Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Hello Kitty Expansion Rumors

For just making sure, Universal doesn't own Cartoon Network. And from what it seems, DWA may have bigger plans for down south if rumors pan out.

If Hello Kitty comes in a larger format, I would assume that it'd be more on the larger Sanrio brand as opposed to one character.

Oh, I know. But I have a feeling that Cartoon Network might come into play soon.

Oh, I know. But I have a feeling that Cartoon Network might come into play soon.
They’d have to get Turner involved.

I’ve been tooting the Cartoon Network horn for a while (Cartoon Lagoon FTW). There is no indication it is anywhere close to occurring. Universal just launched Universal Kids for a reason.

Cartoon Network has been on a downfall lately, anyway. The only show they market or even air is Teen Titans Go, and that's already a complete no-go since it's DC.

If anything, I could see Nick getting more presence with SpongeBob being iconic and getting a 3rd theatrical movie soon, and the Loud House getting a theatrical movie in a few years.

I’d like to see Shrek 4D removed, and possibly a Hello Kitty indoor kiddie coaster built there (probably in a new building... they can also widen the street between Shrek and DM). With all the interactive games in the queue, plus M&G opportunities to do while waiting for the ride, it could work! Then, exit to the existing shop.

With the Woody coaster leaving, this would give the park a nice replacement (I know Nintendo Land is getting a coaster, but this would be a step below that). Also it would work a lot like the Snoopy coaster in Japan, just with less “activity space” inside the building. That also saves the Simpsons area for a Classic Horror/Universal Monsters Land that the park desperately needs!

I’d like to see Shrek 4D removed, and possibly a Hello Kitty indoor kiddie coaster built there (probably in a new building... they can also widen the street between Shrek and DM). With all the interactive games in the queue, plus M&G opportunities to do while waiting for the ride, it could work! Then, exit to the existing shop.

With the Woody coaster leaving, this would give the park a nice replacement (I know Nintendo Land is getting a coaster, but this would be a step below that). Also it would work a lot like the Snoopy coaster in Japan, just with less “activity space” inside the building. That also saves the Simpsons area for a Classic Horror/Universal Monsters Land that the park desperately needs!

A Universal Monsters land would never fit in that space, sadly. Plus, what would you base the rides on?

A Hello Kitty backpack appeared in the Fox movie Deadpool and a Hello Kitty Pez dispenser has appeared in the trailer for the Marvel movie Antman and the Wasp. Do you guys think that if Universal built a section about Hello Kitty without purchasing the Hello Kitty company, Disney might pull something similar to what happened with The Simpsons and purchase Hello Kitty?

A Hello Kitty backpack appeared in the Fox movie Deadpool and a Hello Kitty Pez dispenser has appeared in the trailer for the Marvel movie Antman and the Wasp. Do you guys think that if Universal built a section about Hello Kitty without purchasing the Hello Kitty company, Disney might pull something similar to what happened with The Simpsons and purchase Hello Kitty?

To be fair, Deadpool was released in 2016, about nearly 2 years before the accquisition rumors picked up speed. And that, Hello Kitty is a worldwide brand, that I would imagine would be harder to obtain due to that Sanrio is the full owner of the rights.

Well it looks like Sanrio is trying to branch out with netflix...could we see a heavy metal theme park show with cute elements?

It's not exactly the most kid friendly of Sanrio properties..that doesn't mean it's hilarious though.

I think the usual suspects for a Sanrio land would be Hello Kitty, Chococat, Kero Kero Keroppi, My Melody, Bad Badtz-Maru, and one or two of the others.

Trust me, I would love a screaming Erica Mendez character anyday, but that I don't see it as something that would make sense for a ride.

It's not exactly the most kid friendly of Sanrio properties..that doesn't mean it's hilarious though.

I think the usual suspects for a Sanrio land would be Hello Kitty, Chococat, Kero Kero Keroppi, My Melody, Bad Badtz-Maru, and one or two of the others.

Trust me, I would love a screaming Erica Mendez character anyday, but that I don't see it as something that would make sense for a ride.

I mean wouldn't that be part of the reason why they would do it? For most males, Hello Kitty and friends is like poison for their souls. Add something kinda dark about a red panda who is nice by day be is a heavy metal artist by night than, you have something that may draw them in through humor.

I mean wouldn't that be part of the reason why they would do it? For most males, Hello Kitty and friends is like poison for their souls. Add something kinda dark about a red panda who is nice by day be is a heavy metal artist by night than, you have something that may draw them in through humor.

Who's to say that whatever Sanrio brings doesn't have to specifically be boy-related?

It's seeming to be going to South now, which is rumored to have DWA, Nintendo, and Lord of The Rings (if they locked it). There are a lot of male IP's there, and that I would honestly get why they would want to balance it out.

That's where Badz Maru (boy-ish penguin) and the soccer-playing puppy come in.

and just to add onto this point, I’ve heard it’s possible that the Hello Kitty store may be on the block.

Bringing this up here, might this be..possibly related? Or has Hello Kitty/Sanrio's small presence been more of a detriment to see actual development?

I'm here still rooting for Kidzone to get a makeover like what USJ has, but even I'm a realist when I know it probably wouldn't be taken seriously.

Bringing this up here, might this be..possibly related? Or has Hello Kitty/Sanrio's small presence been more of a detriment to see actual development?

I'm here still rooting for Kidzone to get a makeover like what USJ has, but even I'm a realist when I know it probably wouldn't be taken seriously.

It’s far more popular in Hollywood, where there is a larger quotient of Asian tourists. With that said, traffic is still relatively light there. This doesn’t surprise me at all.

Just my opinion, after dozens of trips into the Hello Kitty store....Hello Kitty is more an afterthought in Orlando than anything near a success. The dead store sure wouldn't encourage Universal to build a Kid Zone attraction. If the store was a test, Hello Kitty failed miserably.