Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 188 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I was around in the old days, and I could be forgetting but… this sure doesn’t feel like 18 or 19 to me. Those felt like lore-heavy games played between the attraction designers and a relatively small group of interested fans - not something that could necessarily be scaled to the current scope of the event. This feels like a slick, high-production-value ad that may very well have little or nothing to do with the actual event - very much in line with what we’ve gotten in recent years.

In any case, I doubt it’s Fear unless he’s undergone such a massive redesign that he’s essentially a new character. Fear wasn’t particularly well-received if I recall - he was generic and uninteresting compared to the existing icons. This feels a lot more reminiscent of the Lovecraftian story they’re weaving around Boris - which I’d be delighted to see get major focus. I suspect, however, that it’s more likely this is just a general tone trailer.

Like @Galactus said, Flash is dead and internet marketing is simply different in 2024. The "Golden Years" gave backstory through flash games that absolutely would not hit the same in 2024. We're no longer in the era of sites like AddictingGames lol. The past few years, we've transitioned to intricate podcasts deep-diving each and every house, scarezone, icon, and even tribute store. There's no shortage of lore dumps in the current era. It's just done in a modern way, as the flash games were modern back in those days. If anything, we seem to be in a lore renaissance. We have icon lore tying together with the rest of the park, we have tribute store lore, we have side character lore, etc.

These video teasers don't really need to be compared to the websites as the podcasts are the real comparison. If these videos were comparable to anything from "the Golden Years" it would be the repetitive annual first few teasers of -insert old event reaction footage- "For the past _ years, Horror has had one home. Halloween Horror Nights" -end footage- such as the below:

It's May and early on in the marketing push. I'm not about to jump to a conclusion on this teaser one way or another, but it has me intrigued at the very least /shrug

Last edited:
Going back to this, as an example:

In Breath of the Wild, Calamity Ganon wasn't exactly Ganon per say, but rather a manifestation of Ganon's hatred and anger after being sealed away for so long, and I believe it could be a similar situation here. Calamity Adaru, if you would.
This whole teaser gave me heavy BOTW vibes with the cocoon and the creatures corrupting influence over the atmosphere

I was around in the old days, and I could be forgetting but… this sure doesn’t feel like 18 or 19 to me. Those felt like lore-heavy games played between the attraction designers and a relatively small group of interested fans - not something that could necessarily be scaled to the current scope of the event. This feels like a slick, high-production-value ad that may very well have little or nothing to do with the actual event - very much in line with what we’ve gotten in recent years.
You SHOULD remember that 18 and 19 was updated every few weeks giving fans new kernels of info until the full reveal. We obviously live in a very different time (as @Tbad556 so eloquently posted).

Either way, I meant in the sense of knowing absolutely nothing to little about the event and Universal giving us a bone leading up to the full reveal (Like HHN 14 when they debuted the unnamed straight-jacket guy and nondescript boxes, or 15 with a bookshelf full of items). It left fans to speculate what it all meant until the next reveal...

So here you have a cocoon that lives underneath the streets of Universal, where we'll get reveals over the next few months...and fans are wondering what it all means - leaving it all up to speculation.

Last edited:
This just hit me as well.

What if the original we've thought to be a Greek or Egyptian house is an Adaru house? In his origins, Adaru comes from Greek mythology, and the name is 'fear' translated from Sumerian.
To piggy back off of this Aaru is also an Egyptian god. It's spelled differently from Adaru, but I found this to be a fun coincidence.

Reactions: bdubsCEO
I don’t like what it does if true.

The “super d duper” is intentionally derisive.
The immediate reaction is if this is the equivalent to "God" of HHN. Like something that is of the "God" of horror, and has been irked somehow as a result of whatever is causing them to descend.

May be wrong; but it'd be funny if now God was pissed that the death quota wasn't enough.

Do you think it's a concept that'll be devisive among other hhn fans? I'm getting a bit concerned lol
It’s going to need to thread a needle. Without fully knowing the execution, I can’t say how divisive it may be. It has the potential, at the most generalized level, to upend the entirety of icon lore. But it could elevate it too. I’m just not sure how.
The immediate reaction is if this is the equivalent to "God" of HHN. Like something that is of the "God" of horror, and has been irked somehow as a result of whatever is causing them to descend.

May be wrong; but it'd be funny if now God was pissed that the death quota wasn't enough.
We already have a god - Fear.