Horror Movies Thread | Page 66 | Inside Universal Forums

Horror Movies Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think LONGLEGS gets a bit too literal in the third act (it makes explicit things that could have remained implied), but aside from that, it's pretty great.

Beautifully-moody cinematography, and a tone of immaculate dread. Cage really delivers, too, and he somehow finds a way of being both quite goofy and extremely unsettling.

I usually have a pretty high tolerance for gore, but I absolutely could not watch Terrifier 2.
yeah I truly hate these, I hate this clown. and it is not lost on me that the ultra extreme gore violence is against women like some sort of statement. all horror movies have female victims obviously but these movies are like an excuse. it's not a quick kill like most movies, but pure torture. torture in the movie and for the audience

Reactions: Jake S
Yeah, I try to pride myself on sticking to the idea that more people need to celebrate what they love rather than deride what they dislike but Terrifer is truly one of those things where I just do not understand the appeal.

It's so overboard but it does not have any good nature or charm that something like Braindead has. It's just mean spirited to be mean spirited and it feels like it has nothing to say beyond supremely ugly gore. And that's not even touching the fact that they're not the greatest movies all around outside of that either.

I'm glad fans are getting more of what they want but it's not for me.

I've really tried to put my finger on what it is about the kills in the TERRIFIER movies that I find so unpleasant, while also still considering myself somebody who loves a great gore gag/kill*, and what I've arrived at is that Art the Clown's enjoyment of what he's doing is what I find off-putting. It gives the protracted kills a kind of fetishistic quality that I find uncomfortable.

Now, horror doesn't have to be comfortable! But I think the intent of the TERRIFIER movies is that we're meant to enjoy the gore as much as Art does... and I don't, so the movies don't work on their own terms for me. That's the disconnect.

*This year's IN A VIOLENT NATURE contains several pretty extreme (and inventive!) kills that work in the context of the movie's intentions.

Yeah, the glee Art takes in the torturous murder of women is one of those things that might bother me less if we lived in a society that was complete different from this one. But watching the first movie, I couldn’t help feeling like even Jason Voorhees would want Art to take it down a few notches.

• Sad
Reactions: Lucky Planet
Yeah, I try to pride myself on sticking to the idea that more people need to celebrate what they love rather than deride what they dislike but Terrifer is truly one of those things where I just do not understand the appeal.

It's so overboard but it does not have any good nature or charm that something like Braindead has. It's just mean spirited to be mean spirited and it feels like it has nothing to say beyond supremely ugly gore. And that's not even touching the fact that they're not the greatest movies all around outside of that either.

I'm glad fans are getting more of what they want but it's not for me.

I've really tried to put my finger on what it is about the kills in the TERRIFIER movies that I find so unpleasant, while also still considering myself somebody who loves a great gore gag/kill*, and what I've arrived at is that Art the Clown's enjoyment of what he's doing is what I find off-putting. It gives the protracted kills a kind of fetishistic quality that I find uncomfortable.

Now, horror doesn't have to be comfortable! But I think the intent of the TERRIFIER movies is that we're meant to enjoy the gore as much as Art does... and I don't, so the movies don't work on their own terms for me. That's the disconnect.

*This year's IN A VIOLENT NATURE contains several pretty extreme (and inventive!) kills that work in the context of the movie's intentions.
Season 7 Nbc GIF by The Office

I agree with this

people try to defend these movies by saying it's a parody or by saying that it's supposed to be like a LOONEY TOONS horror homage ( imagine roadrunner or Tom And Jerry in real life. basically Itchy and Scratchy)
but I don't find this clown funny like the fans do. he's kind of gross and annoying ( which is the point) but it's trying to hard to be edgy. it's too mean spirited and evil for the sake of evil?

I remember some girl online saying to me " the gore is so over the top is hilarious, it's so unrealistic that it becomes funny! " but I don't see anything funny about it. it's just like, annoying. yeah it's shocking but it's not entertaining. it's not clever.
it's like, hateful. movies feel hateful to the women. using *shock - humor - gore" but the movies feel angry? like the writer was upset

people try to defend these movies by saying it's a parody or by saying that it's supposed to be like a LOONEY TOONS horror homage ( imagine roadrunner or Tom And Jerry in real life. basically Itchy and Scratchy)

I remember some girl online saying to me " the gore is so over the top is hilarious, it's so unrealistic that it becomes funny! "
This may well even be the intent, but I didn't receive the movies this way.

• Sad
Reactions: Lucky Planet