Hamilton (2020) | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Hamilton (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
We can talk about which way you’d prefer to see a movie made until the cows come home, but it’ll be live action whenever it happens. If the broadway show is criticized for romanticizing slave owners, I can only imagine how an animated version would be received...

Reactions: Magic Feather
I understand the love for Laika, but they don't really do a lot of creative collaborations outside of book adaptations.
The Laika exhibit at the Globe Theater was one of the best things at USH the last time I was there...

Shame that seemingly no one watches their movies.

EDIT: I'd also imagine any stop-motion film production is doubly hard now due to the pandemic, although from behind the scenes videos, it often seems like individual animators are often left alone in large rooms working on massive miniature sets, so maybe social distancing is possible in that scenario.

It’s hard to say a historical event that occurred 200 years ago is a “spoiler.” I knew about the Burr/Hamilton duel in the 4th grade.

I'm of the mind that if someone doesn't gain new perspective or value through an interpretation then it shouldn't' be done. Just doing Hamilton, but a movie!, isn't enough IMHO.

Just doing Hamilton, but a movie!, isn't enough IMHO.
I mean, that can be your opinion that it shouldn't be done, but we've been talking about a movie because Disney has the rights... which means a movie is going to happen at some point whether it should or shouldn't happen.

I just can't see how a live action adaptation could retain the abstract-ness in time and setting without being incredibly awkward and/or distracting.
That's where creative, talented people come in. You just can't see it, but I believe there are some great film makers who could. Especially with a musical where we are suspending a realistic interpretation to start with, I can see how a live action version could retain the abstractness of the stage production very well.

Reactions: Nick
I mean, that can be your opinion that it shouldn't be done, but we've been talking about a movie because Disney has the rights... which means a movie is going to happen at some point whether it should or shouldn't happen.

Oh yeah it's deff my opinion on the subject. Nothing more lol

Oh yeah it's deff my opinion on the subject. Nothing more lol
I mean i'm sort of of the same mindset and agree with you. I think what they put out on Disney+ is perfect and like you're saying, what will a movie version of Hamilton actually add to the conversation besides probably reworking it to address slavery a bit more. I honestly didn't know that much about this specific event in history beforehand and I don't know if that's because of my school's curriculum or what, but now with all the research i've done I know way more than I need to. But that's because the show really made me think, which is what good art does.

I've just accepted that a movie is going to happen at some point.

For the play yes....but I am sorry. The guy playing Burr destroys Lin..no clue how he was overlooked

Leslie Odom Jr. (Burr) got nominated for best supporting actor AND best original song for One Night in Miami from Amazon directed by Regina King. Maybe they didn't want to give him a nom three ways.

I'm gonna be leveling on this: Hamilton really, really, really shouldn't of been nominated at all. I'm still kind of livid that it did get nominated to begin with.
I don’t know, the amount of work that it takes to translate the production this well to a motion picture experience I think elevates it to a level that deserves recognition of some type. I’ve seen some pretty convincing arguments that it technically meets requirements for Oscar consideration as well, assuming that waivers are issued for theatrical releases.

If so, Hamilton might be an EGOT speedrun for LMM

In terms of awards, I think filmed stage performances should be categorized differently than "genuine" films that were conceived to be motion pictures.

"Best Recorded Live Performance," or something along those lines. Concert films could also fall under that.

Leslie Odom Jr. (Burr) got nominated for best supporting actor AND best original song for One Night in Miami from Amazon directed by Regina King. Maybe they didn't want to give him a nom three ways.
TO me if your amazing in something...you can win as many awards as you can. The man is super talented and the fact he makes a character i dont like...to be liable is a feat in itself not even talking about how well the man can sing.

I also think it just doesn’t feel right that this got nominated despite being a recording of the stage version. But, Spielberg’s been saying similar stuff about streaming movies competing for Oscars, so YMMV.

Reactions: WAJAS