HHN 30: Employee Preview Thread | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 30: Employee Preview Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So who’s gonna be the first to admit they rebooked their HHN trip after cancelling cuz of “vinyl in muh houses”?

The majority of concern that I saw for vinyl/plexiglass had to do with safety, not show. I still think it's bonkers that masks aren't required for guests in the houses, but they think that vinyl will help protect the cast more than having everyone mask up. I wasn't a big fan of how plexiglass was used last year, so it's very encouraging that it appears the vinyl is better from a show perspective. I still think it's pandemic theater though.

I'm personally thinking of cancelling the SWHOS and adding a second night to Horror nights the weekend I'm going. Then maybe doing HOS when I go back for Spooky Empire.

Alright here are my thoughts on the event after last night

30 years 30 fears- The zone looks great but just feels really generic. I hate the characters they picked for the zone except for blood and bone and it just feels really generic. And you hear the voice of the icons just for them to not be there is beyond odd. There is also very few scare actors in the zone and it just feels really small and really empty.

Lights Camera Hacktion- I love this zone its a lot of fun! There are some really big props and I can't wait to spend more time here this fall.

Crypt TV- A really great zone that is filled with all of the monsters

Seek and Destroy- The aliens looks are kind of cheesy but I had a lot of great interactions last night! I was scanned by one and then was walked to the stage to pledge my soul to the controller and that was really cool! Love all of the spotlights.

Gorewood Forest- A beautiful zone but a very empty zone. The terra queen sacrifice wasn't anything too special but cool nonetheless, my main concern is there only feels like there are 8 scare actors in the whole thing and most are hiding in the mines so the rest of the zone feels empty. Really needs a few body collectors near the wagon IMO.

That being said I enjoyed these zones a lot more than 2019's and I really hope we get a few chainsaw hordes.

Wicked Growth- Absolutely phenomenal. It is the HALLOWEEN in Halloween Horror nights. Skeletons, witches, goblins, and amazing effects, and really unique scares make this the best house of the year in my opinion. It feels like a soundstage.

Puppet Theater- Also phenomenal! I love the costume designs in this house! the sets were amazing and it is disgustingly gory and it will go down as an all time favorite I have no doubt. Also like wicked, it feels like a soundstage house!

Scarey- This house didn't do it for me. I was really disappointed with how bad the transitions were. The scares are there and it's certainly not a bad house it just feels really messy.

Beetlejuice- I'm prob going to get a lot of hate for this but plexiglass ruined this house. It's done so well in all of the other houses and this one is just so obvious. Basically no changes from last year, its a funhouse but in my opinion, it's not a must-do.

Hill House- Now Hill House on the other hand is an absolute must-do! This house is gorgeous! The scares are amazing! There are some really unique effects that just work perfectly with the house! If you love the show you will love this house!

Case Files Unearthed- So I love this house but it needs some improvements. I couldn't hear any of the dialogue at all in the house so understanding the story basically felt impossible. The creature design is great tho and it has some really beautiful scenes (Boris office and kitty kat club in particular). I will say this is the best-looking house I have ever seen in Shrek! Also, I'm anxious to hear everybody's reactions to this house because there are some set designs that seem like this house was supposed to be Creepshow.

Bride of Frankenstein- This house was one I believe was plussed. Still, as amazing as last year except now that finale is jaw-dropping!

Tooth Fairy- Just like brides still as amazing as ever however I will say there is less plexiglass this time around and more fairies than last year and it's better than ever!

Texas Chainsaw- Honestly I don't know why marketing decided this should be marketed as the original film because it's not. This is basically Orlando's version of blood brothers. Chop Top is featured heavily. There are some really unique settings I was not expecting and even some really neat scares that don't involve chainsaws! My only issue is this house is a lot like Ho1C in 2019 and its so dark I had a hard time seeing what I was looking at a lot of the time. Really great house tho!

Icons- This is the house you are expecting and then some! Unlike Scarey these transitions are incredibly well done! Each Icon gets a decent amount of time and space and its just amazing. The Throne Room is amazing!!!!!!!

Also, I wanna mention that ALL 10 HOUSES feel longer than they normally are!!

I did catch a viewing of Marathon of Mayhem and IMO it's not as great as 2019. like not nearly as close. It's still a fun good show but kinda like Beetlejuice if your running out of time don't waste your time on this.

Overall tho the event is as amazing as ever and this year's house lineup is absolutely incredible! I cant wait to see these houses once the actors get really comfortable because I feel like more than half of these houses will be remembered for years to come!

The majority of concern that I saw for vinyl/plexiglass had to do with safety, not show. I still think it's bonkers that masks aren't required for guests in the houses, but they think that vinyl will help protect the cast more than having everyone mask up. I wasn't a big fan of how plexiglass was used last year, so it's very encouraging that it appears the vinyl is better from a show perspective. I still think it's pandemic theater though.

I don't disagree with you at all - but there's a certain section of the fandom that went off because it "ruined the magic" and not anything about the safety of the performers; and instead of taking a "wait and see" approach, they chose to take their ball and go home.

When is the media/bloggers preview?

Friday.

Could someone who was there yesterday tell me if they are giving out paper maps? Or are they going to give them from Friday?

Can you disclose if there are any Body Collectors/Gentlemen in the zone or at the event at all?

That's super sad, but I appreciate your response!

Really appreciate everyone taking the time to give feedback/first impressions.

I have until 10 days out to cancel based on many variables. This is helpful, as will the onsite feedback be a couple of weeks from now and onward.

You might cancel due to the lack of a certain character in a scarezone?

Not trying to call you out on that, but just find that shocking by someone who regularly goes. Quite likely I'm missing the nuances of your posts.

You might cancel due to the lack of a certain character in a scarezone?

Not trying to call you out on that, but just find that shocking by someone who regularly goes. Quite likely I'm missing the nuances of your posts.

Oh no not at all! Hahaha, I totally went into that with absolutely 0 segue.

Whether I hit the big red button or not isn't dependent on character selection. It's mostly a mix of Delta variant and financial situations, without getting too off-topic. :) Fortunately, having that 10 day policy at Cabana takes some of my anxiety away.

Is the finale scene of The Haunting of Hill House really something special, or just marketing to create buzz? I've seen it mentioned in Universal's original blog post as well as by some of the creators on Twitter. Feel free to put it in a Spoiler tag.

Reactions: HHNFiend
So I’m guessing no roaming chainsaw hoards in Springfield this year? Haven’t seen anybody post about it.
No. They typically don’t pull out hordes for TM preview because the hordes are typically cast with backups who aren’t used during Preview.
Hoards were definitely out for TM preview in 29 and from what I’ve heard, there are no hoards as of now. This was one of my negatives from last night in the street I forgot to list in my review as the area felt so dead.

Is the finale scene of The Haunting of Hill House really something special, or just marketing to create buzz? I've seen it mentioned in Universal's original blog post as well as by some of the creators on Twitter. Feel free to put it in a Spoiler tag.

I've been dying to know the same thing.

I think he may cancel depending on the COVID situation. We need lay off our users a bit here...

I wasn't trying to show them up or call them out, just was curious that someone seemingly so gungho for the event this year with the world falling apart, asking if a particular character made an appearance and when finding out they didn't, talking about their options for cancelling.

You always hear people saying "if they don't do XYZ, I'm never going again!!!" and thought I saw someone actually contemplating going through with what is an empty threat 99.99999% of the time.

Pointed out I figured I was missing the nuance of their post...

Reactions: Stonecoldfreak1
Question to those who went, which houses at peak time, 8-10pm had the longest lines that you could see? I know its not a perfect barometer, but I'll give an idea which houses will have shortest standby for 2nd run throughs without express.
I did Hill House at around what would've been otherwise "Peak" time on a normal guest night (~around 9PM or so). Listed wait time was 50 Minutes, we maybe waited 20-25 at most. After getting off, we got in line for Beetle juice and it was practically a walk on since a.) people had already started going home, and b.) the wait time sign was off, so people didn't know the line was open. (we had this happen to us a few times during the night).

I'd hardly call this a reliable barometer, but pretty much the rest of the park was down to 10 minute waits when we waited for HoHH and BJ, so you can take what you will from that.

Reactions: londonwerecat
Here's some scattered thoughts and first impressions from last night.

I did not see Puppet Theatre, Icons, CryptTV, Hill House, TCM, nu-Brides, Nightmare Fuel, or MoM, so no thoughts on those.

1. Wicked Growth is the clear winner of the night. There is so much going on in this house, it's crazy they fit it in the tent. A cult of Halloween creatures sacrifices people to summon the Pumpkin Lord and you have to escape each encounter. Some really cool effects and scares, and the cast was going all out. Very traditionally Halloween. Noticed a lot of reused props/costumes lifted from houses like Graveyard Games. The buildup to the Pumpkin Lord is probably one of my favorite parts. You can just barely see a bit of glowing vines out of the corner of your eye through the hallways leading into the next room, before you turn the corner and meet him. My favorite of the night.

2. Beetlejuice is a very well done house that didn't do a ton for me after having mentally processed it for a full year. Very Ghostbusters-y, and the intro room is still really neat with the BJ barker up top. Not many noticable changes, if any. One of my favorites from HHN lite and I imagine a lot of people will really enjoy it.

3. nuTooth is also a pretty good house that I didn't get a ton out of this time. Some of the scares are no longer behind plexi which changes things up a slight bit. Still no puppets and the weird cave effect in the Fairy Jubilee scene is still unused. There is a new scareactor with a prop towards the beginning of the house that probably won't get too many jumps but fills a spot that was clearly designed for a scare during Lite last year. It was weirdly nostalgic being back in Tooth after so long.

4. Case Files is pretty interesting. It's like a noir inspired Slaughter Sinema. Definitely have to go a few more times to really grasp what each scene was going for, but I got the basic ideas and there are some neat effects in play here. Very strange original creature designs and some really got me good. I could definitely see it being a sleeper hit this year.

5. Went through Carey basically alone which almost always leads to a more intense run but also a much faster run, so I probably missed quite a bit here. Longtime fans will really enjoy it, but dang is it just nonsense for anyone who's only been going for 5 years or less like myself. Some pretty good scares and interesting costumes, and some big names are here that even I knew, but I imagine a lot of the GP will completely write this one off. Interested in how my second run goes.

6. Scarezones are immediately better than 29, which should be hopeful considering zones were easily the weakest part of that event. My favorites are probably Terra and Eddie, but I'm hopeful for Seek and Destroy.

Terra is interesting. The stages are like a much more elaborate and cool looking Vikings with the Gorewood trees and Mines making up most of the stages. There are really only about 8 actors in the whole zone, 3 knucklegrunt-type Rat creatures, 2 tree Mantis-types, 2 tree stilt-walkers, and the Terra Queen herself out front on her stage. On the stage was what looked like Eelmouth being hung and the Terra Queen would occasionally lower Eelmouth into the pit below in a sacrifice ritual. On a slower night like this the Grunts were able to really spook people by running out of their Mines. Mantis' got similar reactions. I worry on more busy nights the zone will be completely unsalvagable, as the Grunts really do need space to work effectively. I also wonder if or how they could do an end of event Terra Queen sacrifice with her being in the very front of the zone, and frankly kinda out of the way. This zone might end up being a little contentious given how big the idea of Terra Cruentus is, but I personally enjoy it.

Eddie is crazy, when they said "Best Of Scarezones" I expected maybe 5 or 6 zones? There are like 13+ actors here each representing a different zone and multiple times throughout the night I would walk through and see a zone represented that simply wasn't there before. Not even just the fan favorites either. Ones I remember personally were Twisted Traditions, Dead Man's Wharf, The Harvest, Grown Evil. Then of course you have Treaks and Foons, Invasion, and Vamp 55 up on their stages. A ton of cool props and stages littered everywhere with the scareactors patrolling that'll make walking through Hollywood a minefield. Chainsaws are active here.

30 Years is certainly something. Another best of Scarezone, but this one doesn't have a ton going on. A few stages with actors walking and some photo ops. Pretty boring overall but the art is cool, the banner up top is nice to see come back, and Bone will always be my boy. Love that skeleton with all my heart.

Seek and Destroy has potential. The costumes are a little goofy and a little old school Star Trek-y, but with large crowds and some intensity it could still be a pretty good zone. I hope they figure out the visor situation, as seeing the actors face makes the imperial Stormtrooper technofascism aesthetic completely miss the mark. I do really like the red guards on the towers watching over, as well as the spotlights going through the crowd. This is a zone that lives and dies by the size of the crowd, and the larger the crowd the better. Chainsaws active here. Really want to see this one be something.

7. Miscellaneous section. Tribute store is not themed to any one IP. It's more of a general HHN mansion aesthetic which is nice in it's own way, and also allows for a whole lot more open-space. Honestly think I prefer last years store though. I like the IP rooms, I guess! Plexi and masks is how I described before, sometimes noticable and sometimes gets in the way, but not often enough to effect things too much imo. Really enjoyed going back to the smells and music and general atmosphere of HHN. If you're into that side of Horror Nights, it hasn't changed.

Overall, the team started designing this event back in November 2019 and despite all the time that's past since then, the event is still as wonderful as the one they had hoped to unveil a year ago today. It's one of the best years in recent memory and is a big love letter to the history of the event. I think there is lot here to love and I hope it only gets better as the scareactors get more comfortable with their roles. I only hope that an increasingly uncertain global situation does not put a damper on this stunning show. It doesn't help that the weather in the park was very humid and very muggy making things seem grosser than how they might have actually been, but being in those long HHN queues and witnessing the crowds that formed for certain zones, shows, or shops makes me more than a little anxious. I can only hope things work out in the end.

I would argue zones isn't where HHN shines, but they sound decent for the most part this year

All the lore service is enough for me to be giddy anyway