Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 29: Depths of Fear

Ok, but what's next? Someone will inevitably demand something else that's on the intense side to get removed (the guy getting his ribs torn out in CP). What precedent would that set?

Pretty sure they've had Toto get the (literal) axe in a Scary Tales house as well. We would've likely gotten Conjuring by now if either the Warren lawsuit or HMH hadn't happened--that contains the death of a dog.

Raising a criticism about a scare in a house isn't trying to silence or remove something. Hell, the people pointing it out were kinda "eh I dunno, this just feels wrong". There's a difference between "I'm a fan of this event and this doesn't seem right" and the creators reconsidering something versus someone waging a bad faith campaign against something.

Which brings me to my next point: this is by far the mildest controversy in HHN history so far. How about the Purge talking character, Bill & Ted, or the Salvation Army sign in Hollywood over the past handful of years? Even Orlando had their fun run in with people complaining about the Obama and Romeny rap battle in 2012. This is nothing new and hasn't affected the event in the end.

Raising a criticism about a scare in a house isn't trying to silence or remove something. Hell, the people pointing it out were kinda "eh I dunno, this just feels wrong". There's a difference between "I'm a fan of this event and this doesn't seem right" and the creators reconsidering something versus someone waging a bad faith campaign against something.

Which brings me to my next point: this is by far the mildest controversy in HHN history so far. How about the Purge talking character, Bill & Ted, or the Salvation Army sign in Hollywood over the past handful of years? Even Orlando had their fun run in with people complaining about the Obama and Romeny rap battle in 2012. This is nothing new and hasn't affected the event in the end.

You make a good point.

Don't get me wrong, there are DEFINITELY boundaries they shouldn't cross (which is why Nightingales probably isn't the most sustainable franchise). But there should absolutely be some things that are on the edges of good taste. Straying on the edge of boundaries has always been one of my favorite things about HHN. I definitely think it's okay to have things like GB and ST--both have a very Halloween-y vibe, after all. But it needs to be properly balanced with things that are edgy.

I apologize for my overreaction earlier, everyone.

Last edited:
You make a good point.

Don't get me wrong, there are DEFINITELY boundaries they shouldn't cross (which is why Nightingales probably isn't the most sustainable franchise). But there should absolutely be some things that are on the edges of good taste. Straying on the edge of boundaries has always been one of my favorite things about HHN. I definitely think it's okay to have things like GB and ST--both have a very Halloween-y vibe, after all. But it needs to be properly balanced with things that are edgy.

I apologize for my overreaction earlier, everyone.

No problem dude, we're all learning how to do this thing every day. :lol:

It's not that. It's fish man, host, fish man, host, fish man, mutilated bodies cuz fish man, fish man, DOG CHOPPED IN HALF CUZ DOOR, fish man.

Imagine at the climax of Alien, they showed the cat dead in a way unrelated to the threat? That's the critique.

Or maybe that’s an unreasonable level of over-analysis for what was clearly just a prop to show that the fish killed a dog. To be upset over a dead animal and nitpicking the minutia over how it makes sense within the story of the house is overkill in my opinion.

Or maybe that’s an unreasonable level of over-analysis for what was clearly just a prop to show that the fish killed a dog. To be upset over a dead animal and nitpicking the minutia over how it makes sense within the story of the house is overkill in my opinion.

Jesus, why is everyone picking and choosing the point?

First off, the fish didn't kill the dog. The dog's death has nothing to do with the threat of the house.

You're going through a house full of fishmen and possessed workers, and then right near the finale, there's half a dog (that is briefly teased/mentioned by some random easter egg level photos) that is killed by a door closing on him. It's just a jarring, unexpected visual.

That Obama-Romney rap battle was so fun at the time. B&T could never touch Trump today without controversy if it was still around. The country’s too divided.

Wasn't something like this featured in the Halloween 4 maze? That dog was dead but from my searches on twitter relating to that year..no one was freaking out?
I guess people give it more leeway since it's an IP and makes it more accurate to the movie, while with an original it doesn't technically add much, outside of being disturbing and upsetting, I assume purposefully.