HHN 30: Employee Preview Thread | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 30: Employee Preview Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
*glances at Nightmaze*
That’s my go to low bar as well

Apart from the 30 years zone, the zones look fine, honestly

My personal favorite style of zones are the interactive ones like Shadybrook at 25, Vamp 55, Twisted Traditions, Chucky, or Vanity Ball being my recent examples. Based on the fact that the pandemic is still a factor, I am already tempering my expectations on getting anything approaching that level this year

I am sure the actors will get better with time, too, as that is often the case

People seem to forget that HHN is a fluid event. A lot of houses and zones can improve or get worse as the event goes along.

This goes for zones in particular. I think the biggest changes that I've seen from early season to later (when we normally go), are in scarzones. Heck. I've even seen fairly large changes from Sunday to the next event on a Wednesday.

That’s my go to low bar as well

Apart from the 30 years zone, the zones look fine, honestly

My personal favorite style of zones are the interactive ones like Shadybrook at 25, Vamp 55, Twisted Traditions, Chucky, or Vanity Ball being my recent examples. Based on the fact that the pandemic is still a factor, I am already tempering my expectations on getting anything approaching that level this year

I am sure the actors will get better with time, too, as that is often the case

Yeah not all zones have to be scary to be fun. I had a blast with Chucky and Vanity Ball just hanging out and watching the performers

I think the zones will benefit from the casts having more time in them and figuring things out. Even Seek and Destroy, which has been largely derided, managed to connect with some.
Honestly, the coolest time to be around Seek & Destroy is during a cast change. It's like watching a procession of storm troopers march together every cast change and, unlike the 45 minutes when they're out there, they actually interact with you on a decent level on their march out. I hung around this zone quite a bit and besides that, there wasn't much cool going on.

Exactly why universal removed the comp pass for TM previews: it was used by media, vloggers, etc for event “reviews” so they could be first.
Also, a crap ton of people got fired by getting hammered with their invited friends. We rarely see those types of things now.

Beyond that, it's just a more pleasant event for TM's to go to (less crowds) and better for the Scareactors who are on their first night with a real test. Could be why I saw so many holes - that was their night to pull people from the house and fix anything the actors may have been complaining about.

Last edited:
Yes, let's judge based on a video from technical rehearsals.
well yeah but,
the theme is the theme and the props are the props. I only mentioned the themes.
unless more props are added or something. it is what it is. but for being the 30th anniversary. it doesn't feel like it. the zones in 2010 and 2015 were nicer

I'm fiending for more info on TCM. Unpopular opinion or whatever, but the 26 house is a top favorite. I really loved how they made use of the cramped quarters of the tent and found the whole thing disturbingly beautiful and even unsettling--something I typically don't experience in a HHN house. Rather than trying to create more environments from the film, it felt like being in a prolonged version of the final sequence of escape from the house and I couldn't get enough.

Anyway! I'm baffled since the design team really seemed to be hyping this one, and so far the responses I've seen from preview night seem to indicate extreme underwhelm at best. Where's the disconnect? Maybe it's just Leatherface fatigue?

I'm fiending for more info on TCM. Unpopular opinion or whatever, but the 26 house is a top favorite. I really loved how they made use of the cramped quarters of the tent and found the whole thing disturbingly beautiful and even unsettling--something I typically don't experience in a HHN house. Rather than trying to create more environments from the film, it felt like being in a prolonged version of the final sequence of escape from the house and I couldn't get enough.

Anyway! I'm baffled since the design team really seemed to be hyping this one, and so far the responses I've seen from preview night seem to indicate extreme underwhelm at best. Where's the disconnect? Maybe it's just Leatherface fatigue?
I’ve seen quite a few people praising it but you’re right, there’s also some people that gave it a meh rating. Definitely mixed opinions all around so far.

Well, with due respect to the design team, their response to a house is probably gonna be biased considering the amount of work they would’ve put into it. It would be more shocking if one of them came out and said it sucked.

I heard some good things about TCM though and honestly ended preview night a bit more excited for it.

Well, with due respect to the design team, their response to a house is probably gonna be biased considering the amount of work they would’ve put into it. It would be more shocking if one of them came out and said it sucked.

I heard some good things about TCM though and honestly ended preview night a bit more excited for it.

Sure, but that's different than, "This one is everything, trust me" and "One of the best houses I've ever worked on." That seems unusually enthusiastic, especially for a non-original that we've already seen. I'm excited! I hope there's a forest sequence, and I'm wondering if there's anything resembling the underground catacombs from part 2.

Sure, but that's different than, "This one is everything, trust me" and "One of the best houses I've ever worked on." That seems unusually enthusiastic, especially for a non-original that we've already seen. I'm excited! I hope there's a forest sequence, and I'm wondering if there's anything resembling the underground catacombs from part 2.
If you are a fan and getting to work on a dream property, that would most often qualify it as one of the best you ever worked on. Furthermore, if you were allowed to ADD to the original movie by including a character you loved from the sequel, that would also spice it up as a designer.

And again, a design can be "everything" or "one of the best" to a person from a DESIGN standpoint, then fall flat due to cast issues or scares not working in the anticipated fashion.

There's a big difference between the DESIGN of the house and how that house PLAYS when the cast is inside working.

Exactly why universal removed the comp pass for TM previews: it was used by media, vloggers, etc for event “reviews” so they could be first.

Pretty much, there's a "first culture" which vloggers are still clinging to. Where the real desperate ones give their cameras to TM friends in order to get content for the first reviews, which did happen this year from a couple vloggers.

On employee preview night, do the designers walk through the houses, watch others walk through the houses, or a little of both to see how the house actually plays in action?

Reactions: Robert Bliss