Howl-O-Scream 2022 (Seaworld Orlando) | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Howl-O-Scream 2022 (Seaworld Orlando)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Does anybody think they should rename this event to distinguish it from Tampa’s version ?

Checked out this event last night and had a lot of fun, crowds unbelievably low which made the night so much more enjoyable. Was surprised to see them pulsing the houses which is something i'm not used to seeing at HHN. Got a bunch of great photos from the night.

HOS Sea World by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Houses were a huge disappointment. Most were empty and had very little scare actors in them. Witch of the woods was pretty much just an emtpy watlkthrough for my run. The Residence: Home for the Holidays was great though! All the Scare Zones and actors were awesome too! Love the Crash Test Clowns also!

• Wow
Reactions: Lucky Planet
Houses were a huge disappointment. Most were empty and had very little scare actors in them. Witch of the woods was pretty much just an emtpy watlkthrough for my run. The Residence: Home for the Holidays was great though! All the Scare Zones and actors were awesome too! Love the Crash Test Clowns also!
I think this was meant for another thread :tease:

But yes, I share you sentiments about Tampa...it felt like they hired half of the actors needed

Reactions: Darko
Had a first to me

Small world, we were there too that night. I think we were just a couple of groups from walking into the house and then groups started coming back through the entrance. Someone walked out all angry saying "don't bother waiting, it broke down!"

How have the crowds been for the event? I'd like to go this coming weekend, would I need to buy a Front of Line pass?

We got in at event open on a Saturday and our longest wait (one house) was about 40 minutes? The line wasn't even that long, they just waited like 90 seconds between groups to let someone else in. Everything else was under ten minutes. We did every house but one, by 10:00. Two of those hours were spent at the Longshoreman's Tavern though. By the time we got to that final house, that evac situation mentioned above happened. We had over a hour to wait for it to reopen, but just decided to call it quits.

I highly recommend stopping by Longshoreman's Tavern at some point though. The actors there are a blast. I can't believe something like this isn't present at Universal or Disney year-round.

The absolute best part of this event are the scarezones. Because 1. They were EXTREMELY dark. 2. SAs were ACTUALLY trying to scare not take photo ops, and 3. the sets and props were great.

The houses are obviously lacking in themeing and set design due to budget, but the fact that every role is an improv role and you have minimal scripting made the house fun.

Had one interaction in the Pirate zone that had me falling on the floor laughing, absolutely funniest thing a SA has ever said to me in my life and it was awesome.

Crowds were also minimal, walked onto every house except Blood Beckoning which was a 30 min wait due to pulsing.

Monster Stomp was also a lot of fun and the singers they have for the show are legit.

The absolute best part of this event are the scarezones. Because 1. They were EXTREMELY dark. 2. SAs were ACTUALLY trying to scare not take photo ops, and 3. the sets and props were great.

The houses are obviously lacking in themeing and set design due to budget, but the fact that every role is an improv role and you have minimal scripting made the house fun.

Had one interaction in the Pirate zone that had me falling on the floor laughing, absolutely funniest thing a SA has ever said to me in my life and it was awesome.

Crowds were also minimal, walked onto every house except Blood Beckoning which was a 30 min wait due to pulsing.

Monster Stomp was also a lot of fun and the singers they have for the show are legit.

Blood Beckoning was the one we waited about 40 minutes for as well. The pulsing was causing major delays with that house. I'm not sure why they are taking so long between each party. Every other house was about 20 seconds between groups.

Saw about half the event last night, so not a full review, but some initial thoughts. Kevin Yee used to discuss Disney "declining by degrees" -- I'd say HoS is "improving by degrees." A slightly better event than its debut, but if you didn't care for it in 2021, 2022 not suddenly going to change your mind.

The larger lay-out helps, tho I still wish it was a full loop. Ice Breaker adds some kinetic energy to the entrance area. I saw one new scare gag I won't spoil but it's genius in its simplicity and effectiveness. Some of the make-up on "marquee" actors in zones felt like a step up, although most actors are still very minimally made up.

The good is still good. Scare-actors, especially in zones, are just relentless. Those in the houses are allowed to ad lib (saw one effortlessly switch from English to Spanish). The bars have live entertainment and good, tho pricey, drinks. Lines remain reasonable even with pulsing. Monster Stomp remains the closest thing to Broadway quality I've seen in a theme park, so I give it more of a pass than Nightmare Fuel even tho it's the exact same show. There are still Jello Shot girls (and boys!).

But a lot of the bad remains bad. As I mentioned, most make-up is minimal. Sets are maybe even a step down from last year (the attempts to transform hotel rooms into cruise ship-specific sets in one house look like backdrops from a middle school play). Food options are sparse and understaffed.

But the biggest problem is the sameness. Effectively one new house and one new show* -- yet to see either -- but the rest feels exactly like 2021. I guess I can let that slide for a sophomore year but if prices continue to creep up and this feels mostly the same come 2024, I would just skip the event.

* Technically two new shows with the drag show somewhere near Sky Tower. But since that is an upcharge and not really advertised in the map, I'm treating it as its own thing. When I get a chance to attend, will report back whether or not it ties in.

UPDATE: The new monster hunter show in the pearl diver "theater" got a few chuckles out of me. Adventurers Club vibe, lot of dad jokes that border on risque given the theme park audience (HoS seems to attract even more kids than HHN). The show begs for a second actor or slightly better special effects in its climax, but no such luck.

The new house -- Blood something -- is horrible. Makes Hellblock Horror look like a masterpiece of coherent design.

Start in an abandoned bookstore. With one scare-actor. Then a sparse butcher shop followed by a frozen meat locker. OK, so maybe this is a twisted version of Main Street. Nope, next you're outside in a campground, or maybe a homeless enclave, it's not clear. Then for the finale you re-enter a haunted strip club. (See my comment above about the number of children at the event.) Walk past two vampire strippers, and outside there's two more random unthemed bungee jumpers as you exit. Because I guess they had the equipment sitting around.

Understaffed, minimal sets. I've seen haunts in people's back yards that do a better job. My guess is all the talent they poached from HHN in 2021 has moved on, which does not bode well for the future of the event.

Last edited:
Did my first Howl-O-Scream and was great, but definitely a once-every-other-year sort of event.

Definitely got scared in the houses way more than HHN. Though the quality (expected) is such a drastic difference.

One minor issue I had was that we were held at the very front until the true start time of 7:00, which I find odd since the park is huge and you would think they could give us a 5-10 minute walking head start.

Scare zones are what truly make the event unique and a step above HHN.

The houses are either really good or really bad?

Siren of the Seas - a house that I wish HHN can take and blow up to their standards. Felt less like a haunted house, and more like a museum walkthrough of a ship since the scenes were quite large and difficult for the actors to come out and scare you. The actors were trying less to scare you and rather show off whatever room they were in.

Beneath the Ice - was ok, very dark.

Captain's Revenge - the best and scariest house of the event. Had high-quality scenes with great unique scares. What I found odd was that this house was very well-staffed, with about 15+ actors? Yet they can't manage to get more than 6-7 at the other houses?

Dead Vines - pretty much a budget version of Seeds of Extinction.

Blood Reckoning - is very reminiscent of an amateur "really good" haunted house in somebody's backyard. Was an ok house, had about 6 actors?

Didn't like Monster Stomp at all. I know lots of people are raving about it, but the only part that intrigued me was the knife drummers.

[QUOTE="Stonecoldfreak1, post: 965658, member: 11785"
I highly recommend stopping by Longshoreman's Tavern at some point though. The actors there are a blast. I can't believe something like this isn't present at Universal or Disney year-round.
[/QUOTE]

So I went to the Longshoreman's Tavern, which according to the map was located at the Flamecraft Bar by the water, and didn't see any actors?? This was at the last hour of the event.