Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 24: Alien vs. Predator

Why are we comparing IP's that haven't been experienced to past years?

The IP's ultimately are irrelevant if the house is executed greatly.

I like the IPs because I can get the back story before I walk through. I go with a group of folks and we have several viewing nights to get ready for HNN. I wasn't comparing houses, just the IPs themselves and the excitement around them.

But you are right, knowing and loving an IP could lead to a bigger let down. I really liked the CitW movie and couldnt wait for the mermaid, but was kinda let down by it. Still was a great house, but the mermaid was just funny.

Not me. :lol: I don't get scared. I look for the atmosphere, themeing, fun, sounds, intensity, costuming.. all that jazz.

And I hated Afterlife.. :lol:

That HOS video of you was hilarious!!! I have no idea how you do it, I'm scared of my own shadow when it comes to haunted houses, the eye squint technique really helps :lol:. But anyways I guess I just have to get more in touch with the IPs to become familiar with them meaning I have a ton of re watching to do. I realized with Cabin and AWIL last year that watching the movies beforehand really helps you appreciate the details witch is a plus for IPs in my book

To P&T's credit, they started out a lot gorier in the 80s; e.g. Teller taking a knife through the hand to reveal a card. Their dark humor should have made an awesome comedy house--as a huge P&T mark for decades, that was my biggest disappointment ever at HHN. Similarly, I'm apparently a bit of an Alice Cooper apologist, and even I thought the house could have been. (Tho for the record, that man defined horror in the 1970s.) Meanwhile, still never saw that Mary Shaw movie, but remember the house vividly. Said it a hundred times, but execution is more important than IP.

the Alice house and the Penn and Teller house were pretty miserable experiences for me, I really hated those two. I tried to like them but the more I went in them the more my hate grew.

now I just try to erase it from my memory

Afterlife was a really good house... until you passed the electric chair room. After that, the house kind of just became a confused hodgepodge of 3d effects and didn't feel very cohesive. The person with the hole in their chest was pretty cool though.

that is an excellent way to put it. For me Afterlife was a pretty bad house to do, I loved the entrance, I loved the facade, I loved the first room, then the house became a mess.
just like with Alice and P&T the more I tried to like it the more it made me mad. They should have made it just a regular house and take out the 3d Part

Same here, I don't get scared very often. Mostly go to HHN for the same reasons BriMan listed and also adding watching people get scared.

Afterlife was a really good house... until you passed the electric chair room. After that, the house kind of just became a confused hodgepodge of 3d effects and didn't feel very cohesive. The person with the hole in their chest was pretty cool though.

I think I got startles once last year, in the AWIL movie theater I think.
Funny thing, I liked Afterlife precisely because it was just a chaotic mess, that is why I found it a good example of horror because it caused displacement.

I think I got startles once last year, in the AWIL movie theater I think.
Funny thing, I liked Afterlife precisely because it was just a chaotic mess, that is why I found it a good example of horror because it caused displacement.

It definitely did cause displacement, I just couldn't really understand how most of the scenes were tied back to the original theme of the house. All I could really think of was Beetlejuice meets the demons from In Between. I personally feel that the 3d houses tend to lend themselves more towards a comedy.

It definitely did cause displacement, I just couldn't really understand how most of the scenes were tied back to the original theme of the house. All I could really think of was Beetlejuice meets the demons from In Between. I personally feel that the 3d houses tend to lend themselves more towards a comedy.

to be honest all 3D houses are starting to feel the same to me, when I think of the last 3 we have had, they all become a big blur or neon walls.
specially afterlife and In Between.
Almost feels like the same house in my mind.

Last edited:
P&T was a pretty good house, and In Between pulled off some really amazing things. I just felt that Afterlife wasn't able to achieve anything they really set out to do. Some of the props and costumes were really detailed, but in the blurry mess that it was I couldn't see much of it.

Interesting argument you guys are having. I HATE horror flicks. Don't watch them and have no desire to. Yet I love HHN. I love Halloween in general. So for me, I could care less what the IP is and only care how good the house is. Like others I don't scare easy in a house, I am looking at the scenes, effects, costumes, etc. That part fascinates me and I love to decorate our house for Halloween. Spooky music, fog, lights, etc. So of course seeing the pros do this is fun for me.

I imagine that there is a good % of people that go to HHN that have never seen the IP of the house they are going into, it only matters how the house turns out, not the IP selected. The IPs are selected to get people that are fans of those IP to go to HHN that have never been to HHN or were not planning to go that year. That is all the IPs are for, the IP itself (how good or bad it is) doesn't actually correlate with the quality of the house. My husband LOVES walking dead (as do many others), he hated the house. the best part of the whole house was when we walked out there was a horde of zombies "blocking" our way. So we had to go thru them, it was cool. Last year he liked the house a little more than the first year, but he liked other houses that he never even saw the IP tied to it prior to HHN.

Interesting argument you guys are having. I HATE horror flicks. Don't watch them and have no desire to. Yet I love HHN. I love Halloween in general. So for me, I could care less what the IP is and only care how good the house is. Like others I don't scare easy in a house, I am looking at the scenes, effects, costumes, etc. That part fascinates me and I love to decorate our house for Halloween. Spooky music, fog, lights, etc. So of course seeing the pros do this is fun for me.

I imagine that there is a good % of people that go to HHN that have never seen the IP of the house they are going into, it only matters how the house turns out, not the IP selected. The IPs are selected to get people that are fans of those IP to go to HHN that have never been to HHN or were not planning to go that year. That is all the IPs are for, the IP itself (how good or bad it is) doesn't actually correlate with the quality of the house. My husband LOVES walking dead (as do many others), he hated the house. the best part of the whole house was when we walked out there was a horde of zombies "blocking" our way. So we had to go thru them, it was cool. Last year he liked the house a little more than the first year, but he liked other houses that he never even saw the IP tied to it prior to HHN.

what makes you hate them? is it something specific? is it all horror movies?

what makes you hate them? is it something specific? is it all horror movies?

Yep all horror. My sister was 6 years older than me and I was exposed to them at a way too young age. I had nightmares and other things and so the memory of these types of movies is not good. Therefore it is not a genre I care to watch. Now I will watch a Walking Dead episode here and there, but to me that is not horror. I am interested in how they became zombies. I do like SciFi type movies.

Yep all horror. My sister was 6 years older than me and I was exposed to them at a way too young age. I had nightmares and other things and so the memory of these types of movies is not good. Therefore it is not a genre I care to watch. Now I will watch a Walking Dead episode here and there, but to me that is not horror. I am interested in how they became zombies. I do like SciFi type movies.

Oh I understand. I do find it funny that you don't get scared at hhn lol

Oh I understand. I do find it funny that you don't get scared at hhn lol

Never scared, because I know it is fake and I am fascinated with the props, costumes, effects, etc. I get startled here and there, probably about 3 or 4 times a night. But I am also the one that they tend to go after, especially last year when I was with a group of pretty much all guys. Also, I laugh at them at times when they don't catch me off guard and that makes them go after me too. I had one guy a couple years ago go thru the whole house trying to "get" me.

Not sure why horror flicks freak me out, but HHN is no big deal.

Never scared, because I know it is fake and I am fascinated with the props, costumes, effects, etc. I get startled here and there, probably about 3 or 4 times a night. But I am also the one that they tend to go after, especially last year when I was with a group of pretty much all guys. Also, I laugh at them at times when they don't catch me off guard and that makes them go after me too. I had one guy a couple years ago go thru the whole house trying to "get" me.

Not sure why horror flicks freak me out, but HHN is no big deal.

I wonder if you had to do the houses all alone if it would scare you, like no line or anything

I wonder if you had to do the houses all alone if it would scare you, like no line or anything

Nah, I wish I could do the house that way. We actually got pretty separated at one point in one of the houses the first night because it was at the end of the night and they still have the "pillows" working. So when you got out of them you couldn't see the person in front of you. It didn't really bother me. Freaked my husband out though and because he said, "Hello?" when he got out and saw no one in front of him the scare actors went crazy on him. He said it was the best house ever lol

Possible last scene of house?

WARNING SPOILERS FOR HOLLYWOOD AHEAD!!!!
Ok so after watching a bit of hollywoods videos from last nights I can see what we could be getting for our AVP maze. Face huggers look to be handpuppets that actors slam against the glass and the aliens look to be fully body la llorona style puppets with a few AWIL style ones in between. Granted they have a lower budget and we are getting an entirely different surrounding area all together but I think it's still worth noting down