Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 28: Killer Klownz from Outer Space

I wouldn't say it's a large area, but certainly long. Just think that by the time you get beer carts in there mixed with people exiting/waiting for AOV it gets tight. It's always been a bit of a clustercuss in previous years.
I don’t think the people waiting for AoV should make almost half of the park feel as empty as it does, carts can be easily moved out of the way especially now that pretty much all of San Fran will be empty.

The area in front of F&F
Area in front of MIB/Fear factor

And these next ones might have problems with messing up theming during the day, but I still think could work well:

KidZone
Springfield
London

I hope this helps clear some things up for you.

The area from Fear Factor to MIB can not be used due to crowd levels. It can become a real hazard to have scareactors in that area and the paths are just not wide enough to handle a scarezone. That small section of park has to handle the entrances of 3 houses, the exits of 3 houses, the entrance and exit of MIB, the crowds trying to get in and out of the FF Stage, and a beer cart (which could be moved I guess). There used to be a time when roaming hordes would be located there but it just became to unsafe as the event grew. Just look at San Fran, the past 2 years there where many nights when they had to pull the scareactors off the streets or tell them to stand to the sides because it just became to hazardous to be scaring people.

As for the other areas:
KidZone- This one could be used if they wanted but it's also a bit of a dead end in the park.
Springfield- Can be "used" for HHN but can't have set pieces. Which is why it's usually just a hoard there and never officially listed on the map.
London- Can't be used at all during the event. JK wants nothing to do with HHN. Heck, they even got in trouble just for having red lights on the facades. (This one is a real shame because they could do some awesome zones there)

On topic though, I think using South Street for a zone is a great idea. You've got a street not widely traveled, larger sidewalks, and access to Sting Alley.

The area from Fear Factor to MIB can not be used due to crowd levels. It can become a real hazard to have scareactors in that area and the paths are just not wide enough to handle a scarezone. That small section of park has to handle the entrances of 3 houses, the exits of 3 houses, the entrance and exit of MIB, the crowds trying to get in and out of the FF Stage, and a beer cart (which could be moved I guess). There used to be a time when roaming hordes would be located there but it just became to unsafe as the event grew. Just look at San Fran, the past 2 years there where many nights when they had to pull the scareactors off the streets or tell them to stand to the sides because it just became to hazardous to be scaring people.

As for the other areas:
KidZone- This one could be used if they wanted but it's also a bit of a dead end in the park.
Springfield- Can be "used" for HHN but can't have set pieces. Which is why it's usually just a hoard there and never officially listed on the map.
London- Can't be used at all during the event. JK wants nothing to do with HHN. Heck, they even got in trouble just for having red lights on the facades. (This one is a real shame because they could do some awesome zones there)

On topic though, I think using South Street for a zone is a great idea. You've got a street not widely traveled, larger sidewalks, and access to Sting Alley.

They’ve used Kid Zone before. They can use it again. The area in front of F&F, combined with South Street, is another possibility. I do like that they’re experimenting with locations. :)

As for the other areas:

Thanks for the info! I honestly don’t know too much about the park’s locations, so this was very informative.

I disagree that KidZone is a dead end during HHN, as multiple house entrances have been located in it.

Do you think that the area in front of F&F or the area between London and FFL could be used? If there are any reasons not, please let me know. I appreciate your response.

Thanks for the info! I honestly don’t know too much about the park’s locations, so this was very informative.

I disagree that KidZone is a dead end during HHN, as multiple house entrances have been located in it.

Do you think that the area in front of F&F or the area between London and FFL could be used? If there are any reasons not, please let me know. I appreciate your response.

I think he means dead end from a guest flow perspective as people looking to just see the zones would tie up traffic with those entering/exiting the houses. Having more than one way in and out of a zone is important to keep things moving. Also, the past scare zones in Kidzone were really more on the outskirts where the circle is down to the AA stage (these zones were very small)

The area in front of FFL is narrow and not great for props. Crowd flow is also a bear around there as they have to structure the tent entrance/exit with the show entrance/exit

The area in front of F&F could work, but with South Street being used it is less likely. That fact combined with the ride entrance, eateries, and me not believing it is that much wider than the old SF zones makes me believe there is no purpose in using that area

Edit - I do think actors from the South Street zone could move as far up as F&F without causing too much trouble/congestion, but I do not think there can be great set pieces

The area in front of FFL is narrow and not great for props. Crowd flow is also a bear around there as they have to structure the tent entrance/exit with the show entrance/exit

The area in front of F&F could work, but with South Street being used it is less likely. That fact combined with the ride entrance, eateries, and me not believing it is that much wider than the old SF zones makes me believe there is no purpose in using that area

Edit - I do think actors from the South Street zone could move as far up as F&F without causing too much trouble/congestion, but I do not think there can be great set pieces
I don’t mean the area in front of FFL, I mean the area to the side of the restrooms just outside of London.

Also, the area in front of F&F is HUGE, and it being a ride entrance never stopped San Fran from having great setpieces.

I don’t mean the area in front of FFL, I mean the area to the side of the restrooms just outside of London.

Also, the area in front of F&F is HUGE, and it being a ride entrance never stopped San Fran from having great setpieces.

I was actually referring to that path next to the restrooms by FFL with my comment. The crowd flow around there is just not conducive to a zone thanks to the show considerations and their strange guest routing

The area in front of SF is large, but I just do not see it as a full zone with sets. The fact that the old SF had large set pieces was actually part of its issue and caused so much congestion. I think they moved things to South Street to try to break that, so I do not see them moving back unless the location and crowd flow of the KKfOS zone ends up being a bigger issue than Invasion and Dead Man’s Wharf

The area in front of SF is large, but I just do not see it as a full zone with sets. The fact that the old SF had large set pieces was actually part of its issue and caused so much congestion. I think they moved things to South Street to try to break that, so I do not see them moving back unless the location and crowd flow of the KKfOS zone ends up being a bigger issue than Invasion and Dead Man’s Wharf
So the large sets on the tiny streets caused problems, and the solution was to move the zone to a similar street just on the parade route so there can’t be any large sets at all? :lol:

Or is South street significantly larger than SF?

So the large sets on the tiny streets caused problems, and the solution was to move the zone to a similar street just on the parade route so there can’t be any large sets at all? :lol:

Or is South street significantly larger than SF?

South Street is probably around the same size or a bit bigger than SF, but it is less of a main thoroughfare. The disadvantage to SF was that you HAD to walk that way to get to certain areas of the park unless you wanted to go way out of the way. I waited in a 15 minute jam in SF in Dead Man’s Wharf just trying to get from point A to B so I will not miss it as a zone. Heck, last year they tried to funnel people to one side or the other just to keep things moving, which is not something usually done around scare zones

South Street is probably around the same size or a bit bigger than SF, but it is less of a main thoroughfare. The disadvantage to SF was that you HAD to walk that way to get to certain areas of the park unless you wanted to go way out of the way. I waited in a 15 minute jam in SF in Dead Man’s Wharf just trying to get from point A to B so I will not miss it as a zone. Heck, last year they tried to funnel people to one side or the other just to keep things moving, which is not something usually done around scare zones
Isn’t this the same case as Central Park? Why is that space still used for a zone but SF isn’t?

(BTW I appreciate the info on crowd flow, I’m not too familiar with the park’s design, so a lot of this is very interesting to me, thanks :thumbsup:)

I think he means dead end from a guest flow perspective as people looking to just see the zones would tie up traffic with those entering/exiting the houses. Having more than one way in and out of a zone is important to keep things moving

Exactly.

Isn’t this the same case as Central Park? Why is that space still used for a zone but SF isn’t?
(BTW I appreciate the info on crowd flow, I’m not too familiar with the park’s design, so a lot of this is very interesting to me, thanks :thumbsup:)

Central Park has the blessing of space and the ability to bypass the zone by walking through the actual park.

Thanks for the info y'all, in conclusion I now see how little other zones they can actually use that aren't on the parade route, which is a shame. I just have a few things I'd like to happen.
  1. Use Shrek Alley instead of the space the've been using in Production central, that zone is always terrible because of the bottleneck.
  2. Use the area around F&F's entrance next year if South Street doesn't go well.
  3. Find literally any way to get something interesting between NY and the FFL stadium, that area is going to feel extremely barren this year if literally nothing is there but some food carts. Possibly a zone on the bypass path next to London? Not sure if that is considered inside "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: London" or not.

Hot take that I'm surprised no one has talked about yet: depending on how accurate these costumes are, the Killer Klowns look too much like mascots and I'm 99% will probably be subject to a lot of abuse from guests.

Let's see how HHN handles the alcohol situation this year.

Hot take that I'm surprised no one has talked about yet: depending on how accurate these costumes are, the Killer Klowns look too much like mascots and I'm 99% will probably be subject to a lot of abuse from guests.

Let's see how HHN handles the alcohol situation this year.
Elevated stages?