Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights XX: Review & Pictures

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
*This thread may contain spoliers*

Friday was opening night for HHN XX: Twenty Years of Fear. I was able to spend Friday and Saturday night enjoying this year's event. Speaking with T.J. Mannarino on Friday, he really wanted to drive home that this year was for the fans, and as you experience what the event has to offer, you can see the love for the fans. So without further adieu, here is my review of this year's event. In those 2 days, I did every house and show save for Malice, Brian Brushwood's new act.

HOUSES

Horror Nights: The Hallow'd Past
First Run - 8/10
Second Run - 8/10

The set design for this house is amazing. This house is basically a trip down memory lane for all Horror Night fans. So what it lacks in scares, it makes up in nostaligia. I'm not sure why they really only focused on the past 6 years of HHN instead of the past 20. The use of the Dead Exposure room was perplexing as I can think of better houses to borrow from. Also, both times I went throught the house, there weren't any actors in the "Treaks N Foons" room, which I felt it was a missed opportunity.

Catacombs: Black Death Rising
First Run - 7/10
Second Run - 9/10

Another house with great set design. This is one of the better tent houses in recent memory. The first night, the scareactors were ok, I guess they were getting settled into their roles. The 2nd night was a more intentse experience. The actors definitely amped up their role and a few of the "doctors" came really close to my face. The finale of the house is sort of a let down however.

Havoc: Dogs of War
First Run - 4/10
Second Run - 9/10

I'm mixed on this house. The first night, the actors all just stood there, looking at us with little effort to try to scare. The second night, it was like they all realized it was time to step up and they just went nuts as I walked thru. The set design is ok, just your basic generic military theme. I have to go thru the house a few more times to really get a feel and give it a fair, final assesment. Apparently, there was supposed to be a machine gun firing at the entrance, but it wasn't working the first 2 nights. Keep a sharp eye out as there are a few shout outs to the creative team in the first room.

The Orfanage: Ashes to Ashes
First Run - 5/10
Second Run - 5/10

I really was disappointed in this house. To be fair, both times I went thru was during a cast change so I didn't get to see a lot of Cindy. However, a lot of the scenes were pretty redundant. Burned room, child with mask, "boo!". The entrance was well done however, with the moving see-saw. It was very eerie and was a great set-up to a mediocre house. Also, the flame effect is subtle, but effective.

ZombieGeddon
Only Run - 10/10

Sadly, I only got to do this house once. I was surprised by how intense this house became after the lighthearted beginning. Everything was great about the house. The sets, the actors, the subtle smell. I loved how everything in the area was tied together, it had great synergy with the outside scarezone. Just a great, great house that I can't wait to enjoy again.

Hades: The Gates of Ruin
First Run - 8/10
Second Run - 10/10

Probably right up there with Zombiegeddon for my favorite house. The facade and set design is stunning. The costume design is top notch, and the overall atmosphere of this house is phenomenal. The only reason it got an 8 for the first run is because some of the actors were changing out. I felt the Medusa room was pretty intense. I never scare, or jump. Well, it happened twice in that room. :lol:

PsychoScareapy: Echoes of Shadybrook
First Run - 7/10
Second Run - 9/10

Another house with great set design. It's nice that his HHN Favorite is getting a proper send off. It definitely has left behind the light-hearted nature it started becoming. Also, make sure you press the Red Button! My only problem with this house is that the finale isn't strong. I expected something a little better.

Legendary Truth: The Wyandot Estate
First Run - 7/10
Second Run - 8/10
Third Run - 8/10

The facade to this house is probably one of the best ever for Horror Nights. A major problem is that a lot of the neat effects that make the house "haunted" will be missed by most of the public. However, what helps the house is that an eerieness is felt the whole time you walk through. So whereas you might miss a big scare, you still feel eerie as you head to the exit. What really let me down was the final room. It's just boring.

SCAREZONES

HHN: 20 Years of Fear
7/10

It's nice to see all your favorites out, but a lot of it seems like a huge photo op. What works here though is that the actors turn the photo ops into scare opportunities. I've seen a few of my favorites (Gentleman, Dracula) but I haven't seen Eelmouth or Nightmare.

Fear Revealed
7/10

Anotherphoto op zone. It's great to see all the icons out with their new twist of being Fear's puppets. There are barely any scares here though. I'm a little let down with Fear's involvement in the zone. His presence is definitely great, but he just stands there, with his 5 souls, while the flames shoot out the "XX". Just want to see a bit more.

Zombie Gras
9/10

Definitely more light hearted than it's associated house. It's a great zone for some laughs, but also grabs it's opportunities to scare you. Plus, it's zombies. You can never go wrong with zombies.

Saws n' Steam
8/10

A small scarezone that packs a lot of entertainment. The high amount of fog creates a perfect atmosphere. The scareactors are great here, and Sting Alley has finally been utilized right.

The Coven
6/10

Nice atmosphere, just not a lot of scares. Most of the witches are just walking around, while creepy, just doesn't work me. I do love the burning pilgrims though. :lol:

Esquelo Muerte
7/10

My guilty pleasure. :lol: I think the purpose for this zone isn't supposed to be scary, but a fun creepy that everyone can enjoy. The lighting and set design is fantastic and the costumes are top notch. I can probably spend a whole night just snapping pictures of this area.

Bill & Ted
5/10

Le sigh. It had it's moments, but it was pretty bad this year. It's not as bad as everyone made it out to be, but it was still pretty lackluster. To be fair, and they do make a joke out of it, there wasn't a lot to work with for summer movies. Although I can proabably think of a few better options to make fun of than what they used.

What Worked: Twilight parody (Edward casting was great), Bieber, Nic Cage, "Hide Yo Kid" Reference, Lady Gaga, dance numbers, Katy Perry (She's a looker :wave:)

What Didn't Work: Plot, iPhone 4, Jersey Shore, Mel Gibson, Main Villains, Iron Man, Hit Girl, Mr. T

Overall, I've enjoyed the event. It's great to see all the favorites, but still maintain a fresh twist on everything. Below are pictures from Opening Weekend. Enjoy!

IMG_1674.jpg

IMG_1661.jpg

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1640.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1578.jpg

IMG_1570.jpg

IMG_1549.jpg

IMG_1524.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1472.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1414.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

IMG_1399.jpg

IMG_1389.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1346.jpg

IMG_1336.jpg

IMG_1332.jpg

IMG_1313.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1273.jpg

IMG_1262.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1245.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

IMG_1226.jpg

IMG_1215.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1174.jpg

IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_1157.jpg

IMG_1150.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1088.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1026.jpg

IMG_1004.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

Summed it up perfectly Bri, just wish I was able to hit Catacombs and PS, it seems CC has been a favorite so far.

Great review and amazing pictures:rep:, what kind of camera do you use to get those amazing night shots?

I use the same lens on my Nikon D60, but with nowhere near as clean results... I love my Nikon, but low-light shooting is not it's forte unfortunately...

Great review and AWESOME pics! :rep: I want your camera! :p

Where was the rat lady? I did not see her when I went :-S

I'll post my full review soon. I still gotta do Hades and Brian Brushwood, which I didn't get to on Friday. When I post my review, should I do it here or should each person's review/report be on its own thread?

Thanks guys!

Rat Lady was over by Brushwood on Sat night. As far as reviews, this was posted as an OU Opening Weekend review. You could post your review in here, but recommend it is posted in it's respective thread.

Great pics! I have to live vicariously through y'all because the only thing I can handle is a camera with an "idiot" setting that takes medicore shots.

I went on a Thursday night 10/7 and even with the Express pass a was only able to go into 5 of the houses. I had assumed the park was closing at 2am instead of midnight. Also I'm used to the Orlando parks having a "soft close" meaning they slowly start shutting things down at the designated time. Literally at 12midnight on the dot they stopped letting people into the haunted houses. I was pretty disappointed. I guess I can't blame anyone but myself for poor time management. I didn't expect Menace & Malice to have so much previously seen material that I could have skipped and maybe caught another house or two. I thought the Scarezones were better than I've seen in a while.