Hamilton (2020) | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Hamilton (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It’s hard to say a historical event that occurred 200 years ago is a “spoiler.” I knew about the Burr/Hamilton duel in the 4th grade.

Scripted Bio-drama's aren't new. The question would be more in the terms of adapting Hamilton..where the line get's drawn on certain aspects. Especially if they'd try to put it on Disney+, similar to how the broadway show is on there.

Honestly--it's kind of the reason why I think Ham may go for the television circuit as opposed to film.

If they're going to stretch it, and to get all they can--having Lin involved directly on an adaptation for television will allow them to stretch out the contents of the Broadway musical, to add more elements from past iterations of Hamilton. And, to add new elements, new songs and chances for dialogue to shine the light's of how these people lived during the period of the mid/late 1700's to 1804.
I would say yes, but Network TV is going to require a LOT more censoring to Hamilton than Disney+ did to it. At that point, why are you even doing it.

It’s hard to say a historical event that occurred 200 years ago is a “spoiler.” I knew about the Burr/Hamilton duel in the 4th grade.
Again, i'm not arguing that point, but not everyone had great History teachers. I personally was taught little to nothing about Hamilton through my schooling. Obviously it's history so it's not a spoiler, but for those that don't know the story (which i'd say is the majority), it was a risk (that paid off) to say up front that Burr killed Hamilton.

Last edited:
I would say yes, but Network TV is going to require a LOT more censoring to Hamilton than Disney+ did to it. At that point, why are you even doing it.

Again, i'm not arguing that point, but not everyone had great History teachers. I personally was taught little to nothing about Hamilton through my schooling. Obviously it's history so it's not a spoiler, but for those that don't know the story (which i'd say is the majority), it was a risk (that paid off) to say up front that Burr killed Hamilton.

My mind clicked more for Hulu directly, than Network TV (..The only exception I'd say, is if it'd be on FX).

My mind clicked more for Hulu directly, than Network TV (..The only exception I'd say, is if it'd be on FX).
Ah, I thought you meant something like a live TV musical. I guess I can see how a Hamilton STORY worked in this way, but are we still showing the Hamilton musical at that point? What you're talking about sounds more like a History channel type of thing.

Ah, I thought you meant something like a live TV musical. I guess I can see how a Hamilton STORY worked in this way, but are we still showing the Hamilton musical at that point? What you're talking about sounds more like a History channel type of thing.

The way I see it, is more of a miniseries, that adapts the contents of Hamilton, the musical, to expand that of the two acts. But with the expansion, they'd integrate opportunities for dialogue and more natural scenes without the flow of a musical number.

And for songs added, it can range to some of the cut songs (let it go, and Cabinet Meeting 3 come to mind really quick). Along with new songs written by Lin directly, to have it stand out from the Broadway show in both live form, and in the pre-recorded forms.

So I guess, you could say that I'd propose both in their own ways fused together.

Reactions: Nick
The way I see it, is more of a miniseries, that adapts the contents of Hamilton, the musical, to expand that of the two acts. But with the expansion, they'd integrate opportunities for dialogue and more natural scenes without the flow of a musical number.

And for songs added, it can range to some of the cut songs (let it go, and Cabinet Meeting 3 come to mind really quick). Along with new songs written by Lin directly, to have it stand out from the Broadway show in both live form, and in the pre-recorded forms.

So I guess, you could say that I'd propose both in their own ways fused together.

You would need the right director for a limited series/movie adaption as Hamilton is a very much a satire in which expanding it may cause it too take itself too seriously which adding more dialogue and natural scenes would effect the overall tone.

In regards to adding cut songs...making a musical takes years and they were cut from workshops and previews likely for a reason.

As well as theater and film being different medium, some of the songs like You'll be back, Right Hand Man, Satisified for example won't translate on screen as well Aaron Burr always breaking the 4th wall...

Nothing NEEDS a film adaptation. But if Disney paid $75M for the stage version, how much is someone gonna pay for a movie musical? Lin wants that money.
Disney actually did acquire the film rights when they paid the $75M. Assuming they see the success of this release it's almost inevitable that the mouse will go for a cash grab and make the movie version whether it works on page or not. Too much possible coin to be made and the rights are already theirs.

Reactions: Nick
Disney actually did acquire the film rights when they paid the $75M. Assuming they see the success of this release it's almost inevitable that the mouse will go for a cash grab and make the movie version whether it works on page or not. Too much possible coin to be made and the rights are already theirs.
Disney will do something to capitalize on it. My guess is some form of movie so Disney's record label can refresh the soundtrack with a new song or 2 and try to keep it evergreen and get money on it for years to come.

Reactions: Nick and JonsMovies
There’s virtually no coin to be made right now, even if you’re operating normally. You’ve got to give breathing room between the stage version and a film adaptation or theyll be hurting their investment. Once people have watched the Disney+ Hamilton 100 times and want something new, then there’s money to be made, but I still don’t think a movie will ever top what came out Friday (although if it does, sure give it to me).

Disney will do something to capitalize on it. My guess is some form of movie so Disney's record label can refresh the soundtrack with a new song or 2 and try to keep it evergreen and get money on it for years to come.
The reason for a new song would more be to win an Oscar for best song.

Last edited:
I believe there are only two real options here:
1. a cinema adaptation with significantly abstract/minimalist sets and a time-hop mechanic that would mirror the post-"Helpless" rewind (which also btw used to feature during "Ten Things, One Thing")
2. a mini-series adaptation with expanded (All characters except Hamilton and Burr) and additional roles (John Adams, Sally Hemings, etc.)

Both would need to better acknowledge the faults of the characters, which would require rewrites in either case. The most significant difficulty is going to be reconciling the set and the tone.

Given the right director and writer, either could work, but neither will occur for at least a decade anyway.

EDIT: This point has already been made. I thought I'd read everything, but there was still a page left. My b.

Last edited:
One has to wonder, with Disney owning the film rights and filmed stage recording on D+.. does the actual stage production of Hamilton get retroactively grandfathered into the Disney Theatrical Productions/Disney On Broadway brand? Or will the stage Hamilton still be independently produced away from Disney Theatrical?

One has to wonder, with Disney owning the film rights and filmed stage recording on D+.. does the actual stage production of Hamilton get retroactively grandfathered into the Disney Theatrical Productions/Disney On Broadway brand? Or will the stage Hamilton still be independently produced away from Disney Theatrical?

It does not. Hamilton on-stage remains its own thing.

No idea how reliable this website this is, but they are claiming that to fulfill contractual obligations, Hamilton will still be released on Blu-Ray/DVD in 2021. The director of this Thomas Kail has also expressed interest in a potential theatrical run sometime after theaters open.

I believe there are only two real options here:
1. a cinema adaptation with significantly abstract/minimalist sets and a time-hop mechanic that would mirror the post-"Helpless" rewind (which also btw used to feature during "Ten Things, One Thing")
A possibly controversial take, but I think the best way to do a cinema adaptation would be making it a hand drawn animated movie. Granted, I don't see Disney ever in a million years being involved in an R rated animated musical, even if it was labeled Fox. But there's a fluidity to animation that I think could really capture both the rhythm of the show and utilize abstract/minimalist settings to jump around in time and space. Think how Hellfire from Hunchback seamlessly transitions back and forth from a realistic setting to a completely abstract setting. And I don't think I'm the only one who thinks this would work, given the absurd number of animatics for the show there are on Youtube haha.

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Clive
A possibly controversial take, but I think the best way to do a cinema adaptation would be making it a hand drawn animated movie. Granted, I don't see Disney ever in a million years being involved in an R rated animated musical, even if it was labeled Fox. But there's a fluidity to animation that I think could really capture both the rhythm of the show and utilize abstract/minimalist settings to jump around in time and space. Think how Hellfire from Hunchback seamlessly transitions back and forth from a realistic setting to a completely abstract setting. And I don't think I'm the only one who thinks this would work, given the absurd number of animatics for the show there are on Youtube haha.

I know countless animatics have been done, but I simply cannot possibly imagine Hamilton as a animated movie. It would be beyond odd.

Count me as being "Satisfied" with what Disney released this year. I'd be fine if nothing Hamilton-related ever came out again as we have the definitive edition imo. Other attempts will always be compared and I think they will ultimately fail.

I know countless animatics have been done, but I simply cannot possibly imagine Hamilton as a animated movie. It would be beyond odd.

Count me as being "Satisfied" with what Disney released last year. I'd be fine if nothing Hamilton-related ever came out again as we have the definitive edition imo. Other attempts will always be compared and I think they will ultimately fail.
I agree. I think an abstract live-action version would ultimately be better received than an animated version.

I agree. I think an abstract live-action version would ultimately be better received than an animated version.
I just can't see how a live action adaptation could retain the abstract-ness in time and setting without being incredibly awkward and/or distracting. Even movies considered abstract like Lost Highway or Tetsuo have mostly concrete settings.

Reactions: belloq87