Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - News & Info | Page 18 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - News & Info

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Dealt with this last night and it was a complete cluster. They filled one corral with express and then the second corral with express. Problem is the guy meeting took from both corrals which is the equivalent of cutting a deck of cards and shuffling them. Some express people got in faster than others and others (me included) got in way slower than others. Basically if you are at the back of a corral you are screwed. I hope they take the feedback and dump that ideas immediately. Went though around 11ish last night and did say something to one of the people working by the express scanner. Like I hate to be that person but the way they were running that express line didn't move express faster and just made it worse for some people. What's the point of two corrals if you stop scanning for 5 mins at a time to clear a corral. Unless they were gunna bump ratio to clear express faster they just moved the bulk of the express line to post scan versus pre scan
Agreed, any time you add in a merge point, you're just going to increase wait times for everyone.

Out of curiosity, where were the corrals? Where did they separate? DMP feels like one of the more basic, straight-forward Express lines, I'm having trouble picturing this.

Also, as dumb as this idea was, it sounds like long Express waits have been enough of an issue that the order has come from on high to fix them.

Only did the front 5 houses last night, but combined with reports here and on Reddit, I have a theory: once lines go up over 60, and especially 75, they begin throttling Express. Hellblock and Coven were posted 40 and 45, basically walk-ons with Express. Halloween was I believe 75, Express suddenly jumped to 30. This is all obviously speculation, but I'm thinking Ops is desperate to avoid triple digit wait times. Maybe that's the magic number that ruins GSATs or stops guests from entering a queue (further overwhelming the already busy streets and food booths). But Express waits seem to jump exponentially around that mark.

The express separated into two lines as you would round the corner of the sound stage. It was maybe just like 20-30ft of the two different lines and then it merged back together. You'd go straight ahead and then merge with the standby line before turning around.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Agreed, any time you add in a merge point, you're just going to increase wait times for everyone.

Out of curiosity, where were the corrals? Where did they separate? DMP feels like one of the more basic, straight-forward Express lines, I'm having trouble picturing this.

Also, as dumb as this idea was, it sounds like long Express waits have been enough of an issue that the order has come from on high to fix them.

Only did the front 5 houses last night, but combined with reports here and on Reddit, I have a theory: once lines go up over 60, and especially 75, they begin throttling Express. Hellblock and Coven were posted 40 and 45, basically walk-ons with Express. Halloween was I believe 75, Express suddenly jumped to 30. This is all obviously speculation, but I'm thinking Ops is desperate to avoid triple digit wait times. Maybe that's the magic number that ruins GSATs or stops guests from entering a queue (further overwhelming the already busy streets and food booths). But Express waits seem to jump exponentially around that mark.
The express separated into two lines as you would round the corner of the sound stage. It was maybe just like 20-30ft of the two different lines and then it merged back together. You'd go straight ahead and then merge with the standby line before turning around.
Well later they were running it different that that. It was one line to scan. And after scan they had 2 lines going back towards Hogwarts express that merged with regular. The way they were running it when I was there was they filled up one line completely then filled up the other line. Problem was this creates 3 lines merging. So instead of taking from the first express line until it was empty they would alternate between the 3. This effectually shuffled the express people. We were at the back of the first corral so I was standing there watching people that scanned in behind me merge from the second express line. I ended up standing in that post scan merge line for 20 mins while the people 10 people back in the express line walked right into the merge and got in. I'm not mad about the ratio between regular and express, which they still need to sort out. It was getting the crap end of the stick and having people that entered express after us just blow by while I got stuck waiting longer. It was a posted 80 min wait but the regular line was only 3 switchbacks that didn't go into that side area so maybe a 30 min line. They need to better 8dentify when the line is short and just clear express in those circumstances. It was prolly a shorter wait in the regular line than it ended up being for me.

about this crowd problems, what if universal just opened hhn on mondays and tuesdays as well? or something? seems like more days will be needed?

about this crowd problems, what if universal just opened hhn on mondays and tuesdays as well? or something? seems like more days will be needed?
How would they staff that? Most scare actors (and other staff) are probably doing the current 5 nights. Two additional nights would likely require entire additional casts / major additional staff increase.

We're talking about a diminishing product if we have to "Give them a weekend". Idk, they need to do more stress testing.
This has been my longest standing issue with HHN in totality. No single aspect of the event, apart from shows (in general) is really close to 100% opening weekend. They don’t stress test and don’t give performers in zones or houses enough “full show” rehearsal or training time. Let alone ops.

How would they staff that? Most scare actors (and other staff) are probably doing the current 5 nights. Two additional nights would likely require entire additional casts / major additional staff increase.

Yeah I understand why it doesn't work.

But taking free parking away did nothing. If anything it feels more crowded now than when we had free parking at 10 pm
I bring this up because I honestly thought that the parking change would give the event some breathing room. Easier crowds.
But it honestly feels the opposite. It feels more crowded ( I know there are other reasons for the park feeling full) I have zero idea how the ticket sales are or anything.

But the regular lines keep getting slower and now express is becoming a 40 minutes wait for people.
Prices were already raised, free parking at 10 pm removed,
And crowds feel worse than before. I know it's not realistic to have it open Monday and Tuesday. But the event opened earlier in September this year. ( More Wednesdays open) more days than before I think,
If express is getting so bad, I really can't see what they can do.

If express is getting so bad, I really can't see what they can do.

The one thing everyone hates: raise prices. Exponentially. Currently a ticket for every night but the Saturdays is right around a single Halloween night ticket at Mickey's Not So Scary (and that event still sells out routinely). I basically paid $300 and change for two months of Express--now the market is such they have to charge $199 for a single night of Express. Multi-night tickets were always undervalued, because when they were created HHN was a niche event. And since the 00s they haven't kept up with inflation, let alone "theme park inflation."

This is another problem with opening Mon/Tue--I doubt it would draw much gate revenue, because it would be RoF/FFP guests and TM-ticket guests.

I know it'll never happen because $$$ but would removing express make everything better? Everyone waits same line and it's continually moving (aside from cast changes). Surely the waits wouldn't be ridiculous across the board.

The one thing everyone hates: raise prices. Exponentially. Currently a ticket for every night but the Saturdays is right around a single Halloween night ticket at Mickey's Not So Scary (and that event still sells out routinely). I basically paid $300 and change for two months of Express--now the market is such they have to charge $199 for a single night of Express. Multi-night tickets were always undervalued, because when they were created HHN was a niche event. And since the 00s they haven't kept up with inflation, let alone "theme park inflation."

I’ll say it again, and I know it won’t be a popular answer…weekly Frequent Fear Passes.
Raises prices ,for all intents and purposes, on the people that will take advantage of them the most; while still keeping them a multi-night option for out of towners.
That would definitely make some locals choose their nights more carefully, and help with the crowds.

We were there on Thursday night -- I noticed they were handing out a lot of 'time receipts' (my choice of words, people got a slip w/ the time on it and folks hand it in when they get to the house.

We've been getting in two houses a night -- taken it slow, we've been through 6 houses thusfar -- we did get in line for Halloween on Thursday at 75 minutes and I did notice that they let a lot of standby in before switching to Express.

I know it'll never happen because $$$ but would removing express make everything better? Everyone waits same line and it's continually moving (aside from cast changes). Surely the waits wouldn't be ridiculous across the board.
I’ll say it again, and I know it won’t be a popular answer…weekly Frequent Fear Passes.
Raises prices ,for all intents and purposes, on the people that will take advantage of them the most; while still keeping them a multi-night option for out of towners.
That would definitely make some locals choose their nights more carefully, and help with the crowds.

7wyvmgX.gif

Reactions: Coolbfitz
We were there on Thursday night -- I noticed they were handing out a lot of 'time receipts' (my choice of words, people got a slip w/ the time on it and folks hand it in when they get to the house.

Guest Assistance, almost certainly. Customer Service cracked down on this abuse hard maybe 5 or 6 years ago (it was to a point where every TM, friend of a TM, and casual acquaintance of a TM knew to get one--you'd have thought IBS was endemic in Orlando), but they appear to have let up again.

Reactions: Clive
Guest Assistance, almost certainly. Customer Service cracked down on this abuse hard maybe 5 or 6 years ago (it was to a point where every TM, friend of a TM, and casual acquaintance of a TM knew to get one--you'd have thought IBS was endemic in Orlando), but they appear to have let up again.

Anecdotally it's still very hard to get a GAP.

For everyone else who've never used GAP: it's a regular Express once a night if waits are under 30 minutes stand by, but if it's longer they give you a return time. So it's not automatic express pass for free.

It's probably important to remember that much like daytime guests, a "successful" night to the average HHN-goer does not mean hitting all 10 houses, both shows, and time in the scare zones.

While I don't have any hard data to back it up, my friends have all usually been content with hitting 3-4 houses, grabbing some drinks, and checking out the tribute store to pick up a shirt. Until a night like that is no longer feasible for the average guest to complete in one night, I wouldn't expect any massive changes.

Small things I expect to see/could happen:
- Continual price raising year over year on tickets
- Ultimate Fear + Express is going to hit 1k soon
- Individual house express pass? (think Lighting Lane..$30 to skip the queue for just Halloween one time)
- Opening weekend starting on a Thursday night to hopefully reduce a little of the turnout

• Wow
Reactions: Lucky Planet
It's probably important to remember that much like daytime guests, a "successful" night to the average HHN-goer does not mean hitting all 10 houses, both shows, and time in the scare zones.

While I don't have any hard data to back it up, my friends have all usually been content with hitting 3-4 houses, grabbing some drinks, and checking out the tribute store to pick up a shirt. Until a night like that is no longer feasible for the average guest to complete in one night, I wouldn't expect any massive changes.

Small things I expect to see/could happen:
- Continual price raising year over year on tickets
- Ultimate Fear + Express is going to hit 1k soon
- Individual house express pass? (think Lighting Lane..$30 to skip the queue for just Halloween one time)
- Opening weekend starting on a Thursday night to hopefully reduce a little of the turnout

Universal ultimately has all the data on ticket purchases, visit habits, and more. I did hear Uni was considering pausing RoF sales as they were VERY strong this year, so maybe we'll see larger than normal increases next year.

Honestly, I think people overestimate the number of people who go multiple times a season that crowd the park and underestimate that same crowd's Express usage flooding queues. De-tethering passes and express would help solve this issue, but again, only Uni knows the data behind how popular that would be.