Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN '19: Curse of Pandora's Box

A more..proper description via Murdy:

Some doors are never meant to be opened… At the end of a dark and desolate street lies a rundown storefront. It looks like a relic from another time and place…something you might have found in a seedy, back alley in Victorian London...and yet this shop exists in the middle of this modern city…beckoning to us to step inside. The name above the door reads, “Pandora’s Cabinet of Curiosities".

Stepping inside we discover a bizarre shop, filled to the rafters with every kind of occultist artifact and forbidden relic known to man. A collection of evil trapped behind glass cabinets…waiting for someone to set it free....No one seems to be minding the store…in fact, we’re quite alone…that is except for a strangely seductive, female voice who tells us, “Anything can be acquired…anything our hearts desire…

At the far end of the shop is a giant, ornate box inlaid with human bones. The most striking feature of this mysterious box is the form of a woman with skeletal arms clasping around her body…as if they were trying to restrain her! The voice beckons to us again...."Come inside!

Welcome to “The Curse of Pandora’s Box” a terrifying new original maze that transports us from the land of the living into the nightmarish netherworld of Hades, populated by fearsome monsters inspired by Greek Mythology! Get ready for a trip through a nightmarish Netherworld where the demonic temptress Pandora serves as your guide! Once the box is opened…and evil has been unleashed…it can never be closed again!

Murdy will likely have a Q&A in a few minutes, so keep an eye on this thread for the answers. That said, I am immensely interested to see how they handle the design of Pandora, as they could portray her in a grotesque manner; considering she was the first human woman created by the god of Hephaestus

A bit curious as to why you feel that way as the line up sounds very strong. This is the first time since 2016 that I actually feel very excited about the event.
Sorry I ment for this maze...and also house of 1,000 Corpses which just don't speak to me at all....when well we have much bigger IP's or idea's I think should have been added to Horror Nights (cough Cough Video Game IP's that are much scarier than movies like Dead Space, Resident Evil, something to tie in with the Blair witch game, etc)

Sorry I ment for this maze...and also house of 1,000 Corpses which just don't speak to me at all....when well we have much bigger IP's or idea's I think should have been added to Horror Nights (cough Cough Video Game IP's that are much scarier than movies like Dead Space, Resident Evil, something to tie in with the Blair witch game, etc)

HHN ain’t doing anything with video game IP’s in the long term. Either coast honestly.

1. Dead Space is a dead IP, with the original developer company dead
2. I believe Hollywood when Orlando had worked a deal with Capcom for RE back in 23, rejected the notion of bringing it to the west coast
3. Video Game IP's are more lucrative, as not everyone will be able to have knowledge of those subjects used in the games

Original content, is something this event has needed for a long time. And with Holidayz and Pandora seemingly having great concepts, it makes me excited to see what they could do for the future.

Hmm, UV lighting, not sure how I feel about that.

Alice Goes to Hell was a very pretty maze, so I'm not gonna give up hope just yet. But I'm now expecting those darn dot walls to show up again.

Gives me a little bit of caution, but ACGtH was a great use of the UV lighting.

UV lighting? Uuuuugggghhhhhh I’ve gone from super excited to cautiously optimistic. I really hope they get creative with this and doesn’t turn into an excuse for budget cuts.

I guess if they take the Dead Exposure route, this could be interesting. I just hope to see some detailed set pieces like some Ancient Greek ruins.

UV lighting? Uuuuugggghhhhhh I’ve gone from super excited to cautiously optimistic. I really hope they get creative with this and doesn’t turn into an excuse for budget cuts.

I guess if they take the Dead Exposure route, this could be interesting. I just hope to see some detailed set pieces like some Ancient Greek ruins.

I mean, it's the netherworld, so I can see it working. Will likely come down to the execution of scares - I imagine this'll be more a scare-oriented maze versus a showy one.

Q&A Info:
- There wasn't a Original score created for this maze
- "Some specific characters are referenced and places like Hades, etc" in response to "Will the Greek mythological influence on this maze be significant in its scenic and creature design or will it mostly be a jumping off point for the story?"
- There is in a scene with Hades in it.
- "Learned a lot from the 3D mazes and employing some of those ideas (and new ones). Basically lighting and UV technology to see how far we can take it but it’s not lit like a 3D maze. Much darker" in response to "Will the UV make the maze look like a 3D maze (minus the glasses) or can we expect it to highlight the sets and characters?"
"-The beginning isn’t UV. Once you enter the box it’s a UV maze"
- "No...but other things" in response to "Since we’re going to see Greek mythology stuff, we going to see a Minotaur?"
- "Combination of different things" in response to "Will this house still be mostly scare actors or jump scares based on tech?"
- "The Netherworld/Hades/Underworld will be a part of it"
- There is no reference to Medusa
- This is a Chris William's idea

Last edited:
Learned a lot from the 3D mazes and employing some of those ideas (and new ones). Basically lighting and UV technology to see how far we can take it but it’s not lit like a 3D maze. Much darker

Huh. This is the one that interests me, it sounds like it'll just be lit dark, like a regular maze, just with UV instead of regular lights. Kind of a cool idea, actually.

EDIT: @HHNManics I think he said "Wait and See" for Medusa, and that he was saying this wasn't the female icon house they were talking about.

Last edited:
The UV talk has me a little worried, as it could very well end up a full maze that just looks like the ending of Black Sabbath or This is the End, hoping it doesn't go like that.

I posted saying we'd need more original content in Hollywood and Murdy responded "we'll see how they do". Again, if these get high guest satisfaction we could possibly see multiple original IPs every year.

If both original mazes do well this year (honestly not expecting either to be rated the best for 2019 however), I can definitely see them potentially increasing the amount of original mazes next year. Not like Orlando's which seems to be an even 5/5 split between IP-based and original concept, but at most maybe 4 for Hollywood 2020. Especially since we're already starting to hit the wall in terms of what popular IP's we can obtain the rights to for the event. I honestly do hope HiH and CoPB both are well-received.

If both original mazes do well this year (honestly not expecting either to be rated the best for 2019 however), I can definitely see them potentially increasing the amount of original mazes next year. Not like Orlando's which seems to be an even 5/5 split between IP-based and original concept, but at most maybe 4 for Hollywood 2020. Especially since we're already starting to hit the wall in terms of what popular IP's we can obtain the rights to for the event. I honestly do hope HiH and CoPB both are well-received.

I think for the forseeable future we're gonna see the number of Originals capped at 3. Hollywood still has The Walking Dead attraction, so 3 originals means 6 IP mazes, about what we've come to expect from Hollywood in recent years.

1. Dead Space is a dead IP, with the original developer company dead
2. I believe Hollywood when Orlando had worked a deal with Capcom for RE back in 23, rejected the notion of bringing it to the west coast
3. Video Game IP's are more lucrative, as not everyone will be able to have knowledge of those subjects used in the games

Original content, is something this event has needed for a long time. And with Holidayz and Pandora seemingly having great concepts, it makes me excited to see what they could do for the future.

Gives me a little bit of caution, but ACGtH was a great use of the UV lighting.
Then It shouldn't matter. If you can can just make up what ever why is that better than a "dead" IP that I bet would be scarier.
I doubt the public even knows most the mazes when I started to go to the events I only saw the Saw films and was mainly going for that maze, I saw the reboot of Nightmare on elm street but most films they did I had little to no knowledge of but became a fan from going to said mazes.

Blairwitch (which is both a game coming out and a movie series) to me is a perfect mix of her is something you can play if you say you like scary things and most people based off the name alone would go in the maze based off a new game or not.
I also think they should just push more for a media that brings in way more than movies at this point and has pretty big horror settings.

Like House of 1,000 Corpses I bet you anything less than 10 Percent of the people go even know its a film let alone see it.

As someone who just loves media in general (Movies, Anime, TV shows, Video Games and Books) I just would like them to try more things. Which yes Original IP's are cool and guess its more or less how they did the trailer for the maze that made me say meh, the thread has my hype up more for the maze because Universal just didn't really do to much to spark my imagination with its announcement

Then It shouldn't matter. If you can can just make up what ever why is that better than a "dead" IP that I bet would be scarier.
I doubt the public even knows most the mazes when I started to go to the events I only saw the Saw films and was mainly going for that maze, I saw the reboot of Nightmare on elm street but most films they did I had little to no knowledge of but became a fan from going to said mazes.

Blairwitch (which is both a game coming out and a movie series) to me is a perfect mix of her is something you can play if you say you like scary things and most people based off the name alone would go in the maze based off a new game or not.
I also think they should just push more for a media that brings in way more than movies at this point and has pretty big horror settings.

Like House of 1,000 Corpses I bet you anything less than 10 Percent of the people go even know its a film let alone see it.

As someone who just loves media in general (Movies, Anime, TV shows, Video Games and Books) I just would like them to try more things. Which yes Original IP's are cool and guess its more or less how they did the trailer for the maze that made me say meh, the thread has my hype up more for the maze because Universal just didn't really do to much to spark my imagination with its announcement
I mean something like dead space costs money to license, while an original doesnt cost anything to license, so if its a choice between an original or a "dead" ip, the original is a much cheaper option, that will likely do just as well.

I mean something like dead space costs money to license, while an original doesnt cost anything to license, so if its a choice between an original or a "dead" ip, the original is a much cheaper option, that will likely do just as well.
Sure, I get that end of it

I'm also going to put out there something like dead Space done right would blow away most people and get high reviews and people wanting more mazes like that. The Creatures and set designs from many games in my humble opinion are just top notch to get people fearful.

The UV talk has me a little worried, as it could very well end up a full maze that just looks like the ending of Black Sabbath or This is the End, hoping it doesn't go like that.

I don't think it will be that bright. I would think more along the lines of the Invisible Man scene from UCM.