Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - News & Info | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - News & Info

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think it's stopping kids who just want to hang out-- they might not even leave the parking garage, just sit there and play music (loudly) and see their friends/classmates/whatever. Maybe sell things (drugs, alcohol), and the next thing you know there's a police event. There have been too many random shootings Downtown, Florida Mall, Mall at Millenia, etc., and it's only a matter of time before it happens at the parks. No one needs that. If charging a fee keeps just some of that at bay, it's worth it.

I think it's stopping kids who just want to hang out-- they might not even leave the parking garage, just sit there and play music (loudly) and see their friends/classmates/whatever. Maybe sell things (drugs, alcohol), and the next thing you know there's a police event. There have been too many random shootings Downtown, Florida Mall, Mall at Millenia, etc., and it's only a matter of time before it happens at the parks. No one needs that. If charging a fee keeps just some of that at bay, it's worth it.

Directly from their website:

On non-Halloween Horror Nights event nights, free self-parking is available after 6pm.

I appreciate your guys’s commitment to the bit, but come on. Drug deals and shootings only happen on HHN nights?

Reactions: Jakemeister
Directly from their website:

On non-Halloween Horror Nights event nights, free self-parking is available after 6pm.

I appreciate your guys’s commitment to the bit, but come on. Drug deals and shootings only happen on HHN nights?

You don't have to like the parking change but can we not with the bad faith takes?

You don't have to like the parking change but can we not with the bad faith takes?
It would be easier to let go if there wasn’t such a desperate attempt to make that completely justifiable opinion seem stupid.

I’m fine to agree to disagree—you’re cool with it and I think it undermines a lot of goodwill Universal has built with fans and locals over the past few years. It’s not going to stop me from going or taint my perception of the event. It is what it is.

But I’m not gonna pretend like “oh they’re worried about safety and security, it just happens to only coincide with nights that they have a lot of paying customers coming to visit the parks” is a legitimate counter argument.

Look, I get it—it’s football season and I’m the biggest homer there is…I get wanting to defend your team. But you can do that without trying to make the guys saying you need a change to the team or scheme look dumb by presenting complete conjecture as a shut-down to the conversation.

It would be easier to let go if there wasn’t such a desperate attempt to make that completely justifiable opinion seem stupid.

I’m fine to agree to disagree—you’re cool with it and I think it undermines a lot of goodwill Universal has built with fans and locals over the past few years. It’s not going to stop me from going or taint my perception of the event. It is what it is.

But I’m not gonna pretend like “oh they’re worried about safety and security, it just happens to only coincide with nights that they have a lot of paying customers coming to visit the parks” is a legitimate counter argument.

Look, I get it—it’s football season and I’m the biggest homer there is…I get wanting to defend your team. But you can do that without trying to make the guys saying you need a change to the team or scheme look stupid.

It has nothing to do with homerism at all, and to go that argument as a counter is ridiculous (and boring). When something is worth criticizing, I think I have a fairly good track record of being fair.

It's been pointed out by several people besides myself with perfectly good examples and counterpoints, to which you've ignored and keep countering with strawman arguments.

C'mon now. You know the HHN crowd is different than the daytime crowd. It brings in a more rowdy bunch due to the party atmosphere. When they had problems with drunks, they minimized the number of full liquor bar options to 2 and stopped pushing shot girls throughout the park, and try to encourage guests to drink the watered-down, ultra sweet juice pre-mix "signature" drink. It didn't get rid of it, but it's definitely helped that issue. As troublemaking kids seem to be the focus now (and not just here, but in other theme parks around the country), they took steps to deter them now....Curfew, parking fee, must-have event ticket, and finally installing cameras. There's also the aspect of avoiding a "Free Parking" rush, which would overwhelm the booth and ops. When they cancel the "Free Parking after 6" rule, then we can talk about nickel and diming.

No one is saying it's a solution - and as I've stated before, of course, there is a benefit to Universal. The parks are more crowded during the evening on HHN nights than during the day.

The whole charging for parking is really just to be a deterrent to "bad elements" just showing up on CityWalk. If they have to spend money to do it, they probably won't and they'll go somewhere else that isn't Universal.

I remember when I was 21 and worked in a nightclub and the manager explained that the clientele you get when it's free admission is not the clientele you want. The nights where there was no cover brought out the dregs. The nights with a cover brought the better crowds (who spent more money and tipped better).

If you REALLY want to go to Universal for HHN that badly between the hours of 10-12 and the parking fee is stopping you, I have questions. If you're that big a fan I assume you have multi-night passes or you're spending a lot of money for just a couple of hours. And if you have a mutli-night ticket I'd guess you have an annual pass that gets you complimentary parking anyway, The few people who this will effect are people they don't want or need. They're the people that are causing issues in the parking garages.
You’re talking to a group of people that went nuts over a $15 Lightning Lane (an optional add-on). The problem is the parking fee isn’t stopping anybody—I’m gonna pay the $27 a pop because at the end of the day I’ll probably only go three or four times and it’s not that much money over the course of two months. But on the other side of the spectrum you have people that probably won’t know any better…they’ll pay too because they’ll already be at the front of the car line with their tickets and aren’t going to turn around.

So who exactly have you stopped from coming? Teens that want to just go to Citywalk to cause trouble? Okay fine, but why wasn’t this enforced before HHN? Is it being enforced non-HHN nights? Will it be enforced after HHN?

Again, at the end of the day it’s <$30 a night and the passes (and arguably one-night tickets) are still a relative steal. But it sets a bad principle after UO went through a sort of…renaissance? (for lack of a better word) in making transparent adjustments to improve the guest experience, especially for locals. It’s a bad step IMO.
It has nothing to do with homerism at all, and to go that argument as a counter is ridiculous (and boring). When something is worth criticizing, I think I have a fairly good track record of being fair.

It's been pointed out by several people besides myself with perfectly good examples and counterpoints, to which you've ignored and keep countering with strawman arguments.

C'mon now. You know the HHN crowd is different than the daytime crowd. It brings in a more rowdy bunch due to the party atmosphere. When they had problems with drunks, they minimized the number of full liquor bar options to 2 and stopped pushing shot girls throughout the park, and try to encourage guests to drink the watered-down, ultra sweet juice pre-mix "signature" drink. It didn't get rid of it, but it's definitely helped that issue. As troublemaking kids seem to be the focus now (and not just here, but in other theme parks around the country), they took steps to deter them now....Curfew, parking fee, must-have event ticket, and finally installing cameras. There's also the aspect of avoiding a "Free Parking" rush, which would overwhelm the booth and ops. When they cancel the "Free Parking after 6" rule, then we can talk about nickel and diming.

No one is saying it's a solution - and as I've stated before, of course, there is a benefit to Universal. The parks are more crowded during the evening on HHN nights than during the day.

I was trying to analyze this yesterday
See if the change did anything.
From what I could tell, personally, just from what I saw,
The park had just as many teens as always, city walk was pretty full. The lines were pretty long.
My point is, I fully expected hhn to feel different with the parking change, but, the park was full of teens regardless. The lines were just as long as always,

I guess the real change is just for city walk, but then is pretty weird to have free parking at 6 pm on non hhn nights. Doesn't make sense.
If there are gonna be drug deals or bad elements in the parking area, why won't those people just do those things on Non hhn nights? Wouldn't those teens playing the loud music and doing bad things just visit Mondays and Tuesdays? ( The point being, during October there should not be any 6 pm free parking at all on any day)

But yesterday I realized that hhn didn't feel any different crowds wise. I think everyone just paid the 27 dollars or carpool. The Uber area was really crowded at midnight. It didn't feel like the parking change stopped anyone ( even me, myself just got a ride from my sister to the event)

I fully understand if this a profit change, because uni will make a lot more money, ( and for example Howl o Scream has no free parking at all)

Reactions: OrlandoGuy
C'mon now. You know the HHN crowd is different than the daytime crowd. It brings in a more rowdy bunch due to the party atmosphere.

Right, but there are several accounts of rowdy behavior happening over the weekend—I don’t see how implementing parking charges through 12am is helping with this. I guess there could be a REALLY small contingent of people that won’t even purchase a ticket because of it…but if someone looking to cause trouble already has their ticket, the $27 isn’t gonna stop them from coming, it’s just a hidden fee they have to pay before they go on with whatever trouble they were trying to get in.

When they had problems with drunks, they minimized the number of full liquor bar options to 2 and stopped pushing shot girls throughout the park, and try to encourage guests to drink the watered-down, ultra sweet juice pre-mix "signature" drink. It didn't get rid of it, but it's definitely helped that issue.

Perfect example of what I mean by the goodwill they’re kind of at odds with all of a sudden—the liquor change was a revenue-killing move that improved the guest experience. Saying “hey, surprise Frequent Fear Passes, you have to pay for parking now” doesn’t.

There's also the aspect of avoiding a "Free Parking" rush, which would overwhelm the booth and ops. When they cancel the "Free Parking after 6" rule, then we can talk about nickel and diming.

See, this is a legitimate argument.

The homer comment wasn’t really meant to discredit you, I was honestly just trying to level. I dont know, maybe I’m cranky because I’m hungover but the intent wasn’t to create any straw men or offend you personally because I disagree with a decision Universal made. I just don’t think it’s fair for you to roll your eyes and say I’m making bad faith takes when the logic behind your defense of the decision makes no sense.

Anyway, I’ve made my peace with it. If you want to keep telling me why I’m wrong feel free to DM. I apologize if presenting my perspective on the situation as someone who doesn’t go every week/liked the impromptu free after-10pm visits with a couple friends was overstepping in any way.

Right, but there are several accounts of rowdy behavior happening over the weekend—I don’t see how implementing parking charges through 12am is helping with this. I guess there could be a REALLY small contingent of people that won’t even purchase a ticket because of it…but if someone looking to cause trouble already has their ticket, the $27 isn’t gonna stop them from coming, it’s just a hidden fee they have to pay before they go on with whatever trouble they were trying to get in.

Perfect example of what I mean by the goodwill they’re kind of at odds with all of a sudden—the liquor change was a revenue-killing move that improved the guest experience. Saying “hey, surprise Frequent Fear Passes, you have to pay for parking now” doesn’t.

See, this is a legitimate argument.

The homer comment wasn’t really meant to discredit you, I was honestly just trying to level. I dont know, maybe I’m cranky because I’m hungover but the intent wasn’t to create any straw men or offend you personally because I disagree with a decision Universal made. I just don’t think it’s fair for you to roll your eyes and say I’m making bad faith takes when the logic behind your defense of the decision makes no sense.

Anyway, I’ve made my peace with it. If you want to keep telling me why I’m wrong feel free to DM. I apologize if presenting my perspective on the situation as someone who doesn’t go every week/liked the impromptu free after-10pm visits with a couple friends was overstepping in any way.

Yes. It felt like everyone that wanted to be was there anyways. (Good and bad) That's what I meant. I paid close attention around the park, the crowd felt the same as always. Leaving City Walk felt as crowded as always. ( Super super crowded) I felt zero change.
Big crowd on both hhn and city walk.

I expected smaller lines or easier crowds in scarezones but everything was just as crowded.
(Everyone used Uber)

HHN has always been a different crowd that required different security measures. Before the metal detectors went into place for everyone entering the parks they were implemented for HHN because of issues with the crowd that shows up. This is a fact of life for all Halloween events that they can draw "bad" crowds.

I have worked and been associated with theme parks and Halloween events in theme parks for 30+ years now and seen them grow and the issues that come with them as well. It's unfortunate but true.

HHN has always been a different crowd that required different security measures. Before the metal detectors went into place for everyone entering the parks they were implemented for HHN because of issues with the crowd that shows up. This is a fact of life for all Halloween events that they can draw "bad" crowds.

I have worked and been associated with theme parks and Halloween events in theme parks for 30+ years now and seen them grow and the issues that come with them as well. It's unfortunate but true.
Nobody is saying otherwise nor have I gotten the sense anyone is trying to discredit your experience in the industry. The question isn’t whether bad stuff happens at HHN, the question is is charging people to park REALLY combatting those problems, or is it just pissing off the local visitors with plans to visit just a handful of nights?

Nobody is saying otherwise nor have I gotten the sense anyone is trying to discredit your experience in the industry. The question isn’t whether bad stuff happens at HHN, the question is is charging people to park REALLY combatting those problems, or is it just pissing off the local visitors with plans to visit just a handful of nights?

If you're a local, there's a chance you have an AP. If not, that probably means you aren't an exact die-hard, which means you're going to try to maximize your HHN experience instead of a casual attendance. I get why you don't like it as you're one of the few who fall into a different, small niche - but I remember being 16 and looking for free crap to do. Now these younger kids will have a harder time getting into CityWalk, and if they're there to enjoy HHN - they'll probably be more selective of their attendance since I'm sure the parents will not wanna pay for parking all the time. Basically, the kids just looking for something do "cuz free" will now look elsewhere. Definitely not a solution, but a huge detterent.

And for the troublemaking kids who still manage their way in, well, now there is more cameras and eyes.

If you're a local, there's a chance you have an AP. If not, that probably means you aren't an exact die-hard, which means you're going to try to maximize your HHN experience instead of a casual attendance. I get why you don't like it as you're one of the few who fall into a different, small niche - but I remember being 16 and looking for free crap to do. Now these younger kids will have a harder time getting into CityWalk, and if they're there to enjoy HHN - they'll probably be more selective of their attendance since I'm sure the parents will not wanna pay for parking all the time. Basically, the kids just looking for something do "cuz free" will now look elsewhere. Definitely not a solution, but a huge detterent.

And for the troublemaking kids who still manage their way in, well, now theirs more cameras and eyes.

And you know, that’s totally fair. I dont know if we can know for sure the size of non-AP Fear Pass holders but at least that conceptually makes sense.

And for the troublemaking kids who still manage their way in, well, now theirs more cameras and eyes.
the ultimate frequent fear pass should not have free parking at 6 pm, a lot of parents could just buy ultimate for the kids to leave the house. ultimate hhn doesnt seem that expensive if their kids are gonna exercise 5 hours per hhn visit or so lol.

you dont need annual pass with ultimate, so giving free parking to ultimate hhn tickets feels like it defeats their own purpose. regardless of the problems caused by 10 pm free parking, the Ultimate hhn ticket allows kids access to city walk as well, so they can cause trouble in both hhn and city walk as early as 6 pm.

its just baffling that the ultimate hhn ticket allows anyone to access citywalk for free. you could say that ultimate is too expensive. but you get so much out of it
a teen could attend every single hhn at 6 pm, that sounds way worse than free parking at 10 pm

and either way, i saw people online talking about all the different ways to park outside of uni. apparently theres a 3 dollar parking nearby or something. i dont know, something like that.

Reactions: JS610
the ultimate frequent fear pass should not have free parking at 6 pm, a lot of parents could just buy ultimate for the kids to leave the house. ultimate hhn doesnt seem that expensive if their kids are gonna exercise 5 hours per hhn visit or so lol.
I think we are overestimating how many teens buy frequent fear though, I doubt half the teens showing up in groups of 6+ and or causing problems all have Frequent fear and come more than once or twice a year. I'm not even sure that most people know that UFF even gets free parking

Looks like Spirits & Hellblock being swapped is the reason for there not being maps. Happy to hear they are still printing them. The maps are one of my favorite HHN souvenirs to collect.

I downloaded the app and it did have the wait time on it but on the app I could never see the map with the houses in it.
It only showed the regular daytime map. I clicked on everything but I never see the hhn map.

Here's the HHN map from Universal's website.

HHN-Map.png

Pretty sure previous years had a downloadable image, but the current page doesn't allow you to, unfortunately.

Something I've noticed in just my experience, and hopefully y'all can share yours, but I've seen a lot more performers turn down selfies than in previous years.
In Sweet Revenge I tropically see them posing but in scarecrow and graveyard I have been noticing that. The twins are kinda doing what they twins back in 27 did and just keep turning and walking together when people try to take a pic. Also people still try to take flash pictures at night in the scareactors faces and I just don't get how inconsiderate these people can be. Ops has seemed to be way more lax about dealing with that. I saw someone wall though scarecrow with their phone light on and ops just left them be... Again idk if they have a new directive this year to not be confrontational or if there are a lot of new ops and they are still figuring it out.