Horror Movies Thread | Page 68 | Inside Universal Forums

Horror Movies Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Well, I saw Blink Twice yesterday. What a disappointment. Ironic that a film about forgetting ends up being forgettable. The cast is stacked with talented actors, but every single person is given nothing to do and essentially zero character. It’s nice to see Channing Tatum play against type for a change, and he’s likely the best one here, but it’s not enough to save the film. Blink Twice has some fun with colors. There’s a good deal of yellow and a lot of reds.

While this wants to be a horror comedy, it’s rarely funny and never scary. It is incredibly dark and mean, though. It doesn’t have much to say that hasn’t been said in better films or in more interesting/novel/unique ways. The one kind-of new thing it brings to the table is the theme of forgetting vs forgiving. I also like that it deals with the question of if change is ever really possible.

I commend Zöe Kravitz for trying her hand at directing and writing (with E.T. Feigenbaum credited as co-writer), but she just does not have the sauce. Nice try, though. Unfortunately, Blink Twice is dull and uninteresting. There are very few surprises here, and the opening trigger warning basically gives away the whole game before the film even starts. Forgetting is a gift, just be grateful this film isn’t one you’ll be likely to remember in T-minus a year (or less).

1.5 STARS

ODDITY, a new movie on VOD from the U.K./Ireland, is very good. Clever, old-school genre storytelling that is executed very effectively. If you're a fan of any of the British horror anthology films from the 1970s, this very much feels in that world.

And it has one particularly tremendous jump scare.
Been looking very forward to this one as it's seeming to run under the radar in a stacked year. Believe it's coming to Shudder at some point so I'll be checking it out there if I can wait!

Reactions: Jake S and belloq87
Alright, fair bit of catch up to do here. My wife and I watched a bunch of horror movies while on vacation the past week, so here are some abridged thoughts.

We watched the entire Hell House LLC series and really enjoyed them. The most recent entry (Origins) is the weakest of the bunch, but all still plenty enjoyable if you're into found footage (we are).

We followed that up with History of the Occult (Historia de la Oculta), an Argentinian horror film that we both found more effective than the similar Late Night with the Devil. Black and white, quite paranoid and thematically resonant. We really enjoyed this one.

Then we went back to found footage with As Above, So Below. It's largely panned by critics, but I actually found it enjoyable. Our protagonist is a bit grating, but frankly the plot wouldn't move forward without her. It's worth a watch!

We went back to Spanish with El Conde, a Chilean horror film that posits Pinochet as a vampire. My wife has done much of her work in Chile and we've both seen a handful of Pablo Larrain's previous films. El Conde didn't work for me, despite being beautifully shot and featuring a fun concept. It's quite slow and very self indulgent.

Our marathon wrapped up with When Evil Lurks, another Argentine horror film. This is tremendously messed up but in a surprisingly watchable way. It's quite violent and, at times, shocking, but absolutely worth a watch if you're in the right headspace.

Reactions: belloq87 and mks
Then we went back to found footage with As Above, So Below. It's largely panned by critics, but I actually found it enjoyable. Our protagonist is a bit grating, but frankly the plot wouldn't move forward without her. It's worth a watch!
This is a very underrated movie. Unlike most found footage films, this one has an actual narrative arc that resolves instead of just ends.

Reactions: Jake S
Saw Strange Darling last night. Below are my thoughts.

'Strange Darling' is one of those films that works best if you walk in knowing nothing about it. Don’t read any reviews (Heck, don't even read this review! I try to avoid spoilers, but there's always the chance something in here could inevitably tip you off to any number of this flick's numerous surprises or twists). Don’t watch any trailers. Go in blind and let the film work it’s magic. In 'Strange Darling', a one-night stand between The Lady (Willa Fitzgerald) and The Demon (Kyle Gallant) spirals wildly out of control when one is revealed to be a serial killer. A psycho-sexual battle for dominance and power ensues. Yes, this is VERY loosely based on a real serial killer.

Kyle Gallner and Willa Fitzgerald go toe-to-toe in the acting department. Both are superb. Kyle Gallner is an experienced horror alum, having appeared in 'Red Eye', 'A Haunting in Connecticut', 'Jennifer's Body', 'A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)', 'Red State', 'The Cleanse', 'The Cleansing Hour', 'Alien Code', 'Mother, May I', '5cream', and 'The Passenger'. Gallner has quickly become a horror darling with a rapidly growing fan base. You know whenever he's involved in a project, no matter how small his role, he's going to bring the goods.

Willa Fitzgerald is no stranger to acting, having appeared in multiple tv shows and films. She played the lead, Emma Duval, in the first two seasons of the 'Scream: The TV Series'. She also slayed as the insanely hot and insanely bad young Madeline Usher in Mike Flanagan's 'The Fall of the House of Usher' on Netflix. While watching that show, I took to calling her Queen Bitch for a reason. It was a title she easily earned. Happily, Fitzgerald doesn't disappoint here and once again massively impresses. As for supporting players: Barbara Hershey and Ed Begley Jr. are sweet as an elderly couple, but it's Stephen Michael Quesada who is most memorable as an experienced cop.

J.T. Mollner directs and writes. His direction is superb and the screenplay is strong. Giovanni Ribisi (best known for his acting roles in 'Ted' and 'Avatar') is in charge of cinematography. This is his first theatrical effort, and he nails it. There are plenty of lingering close-ups that allow audiences to get the full range of an actor’s emotions, as well as some great creative shots too.

'Strange Darling' is a puzzle-box of a movie. There are some great twists and many, many, many turns. What might be most surprising is just how much fun this film is. It’s also got a great gallows sense of humor to it at times as well. Those expecting horror will likely be disappointed, as this is more of a psycho-sexual thriller than anything else. There is a good deal of blood, though. When this film wants you to see blood, it shows you blood.

'Strange Darling' is yet another welcome surprise in 2024. It’s actually some of the most fun you’ll have in a theater this year. It’s got two phenomenal lead performances, memorable cinematography, and more-than competent direction…in other words, there’s a lot to recommend and commend here. If you want to see one of the best films of 2024, then I say it’s time to get a little strange, darling.

5 STARS

Reactions: belloq87