Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Hamilton (2020)

Ah, here it is. It's no wonder Lin is willing to bleep out a few words here and there if Disney's paying $75M. For Disney, this deal does give them full future rights to a potential Hamilton movie (non-staged) and rights to the music that comes from any of their distributions (I believe Hollywood Records would have the right to put out a Hamilton live album and potential movie soundtrack down the road, etc).

Also, from the article above:
"Director Tommy Kail directed both the stage version and the movie, which consisted of shooting three live performances, and also some setup shots without an audience. All of the footage was used to create multiple angles, to ensure the cinematic nature of the event, without a bad seat in the house."

The way they talk about it, it sounds like a hybrid version of the show and maybe that will be a way to get around some of the swearing?

As I said, i've come across enough programming on Disney+ with the word $#!+ in it that I doubt they censor it. My hope is they just censor the f-bomb and the edit won't be too bad. If they do edit out "son of a whore" and things like that, then yeah, it'll be hard to watch. I'll watch it once, but if it's extremely edited, it will decrease the replay value quite a bit.

I know that Disney+ needs content, but this most certainly should've been a Hulu project.
The “hybrid” filming was how the filmed the 1987 “Into the Woods.” It actually works remarkably well.

I could see D+ launching both a “family-friendly” abridged version as well as the full version with a disclaimer/pop-up for the profanity in the full version.
I would love to have the choice, but I just highly doubt it. The thing is Disney+ is marketed as a family-friendly network and a streaming service that parents can feel safe with letting their kids watch without worrying. An unedited version of Hamilton would seemingly go against that marketing pitch.

Then they need to start putting the unedited versions on Hulu. If Splash was hard to watch with the edits made, I can't even imagine Hamilton. :lol:

Then they need to start putting the unedited versions on Hulu. If Splash was hard to watch with the edits made, I can't even imagine Hamilton. :lol:
What they should do is put the unedited versions in the “extras” section of the movie on Disney+. Ain’t no kid gonna dig that deep to find Daryl Hannah’s bare ass. The same could be done with Hamilton.

I will say it is normal for any Broadway show that’s recording to usually record from multiple performances, so that is quite normal. Most shows get recorded for the Lincoln Center Archives, or Netflix, or PBS, but ya, its always typically filmed across a few performances to get all the best angles, performances, audience reactions, whatever they can.

I will say it is normal for any Broadway show that’s recording to usually record from multiple performances, so that is quite normal. Most shows get recorded for the Lincoln Center Archives, or Netflix, or PBS, but ya, its always typically filmed across a few performances to get all the best angles, performances, audience reactions, whatever they can.
They also filmed without an audience to make it seem more cinematic, however.

Yikes, a good bit of important dialogue has cursing if some sort in it. I wonder if they’ll consider “bastard” a slur even tho it’s a true statement.
Based on the language i've heard on Disney+ (granted across different shows and movies, never in one giant package), I think the F-bomb is the real problem. I think that everything else is fine.

As for "bastard" being a slur... you have to remember this musical is based on a book about Hamilton's life. They could just put a warning like they have for some other stuff that says "because this is depicting a different time in our Nation's history, some things will not be politically correct for current day". I see them letting it go and only censoring the F-bomb. I'd bet if I looked into it, there's a movie on Disney+ where the word "Bastard" is said.

Literally all curse words that are in Hamilton outside of F-bomb and (maybe) Bastard i've heard in a movie or show on Disney+. I think as long as the editing is well done, the final product will probably still be very enjoyable.

Last edited:
Based on the language i've heard on Disney+ (granted across different shows and movies, never in one giant package), I think the F-bomb is the real problem. I think that everything else is fine.

As for "bastard" being a slur... you have to remember this musical is based on a book about Hamilton's life. They could just put a warning like they have for some other stuff that says "because this is depicting a different time in our Nation's history, some things will not be politically correct for current day".
If they get rid of the 2 F-Bombs only, then I think it’ll be fine. There are already 3 other parts where the f-word is censored, so it’ll probably still flow pretty well. I wouldn’t be surprised if Disney had it dubbed or the specific part of those scenes re-recorded.

If they get rid of the 2 F-Bombs only, then I think it’ll be fine. There are already 3 other parts where the f-word is censored, so it’ll probably still flow pretty well. I wouldn’t be surprised if Disney had it dubbed or the specific part of those scenes re-recorded.
You can have one f-word and still be PG13. They better keep Hercules Mulligan gets the f back up again!

Just to put it out here, the reasoning for PG-13 according to the trailer is "Language and Some Suggestive Material".

Also, supposedly Disney+ has said they will release the show "as-is". We'll see. They did censor the one F-bomb in "Free Solo", though.

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain this will be the first ever release either way under the Walt Disney Studios banner to even have a trailing "fuuuuuuuuuuuu..." even if the cut out the actual word. If they don't cut the word, this may well be the first movie Disney has ever released not under Touchstone/Miramax/20th Studios/etc to actually come out with it. They've been very careful even with the MCU - they have humor and they can push it a little, but the one thing Disney doesn't want even out of the MCU is an F-word.

Why Does Disney buy things if they know they are going to have to senor it? Still excited to finally see this but come on Disney you knew what this was when you paid to film it

A quote from Lin-Manuel Miranda in February that was in the article below:
“If we have to mute a word here or there to reach the largest audience possible, I’m OK with that, because your kids already have the original language memorized. I don’t think we’re depriving anyone of anything if we mute an f-bomb here or there to make our rating.”

A quote from Lin-Manuel Miranda in February that was in the article below:
“If we have to mute a word here or there to reach the largest audience possible, I’m OK with that, because your kids already have the original language memorized. I don’t think we’re depriving anyone of anything if we mute an f-bomb here or there to make our rating.”
Then why do it in the original?

It was for fun to say the F word? I get what he means but think its more he doesn't want to fight the hands that feed him

The Hercules Mulligan F bomb during Yorktown was censored out when they performed it during the Tony Awards. Really don't think it's a big deal.