Howl-O-Scream 2021 (SeaWorld Orlando) | Page 17 | Inside Universal Forums

Howl-O-Scream 2021 (SeaWorld Orlando)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Still debating whether to give this event a try or to pay for another night of HHN that isn't currently covered by my FFP+. We're coming from out of state, and the caveat is we won't have a car - so would need to pay for/manage rideshares.

If it's a dry night, definitely worth it for the variety and the "I was there the first year" brag later on. Doubly so if you drink, as I mentioned the bars are a highlight with the zones. Assuming you're staying at UOR, rideshare shouldn't be too bad. Two exits on I-4 or just head down Universal Blvd.

A few pages back, someone mentioned how if you dine at Sharks you can get daytime access to the park early without a ticket? I've been paying attention to reservations, but nothing has become available. Does anyone know if they do walkups?

..annnd after checking every day for weeks, suddenly reservations are available for every day of the month now. Not sure if it's a website glitch, but figured I'd post in case anyone is trying to grab a reservation. Will be nice to get into the park for some attractions before Howl-O-Scream.

Reactions: GAcoaster
..annnd after checking every day for weeks, suddenly reservations are available for every day of the month now. Not sure if it's a website glitch, but figured I'd post in case anyone is trying to grab a reservation. Will be nice to get into the park for some attractions before Howl-O-Scream.

I'm trying to go for it, as that's quite a deal, but am unfortunately getting a server runtime error...

A few pages back, someone mentioned how if you dine at Sharks you can get daytime access to the park early without a ticket? I've been paying attention to reservations, but nothing has become available. Does anyone know if they do walkups?
You have to have a reservation to get into the park early. I snagged reservations as soon as magical dining opened up.

3pm reservation @ Sharks. And we will stay in the park until HoS.

May be worth calling the restaurant directly to see if they can advise of any openings

So consensus from everyone who has gone is that the HoS Express pass isn't worth the money?

Definitely manageable without so far. Best plan of attack would be to go all the way back to Pretzel Kitchen and hit those 2 houses first since everyone will else will be at the ones by Ice Breaker. Last Saturday, I think the longest I waited was 30 min for Beneath the Ice because rain was starting to roll in and it's the only covered queue. I was able to do all houses twice, went through all the zones, saw both shows, and got 2 rides on Mako, all at a casual pace. Even managed to get a couple of solo runs in the houses by Ice Breaker around midnight. Going to be interesting to see if crowds do pick up in October.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I went ahead and got a 4pm reservation for Sharks (had to use another browser to make it go through). My understanding is we can enter the park just before our reservation, have our dinner, and then enjoy the daytime offerings until close at 7pm? Would love to check out Manta and/or Kraken since they aren't open for Howl-O-Scream.

I went ahead and got a 4pm reservation for Sharks (had to use another browser to make it go through). My understanding is we can enter the park just before our reservation, have our dinner, and then enjoy the daytime offerings until close at 7pm? Would love to check out Manta and/or Kraken since they aren't open for Howl-O-Scream.
That is how I have read everything and am planning to do it. I'm going this Sunday and will update

Going as a daytime guest is also the only way you can bring a bag into Howl-O-Scream. I got denied bringing my backpack in by security and told I had to put it in the car (there's actually an explicit sign stating no bags), but if you do the Stay & Scream equivalent, you can have one on you.

In the bar back by Mako, I didn't get anything to drink here, but felt it was worth pointing out that there was a small theater troupe made up of old Adventurers Club performers just doing improv at the bar. Overall, I feel like they've paying a lot of money for the talent in their themed bars and most people are ignoring it. If it was consolidated into one or two Must-See bars, I feel like the expenditures would be more worth it in some instances, but as is, I just feel like a lot of money in the event went to the talent here and it's being ignored.

Going as a daytime guest is also the only way you can bring a bag into Howl-O-Scream. I got denied bringing my backpack in by security and told I had to put it in the car (there's actually an explicit sign stating no bags), but if you do the Stay & Scream equivalent, you can have one on you.

Can anyone going confirm that you will be able to keep your bag once you are inside the park pre-Howl O Scream? Since we'll be taking a rideshare, having to turn back and return a bag to our room would represent a major expense and time waste. We're fine getting an in-park locker if that's a workaround.

Frankly, the deal with Shark Grill still seems too good to be true. Sorry for the questions, but does anyone know if any of the adult-oriented rides are closing early on Howl-O-Scream rides? The goal would be to do dinner at 4, be out at 5, and try to hit Manta and Kraken before the transition (hitting Mako later into the night).

Can anyone going confirm that you will be able to keep your bag once you are inside the park pre-Howl O Scream? Since we'll be taking a rideshare, having to turn back and return a bag to our room would represent a major expense and time waste. We're fine getting an in-park locker if that's a workaround.

Frankly, the deal with Shark Grill still seems too good to be true. Sorry for the questions, but does anyone know if any of the adult-oriented rides are closing early on Howl-O-Scream rides? The goal would be to do dinner at 4, be out at 5, and try to hit Manta and Kraken before the transition (hitting Mako later into the night).
I don't know what time Mako closed, but Infinity Falls closed at 10PM when I was there for a 1am close this past Friday. I'm pretty sure on what I was saying ala bags, but then again I don't 100% know.

In the bar back by Mako, I didn't get anything to drink here, but felt it was worth pointing out that there was a small theater troupe made up of old Adventurers Club performers just doing improv at the bar. Overall, I feel like they've paying a lot of money for the talent in their themed bars and most people are ignoring it. If it was consolidated into one or two Must-See bars, I feel like the expenditures would be more worth it in some instances, but as is, I just feel like a lot of money in the event went to the talent here and it's being ignored.
Yeah, they'd been performing as the Longshoremen (Yellow Pants) for a while most of the week before being cut during COVID. They were a must-see for me when going to SWO.

Reactions: Nick
Finally... LOL

I just cancelled a Sharks Magical Dining Reservation for today @ 315p.

Wife got foot poisoning last night and we had to reschedule.

My wife and I went to Howl-O-Scream Friday night. We had a blast. She doesn't really care for HHN, but she loved Howl-O-Scream. We were the first people in the Dead Vines house, and she got every scare. She literally screamed 20 times during one single run. Between the scare zones and 8 total house runs (2 in each house), she probably screamed 60+ times. On a given HHN night, she might scream 3-4 times the whole night.

@Clive I can confirm that you can keep your bag if you are already in the park before HOS starts. I can also confirm that the refillable cups work during the event, though there aren't a whole lot of places to fill them.

Sharks is saying they are only doing walk-ups right now and no advanced reservations. Is this a recent development?
I've gotten my reservations through Sea World Website and have a barcoded ticket showing the reservation.

I Rebooked for Oct 10th. May only be taking limited walk ups .

Went to SW HoS last night! After flying back home to LA, getting some food in my belly, and getting a short nap in, I will post my thoughts on HHN later but start with this. Here are my thoughts on the houses in order of which I've done:

Beneath the Ice: This was my most-anticipated as I was really interested to see how they would repurpose the Wild Arctic structure to accommodate the house. I really liked this! Although the sets weren't anything to write home about, they were pretty detailed and gave me "The Thing" vibes.There was pretty good scares and energy in this house. I will say I was a little disappointed how they didn't use any of the exhibit that was at the end of the ride. I mean, would it have killed them to just put some props here and there, throw in a little lighting, and let the scareactors work their magic? Oh well. I still really liked this. Not a bad way to start the event.

Water's Edge Inn: Another pretty solid house. There was surprisingly creative scares in this one (Ahem, the laundry basket). Probably the weakest scenic-wise for me, but the amount of scares I got here made up for that. It was kinda weird how the exit was positioned and how they made you go all the way back to the entrance of the event.

Captain's Revenge: The only house with a facade and it was a decent one! This was by far the strongest house for me. Got some great scares in here. Also liked some of the scenic and detail they put in here. Don't have much more to say here.

Dead Vines: I liked the backwoods and greenhouse theme in here. Probably had the best scenic of all the houses. Also got some good scares in here as well.

Overall, my house rankings would be probably 1) Captain's 2) Dead Vines 3) Beneath the Ice 4) Water's Edge. Scarezones were also really good! There was some really good energy from the talent, but it was clear that there were a good handful that got turned down from HHN. At least they were fun and there were definitely some that weren't afraid to get up close and personal. I love that. Also great to see sliders!

Also, we got to ride Mako: the only coaster operating at the event. First time riding it at night. Apparently, Monster Stomp had gotten out because I had to wait 20 min. I go for my second ride and it's almost a walk-on. Go figure. Anyway I love this ride and there's a good reason it's still on my top 10. It was my friends' first time on it and they enjoyed the heck out of it. It was great to finally get them on a B&Mhyper since we don't have any of those rides in our neck of the woods.

I went in expecting an "okay but fun" event. This also happens to be the first HoS event I've ever attended. (Hopefully will get to go to the one in Tampa some day!) For my first HoS event, I was pleasantly surprised and impressed at SWO's first attempt at a haunt event. It felt to me like a mixture of the vibe of Dark Harbor at Queen Mary and the scareactor energy and house scenic of Fright Fest at SFMM. It felt much more "small scale" than other haunt events, but I feel that works to it's advantage. It "knew it's place" by knowing it isn't HHN and embraced it. It allowed the scareactors a lot more freedom to do whatever they want and let them have fun at scaring. I looked down at my phone for a couple minutes while waiting for dippin dots, only to look up and find a scareactor scream in my face. I loved it. One of the sliders jumped out and scared one of my friends leaving the restroom right when he opened the door. No way you would see that at HHN! It was also neat seeing an entrance plaza and bridge made specifically for the event. It really succeeds at embracing their more personal and old-school at their style.

Also, we were at Epcot for the day but enjoyed ourselves a little too much so we got a late start headed to the event. It was Saturday night and the soonest we were able to get there was 8:30. We didn't do the "fear pass" as we didn't feel like spending more dough after having Express for two nights at HHN. I was a little apprehensive as to what the crowd situation would be as our late arrival on a peak night should've spelled doom for our evening. The crowds were surprisingly reasonable for a Saturday night and lines were only about 20-30 min. max. Even when the lines looked long, they moved very quickly. We had a great time and were able to comfortably do everything we wanted by 11:15/11:30. Although it would've been kinda cool to see Monster Stomp, we really didn't have the chance to see any of the shows. Perhaps this will change once we get deeper into October, but if you're concerned about ridiculous crowds ruining your night, we arrived late and were able to knock out all of the houses and easily and ride Mako twice with no fear pass. All before midnight. On a Saturday night.

So yeah, I really enjoyed HoS at SWO! It's really more of an event for the Central Florida locals and for the out-of-towners who happen to have an extra night to spare while showing up for HHN, but I say check it out! Just show up to expect to have a good time and for some good ol' fashioned haunted houses. If you have an evening open on your HHN trip, check it out! Would I sacrifice my second night of HHN to go to it if it was my only other night I could go to HHN? Ehhh.....probably not. But after two straight nights of HHN with express, I liked seeing something different and more "old school" and I enjoyed it! Oh, and go on Mako while you're there.

I do plan on attending the San Diego event, so I look forward to checking that out as well and comparing the two!

Last edited: