most common of the 3 Frequent Fears (not counting RoF), as your paying $30 more to go from FF to FF+, and you get 11 additional nights.

Reactions: DannyPowers
For me it’s the fact that the scareactors in most of the boo holes can’t break the plane of the wall. I’m a firm believer that the designers do a very good job of designing scares around the realities of the event (huge crowds and conga line houses), but when you practically eliminate the element of things coming at you it drastically impacts the quality of the scares as they were designed.

In a normal year, I’ve found that the houses generally get slightly scarier as the event progresses because the scareactors have had the reps to get their timing and angles better and better.
It’s a shame too because it’s not just the scares. It’s affecting overall immersion and certain show elements. If Universal needed the Plexi temporarily to keep the event running (which I don’t entirely believe), then so be it but everyone knows it’s essentially pointless at this point.

Interesting point. In its current form, Icons’ design is incomprehensible to me. You literally have to turn around to see Chance 1

I (politely, but firmly) complained in each survey I was emailed. I’m sure plenty of others did as well.
But people are still showing up and packing the houses.

i have monitored for any vinyl comments all over social media (just checking in general all around) and people might comment on the vinyl... but not very negatively.
on facebook some people bring it up, but i never see any angry posts about it. while it is a nuisance and it lessens the scares, most people seem okay with it.
even around the park itself i never hear any complaints while waiting in line. most people seem to ignore it

i honestly expected more angry tweets or more arguments but it seems like people are kind of okay with it,
and even if some people hate it, no one is being very vocal about it

I didn't mind the plexi at all really. 99% of the time it didn't matter that much. My complaint was about lack of a mask mandate indoors. My partner and I wore our masks in the houses and mostly outside at night and we made it out uninfected.

it is kind of a mess, around 95% of the crowds are unmasked every time i go, but i dont think everyone is vaccinated, i think people just dont care,
even if uni wanted a mask mandate indoors, most people dont even havemasks with them,
but i have also monitored to see if anyone got sick after going to hhn, and havent seen much. i wonder if the heat and humidity is keeping covid down. or if having the queues outdoors is helping somehow. before hhn started i was worried about a super spreader situation, but i havent seen anything like that yet.

Not sure if it has been mentioned prior, but as of now, Thursday is the final day TMs have access to the event this year. Curious to see how the crowd patterns shift for the rest of the season, especially with "Hell Week" being so disjointed this year as well.

When is “ Hell week”? Flights are so cheap from the Northeast I am thinking about going back. I have some off days October 21~25

When is “ Hell week”? Flights are so cheap from the Northeast I am thinking about going back. I have some off days October 21~25
Usually, it's Columbus Day weekend, but COVID really messed with school schedules this year. This is what I put together in the speculation thread earlier this year:

For reference, Colombus Day is 10/11 this year.

Orange, Seminole, Pinellas - 10/8
Brevard - 10/11
Osceola - 10/15
Polk, Volusia, Pasco - 10/18
Hillsborough - N/A(?)

So, we're looking at two hell weeks in a row this year (10/8-10/11 and 10/15-10/18)

Question for the people who have been to the event. I am going down to universal today! Is the vinyl that bad? Is it noticeable to the point where you can see the scares coming? And are the scares at least different from one another or is it just scare actors just banging on the vinyl? Your input would be great as I am very nervous that the houses aren't good.

Question for the people who have been to the event. I am going down to universal today! Is the vinyl that bad? Is it noticeable to the point where you can see the scares coming? And are the scares at least different from one another or is it just scare actors just banging on the vinyl? Your input would be great as I am very nervous that the houses aren't good.

The vinyl is a non-factor.

If you've gone to HHN multiple times over the years you get to know most of the tricks that the designers use. One of these is the one-scareactor-per-multiple-boo-hole trick, and once you have gone through a house once you start to see where to expect a scareactor to pop out from. It won't always happen the way you expect (timing night be off, SA might be already in another hole, middle of cast change, no SA is even in that area, etc.)

Even in a perfect world with no Covid protections needed, you will still know over the course of the event "one of those 3 booholes in this room will be where the alien werewolf slime witch is going to pop out". Knowing where the booholes are doesn't IMO take away from the scare.

What does this have to do with vinyl? Same concept. Maybe when you enter a room, you see that the light reflects off one of the vinyl-protected booholes but you won't necessarily see all of the booholes if the light isn't reflecting a certain way. But knowing where the booholes are won't matter if the scare comes out from somewhere you aren't expecting.