Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 81 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yeah the very potential Orlando could have done with him, Hollywood had already done it and pretty much shows that yeah not many people would fully love it and only a select few would lol.

Yeah, Hollywood definitely took it a step further for his 2006 appearance (some of the pre-event media they shot was genuinely pretty unsettling). The other issue is it's hard to translate what makes that kind of character scary into a theme park haunted house... In both All Night Die-In's, Director was really only present in the opening scene as a framing device. He only got a shot to do more direct scares in the Horror Nights Nightmare maze and Icons: Captured. For the latter... everyone (?) just focused on him being hot.

And the Director (like Jack) has taken up residency in Hollywood (2006) as mentioned above, but also Singapore (2011) for their debut year. However he was only used for marketing & a photo-op.

In Jack's case, Hollywood 2007. But twice in Singapore (2014) for a house/show & (2016) show only (2nd time with his updated 25th anniversary look)

Sure, but strip away the more unseemly parts of his backstory, and he's still a fast-talking colorful clown. It's like how everyone selectively remembers Freddy's backstory. Take away what makes the Director tick and what do you have?
Extremely valid counterpoint, and the answer lends to why he's my least favorite: Just a boring generic killer with little to no personality.

Extremely valid counterpoint, and the answer lends to why he's my least favorite: Just a boring generic killer with little to no personality.

But that's the thing - he does have a very perverse and demented personality! It's just something better suited to a feature film versus a haunt event. It's hard to translate if you aren't willing to go there. (There's a broader discussion of how arguably all of the icons have gotten defanged in the modern era as the event itself has become safer.)

But that's the thing - he does have a very perverse and demented personality! It's just something better suited to a feature film versus a haunt event. It's hard to translate if you aren't willing to go there. (There's a broader discussion of how arguably all of the icons have gotten defanged in the modern era as the event itself has become safer.)

Yeah - Jack has become more of a murderous psycho clown than ... well... you know.

(There's a broader discussion of how arguably all of the icons have gotten defanged in the modern era as the event itself has become safer.)
Except for the 2005 marketing wench, "The Storyteller", who randomly became a demon in the HHN 30 icon house lol

Let's not forget her supernatural powers in 2006's icon short film.. despite, the random tongue-ripping gimmick also given to her for The Arrival lol

Backstory and personality take a backseat to visuals. Even in the modern era, 98% of guests don't know Jack's history or even his last name (so few paid attention to last year's "Wanted" poster) -- but creepy clowns and the exaggerated features that hide their true face speak to something primal, which is why they reappear in pop culture so often.

The Director looks like a stereotypical creepy incel plastered on a t-shirt. That doesn't sell merch. A demented clown, tho, with pops of primary color--that's eye-catching.

I don't know. I like my orlando/Hollywood Director shirt lol.. I'm more annoyed that The Usher didn't get merch

I'm not a fan of the Studio Screamers mini-funko knock-offs or the recent giant head figures trend (Killer Klowns excluded), BUT if they released a line of icon figures like the Universal Monsters bendyfigs, I'd be happy. Or actual 6-7inch figures with stands/accessories.

I don't know. I like my orlando/Hollywood Director shirt lol.. I'm more annoyed that The Usher didn't get merch

I'm not a fan of the Studio Screamers mini-funko knock-offs or the recent giant head figures trend (Killer Klowns excluded), BUT if they released a line of icon figures like the Universal Monsters bendyfigs, I'd be happy. Or actual 6-7inch figures with stands/accessories.
I'm in 100% agreement that I hate Studio Screamers lol

I really do hope that maybe one day they could find a way to bring that out in a way that would work for the modern event, but I don't have high hopes for that unfortunately. :(

And as you said, it very much doesn't help that All Nite Die-In is essentially just an IP house, with him only being the opening.

And as you said, it very much doesn't help that All Nite Die-In is essentially just an IP house, with him only being the opening.
Same can be said about 2009's Silver Screams. I have a love/hate relationship with that house. It tried being an icon house with teases of The Usher's backstory, but also ended up being "All Nite Die-In: Take 3" due to the IPs shoved in (My Bloody Valentine, The Thing, Army of Darkness, Shaun of the Dead, The Strangers). The worst part is, these same IPs (Army of Darkness excluded) could be seem represented in the Horrorwood Die-In SZ.

The only other IP featured in Silver Screams was 1925's Phantom of the Opera, but THAT was actual vital to the Usher's backstory.

So it always bugged me that we could've had a better house that reflected the icon (as well a Universal Monster) if the other IPs stayed out of it. Granted the Usher got at least 3 scenes (beginning, middle, finale), while The Director only got 2 (beginning & finale)

I do wish to see high quality fully articulate figures of HHN characters/ icons someday though
Jack would have 4 versions lol
- 2000 Original
- 2006 Shadybrook Straight jacket
- 2007 Ringmaster
- 2015 Updated Ringmaster

I'd want the 2005 Terra Queen & her Terra Beast bike! Throw in the Terra Throne too & I'd be set lol :skull:

Come on Universal, we know you still lurk on the forums like you did back in the day. Make it happen. You know we'll buy it day 1!

Last edited: