Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - Employee Preview | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - Employee Preview

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Last year, during team members preview
The overwhelming sentiment was there were no bad houses. I agreed, I didn’t think there were any bad houses last year. Last night people seem to have issues with different things. Maybe the post covid honeymoon is over?!?

Reactions: Darko
The overwhelming sentiment was there were no bad houses. I agreed, I didn’t think there were any bad houses last year. Last night people seem to have issues with different things. Maybe the post covid honeymoon is over?!?
I feel that sometimes it takes some time to warm up to some houses. Especially when some aspects might not be working well. To me, houses always feel too short the first time I go through them - but once I know what I'm in for I always end up finding more to like and picking up on new things. I think this year (like any year) has so much hype around it that it's literally impossible for every house to meet the massive expectations set for them. Everyone has different tastes and something that works for one person might not work for the next. Something I think they did VERY well this year is variety among houses. Each house this year really felt like a unique experience that contrasted well with the other houses while still working within the " classic Halloween" theme of the event.

Love to wake up and see some varied house rankings. It's also a great reminder that TM Preview is essentially a test run and a lot of little things can dramatically shape people's opinions to the point where these lists are all over the place.

No clear frontrunner is always a good sign. Seems like quality across the board!

Everyone has different tastes and something that works for one person might not work for the next. Something I think they did VERY well this year is variety among houses. Each house this year really felt like a unique experience that contrasted well with the other houses while still working within the " classic Halloween" theme of the event.

Fully agreed across the board, I'm very happy to see the rankings all over the place. From the lil bits of info given, it really sounds like we've got a diverse bunch of houses. This is always something I love to hear, since for an event with ten houses, you don't want things coming off as same-same. There's also that saying, "If you try pleasing everyone, you end up pleasing no one." When you have a diverse lineup of houses, there's gonna' be houses that folks will gel with more than others, and that's perfectly fine! I'd rather have that over a clear frontrunner, since that can be a sign that they did one house really well, but not so much for the rest. Funny how that works.

I wouldn't say so, in retrospect 30 had a tinge of rose-colored glasses in the form of we were just happy to have the event back. But looking back on it and comparing it to previous years, 30's house lineup is a tad weaker compared to previous years. I can firmly say Beetlejuice and Icons have NOT held up well. They've done better "Fun" houses with ones like Killer Klowns from Outer Space, and besides the throne gimmick and Storytellers glow-up, Icons suffered everywhere else. Revenge of the Tooth Fairy lacked the creepy punch it had in 2020, S(C)arey was just kinda' there...the list goes on.

When you have a truly diverse lineup of houses, you're not gonna' find everyone agreeing on the same things. I saw some folks didn't think much about Hellblock, but at the same time I see it was #1 for someone else. I also see certain houses in the top for others, but then mid or lower for someone else and vis versa. This is a much better sign than if everyone had the exact same houses up top.

Last edited:
Fully agreed across the board, I'm very happy to see the rankings all over the place. From the lil bits of info given, it really sounds like we've got a diverse bunch of houses. This is always something I love to hear, since for an event with ten houses, you don't want things coming off as same-same. There's also that saying, "If you try pleasing everyone, you end up pleasing no one." When you have a diverse lineup of houses, there's gonna' be houses that folks will gel with more than others, and that's perfectly fine! I'd rather have that over a clear frontrunner, since that can be a sign that they did one house really well, but not so much for the rest. Funny how that works.

I wouldn't say so, in retrospect 30 had a tinge of rose-colored glasses in the form of we were just happy to have the event back. But looking back on it and comparing it to previous years, 30's house lineup is a tad weaker compared to previous years. I can firmly say Beetlejuice and Icons have NOT held up well. They've done better "Fun" houses with ones like Killer Klowns from Outer Space, and besides the throne gimmick and Storytellers glow-up, Icons suffered everywhere else. Revenge of the Tooth Fairy lacked the creepy punch it had in 2020, S(C)arey was just kinda' there...the list goes on.

When you have a truly diverse lineup of houses, you're not gonna' find everyone agreeing on the same things. I saw some folks didn't think much about Hellblock, but at the same time I see it was #1 for someone else. I also see certain houses in the top for others, but then mid or lower for someone else and vis versa. This is a much better sign than if everyone had the exact same houses up top.

There was also the fact that all the houses and zones were neutered with COVID measures. Really wish we could have seen some of those houses reach their full potential without those limitations.

30 was still worth it for Cases, Wicked Growth, and Puppet, in my book.

Very thrilled zones and houses have returned to normal this year, despite some baffling whining on Twitter.

There was also the fact that all the houses and zones were neutered with COVID measures. Really wish we could have seen some of those houses reach their full potential without those limitations.

Very thrilled zones and houses have returned to normal this year, despite some baffling whining on Twitter.

That too, there were definitely scares/effects which just couldn't work due to the restrictions. And yeah, WG, Case Files and Puppet were my top ones as well.

And same, there's certain info coming from the houses which I was very happy to hear. And once again the zones just look really good this year.

Reactions: Darko

Twitter is full of whinners for just about everything. It attracts them like a magnet. . I pay no attention to the sick man of social media. :grin:

I feel that sometimes it takes some time to warm up to some houses. Especially when some aspects might not be working well. To me, houses always feel too short the first time I go through them - but once I know what I'm in for I always end up finding more to like and picking up on new things. I think this year (like any year) has so much hype around it that it's literally impossible for every house to meet the massive expectations set for them. Everyone has different tastes and something that works for one person might not work for the next. Something I think they did VERY well this year is variety among houses. Each house this year really felt like a unique experience that contrasted well with the other houses while still working within the " classic Halloween" theme of the event.

This post makes me feel better and I agree. It takes a few walk throughs to really catch the story and appreciate what they are trying to do.

Any reports of Body Collectors (Gentlemen) in the prison house? I haven’t seen any but I’m not on all the HHN sites.
Gonna add to this with a secondary question, what's the ratio of reused monsters to new ones?
Early reviews made it sound like it was mostly reused looks, but there hasnt been enough info to know.

It was a lot of white colored masks but they looked mostly alien like. We didn’t really have people in front of us so our run was quick.

Interesting- sounds like very few to no reused monsters. Counter to earlier expectations. Still looking forward to the house but was hoping for an odd Hall of Fame flavor to the inmates.

Interesting- sounds like very few to no reused monsters. Counter to earlier expectations. Still looking forward to the house but was hoping for an odd Hall of Fame flavor to the inmates.

I wouldn’t assume that. Someone else mentioned appearances from at least two monsters seen in the past few years.

Reactions: IHateJumpScares