Halloween Horror Nights XX: Twenty Years of Fear | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights XX: Twenty Years of Fear

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I agree, but what was the first icon? I thought the first few years were more generic and then a few years into it they started having icons for every event.

Well, it depends on how you look at it. The very first icon ever used for the event was the Cryptkeeper, who I believe was used in HHN IV and V. However, the very first original icon ever created specifically for HHN was, as you probably know, Jack the clown. Honestly, I consider Jack to be much more important to the event's history than the Cryptkeeper, however I see no reason why they both couldn't show up. The only problem now is that the Cryptkeeper just isn't relevant anymore.

EDIT: Just checked the Vault. According to them, the Cryptkeeper was the icon for HHN V and had a house during HHN VI. My mistake.

Last edited:
I agree, but what was the first icon? I thought the first few years were more generic and then a few years into it they started having icons for every event.

It depends on how you define icon. The Cryptkeeper was the first icon used for HHN and was first used during HHN 5. The first Universal created icon was Jack and he was first used as the icon for HHN 10.

I remember reading somewhere that Universal could no longer use the Cryptkeeper for Halloween Horror Nights. If this is the case, don't expect to see him there. I plan on seeing most of the icons at this year's event but I wouldn't be surprised if they all didn't appear. Not all of the previous icons were physically used at the HHN XX scarezone last year such as Bloody Mary.

Cryptkeeper was the first Icon, But There will be copyright issues and He in reality is not part of the ICons. They didn't bring him back for the original reunion. So far the theme is another recycle of 16 it sounds like. I am hoping some new Icon instead of the old standby of Jack....But if the always patterning following HHN stays there normal course jack will have a huge presence.

Alright I didn't get a photo and I should of but the hangar doors were open at SS 21 today and it appeared as though construction has begun on one of the haunts. It could be for something else entirely but it was plain wooden walls and a couple of carpenters. You can get a great view just past the lockers at the HRRR exit.

Alright I didn't get a photo and I should of but the hangar doors were open at SS 21 today and it appeared as though construction has begun on one of the haunts. It could be for something else entirely but it was plain wooden walls and a couple of carpenters. You can get a great view just past the lockers at the HRRR exit.

That sounds about right. Based on behind-the-scenes information that Universal has divulged in the past, this is about the time that they would start building the houses. Thanks for the heads up, hatetofly. You should be promoted to OU correspondent with all of your excellent updates.

I'm curious to see if the main icons are getting the SS treatment this time. The Storyteller was given the Jaws queue at 16 and that had to be one of the worst houses of all time to be honest with you. I would love to see the Director and Usher combined into one house and that would be creepy, and I really want to see Eddie get his own true house, not just RUN.

Houses I predict will be back:

All Night DIE IN
Hellgate Prison
Scream House
Universal's Museum of Horrors
The Mummy

At what time of the year do we usually start getting announcements and official info on the year's event? like ads, the website going live, etc.? (Basically, how early in the year will we get confirmation of theme and stuff? ... judging from previous years)

At what time of the year do we usually start getting announcements and official info on the year's event? like ads, the website going live, etc.? (Basically, how early in the year will we get confirmation of theme and stuff? ... judging from previous years)

The site goes live during the summer. The official information always slowly comes out through the multiple site updates. I can't wait for the site to go live this time around. I'm hoping they bring back Legendary Truth this year as well.

Reactions: Felipe
Thanks Tbad! :) You're always answering my questions! :rep:

I feel like this might have been asked before, but I don't remember, so I'll ask anyways :p

Supposing this is another reunion year, and supposing we'll see many icons coming back, would you guys like it if there was a house featuring all icons from HHN's past? I think if done right, I'd totally dig it! What about you guys?

Supposing this is another reunion year, and supposing we'll see many icons coming back, would you guys like it if there was a house featuring all icons from HHN's past? I think if done right, I'd totally dig it! What about you guys?

Well, they toyed with that idea with the Horror Nights Nightmares house at HHN14. It'll be interesting to see if they go with a similar format. I could see them doing something like this, but don't necessarily think they will.

I almost think that last years scarezone at the end of the event was a precursor to HHN20, but I don't know what impact we'll see them.

I want to see the return of the Usher, I can do without the rest.

They could possibly do a house for each category. This is just what came to mind,

Movies House-Director and Usher
Fairy Tale House-Story Teller
Urban Legends-Bloody Mary
Fun House-Jack and Eddie
Mortuary House-Caretaker and Cindy
Classic HHN past-Cryptkeeper, Psycho, People under the Stairs
Classic Monster House-Dracula, Frankenstein, Mummy
Fan Favorite House-Body Collectors, Scary Tales, Psychoscareapy, and The Thing to name a few.

That would be a pretty sweet reunion line up.

They could possibly do a house for each category. This is just what came to mind,

Fun House-Jack and Eddie
Fan Favorite House-Body Collectors, Scary Tales, Psychoscareapy, and The Thing to name a few.

Oh that could work! and it would be sweet! I love all of your ideas :) The only one I'm not completely sold on is the fan favorites house because the ones you mentioned for that don't all go together very well, with like a common theme, so it'd be a little all over the place... but the other house ideas with different icons/characters coming together are awesome!

Oh that could work! and it would be sweet! I love all of your ideas :) The only one I'm not completely sold on is the fan favorites house because the ones you mentioned for that don't all go together very well, with like a common theme, so it'd be a little all over the place... but the other house ideas with different icons/characters coming together are awesome!

Thanks, yeah I thought to myself the same thing. They could make fan favorites incorporated into the above houses as well though.

Movie House-The Thing-Director and Usher
Mortuary House-Body Collectors-Caretaker and Cindy
Fairy Tale House-Scary Tales-Storyteller

Just a few to use as examples.

Fun House-Jack and Eddie

Most of these would be good, except they guy with the rights to Bloody Mary hasn't heard from UO at all, so if she isn't in the plans as of now, she won't be added in later since they plan this event and they already started building in the SS. I hope we don't see Psycho or PUTS again, I'm sick of them, and The Thing had its own house a couple of years ago and was apart of Silver Screams last year. They shouldn't over do it.

Now a fun house for Jack is understandable, but Eddie wasn't fun at all, he was a deranged maniac, albeit, Jack's brother, but he wasn't fun at all.

Houses by name I'm pretty sure we'll see:

All Night DIE In
RUN
Screamhouse
The Mummy
Castle Vampyr

Besides that it is a toss up.

Please don't bring back an ICON HOuse the Icon House at HHN 14 was one of the worst of all times. It wasn't quite as Bad As Reflections in Fear but it was close. I myself hate to see HHN have another reunion Year, they did it 4 years ago. But I guess I have seen Jack so Many times since 2000 It drives me insane when they bring him back. I am sure people like him But I think when you have an Event like HHN that is supposed to be so cutting edge and yet you recycle the same ICOn over and over it gets old.

--- Update ---

Also did any of you do Jack's Fun House? Please put that with PUTS, Reflection of Fear, HHN NIghtmares(That was the icon house) And If you do a Body Collector House try to do something beside a Backbone thing, 2 times is enough, try to surprise us...

As far as worst ever houses some that I would up at the top of the list:

PUTS: Under Construction
Dungeons of Terror (storyteller version)
Chucky

I also heard people say that Disorientorium was really bad too, but I didn't experience it myself.

Ahh Worst House Sadly they have a number we did a list one time. And Reflections of Fear was a huge Vote Getter. But the Worst House of All Times were both done in Jurrasic Park Jungle of Doom and The Fear Factor House both Stink so bad they are in there own category.