Human Rights, Horror Nights and the Theme Park Community | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Human Rights, Horror Nights and the Theme Park Community

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
You came out guns blazing with hostility to a thread that should be about helping each other.

Absolutely, this is 100% the point and purpose of this post—to help understand and better learn how we can all do our part to make this community of our’s a better, more welcoming, more accepting place.

Oh, gosh. Did that actually happen? I can’t believe I wasn’t aware of this. That’s really a shame.

Unfortunately, yes. As @RevFreako said, we lost the character of Carrie in the All Nite Die In zone from 25 due to assault and harassment.

Oh, gosh. Did that actually happen? I can’t believe I wasn’t aware of this. That’s really a shame.
That'd be Carrie from the Die-In at I believe 25.
Yep. Stuff like that has happened routinely through the events history. They added male vampires in Castle Vampyr because guests kept jumping onto the infamous “bed scare” to assault the performer. Those male performers were strictly in place to serve as guards (there was no boo hole for them), and Universal has modified all bed scenes since to include multiple, obvious, male-coded characters and a quick-slide escape for the performers on the bed.

Yep. Stuff like that has happened routinely through the events history. They added male vampires in Castle Vampyr because guests kept jumping onto the infamous “bed scare” to assault the performer. Those male performers were strictly in place to serve as guards (there was no boo hole for them), and Universal has modified all bed scenes since to include multiple, obvious, male-coded characters and a quick-slide escape for the performers on the bed.

The thought of needing an escape hatch at someone's job so they don't get abused or assaulted is scarier than any maze. That's terrible.

I don't have much to add elsewise on the topic at hand, but we all should do our best to be respectful of others.

And this happens every year in scarezones particularly. They put half naked women out there, knowing exactly why they are doing it, only for the ASM/SM's to then a week or two in to have to work with the performance coordinators on a fix, which is usually having males watchout/protect the female (instead of just changing her costume). Then guests/fans complain that said scarezone isn't scary enough when the performers are doing their best with what they can do.

Scareactors also get sidelined to basically form a quasi wall around stilt walkers so that they don't fall in extremely heavy crowds. The reason for that is a bit different, mostly because once guests are good and drunk, they for some reason love to try and go through the legs of a stilt walker.

Please don't be that person to do those types of things and respect the safety of the people who are putting on the event for you. Just because Universal has female performers wearing a short skirts and what basically amounts to a bra doesn't mean they want to wear that costume. It means they need the job and need to get paid, but they aren't there to get sexually assaulted. I believe i've said this before, but i've seen way too many women cry for weeks before quitting over that exact reasoning.

And this happens every year in scarezones particularly. They put half naked women out there, knowing exactly why they are doing it, only for the ASM/SM's to then a week or two in to have to work with the performance coordinators on a fix, which is usually having males watchout/protect the female (instead of just changing her costume). Then guests/fans complain that said scarezone isn't scary enough when the performers are doing their best with what they can do.

Scareactors also get sidelined to for a quasi wall around stilt walkers so that they don't fall in extremely heavy crowds. The reason for that is a bit different, mostly because once guests are good and drunk, they for some reason love to try and go through the legs of a stilt walker.

Please don't be that person to do those types of things and respect the safety of the people who are putting on the event for you. Just because Universal has female performers wearing a short skirts and what basically amounts to a bra doesn't mean they want to wear that costume. It means they need the job and need to get paid, but they aren't there to get sexually assaulted. I believe i've said this before, but i've seen way too many women cry for weeks before quitting over that exact reasoning.
Sorry, but what is ASM/SM?

Why *does* HHN incorporate sexy elements? Like, the dancers in Rob Zombie, the scareactor costumes mentioned in this thread, etc.? This is an interesting thread, and I’m interested in hearing (especially from the female fans’ perspective) what the link is between all things horror and sex.

Why *does* HHN incorporate sexy elements? Like, the dancers in Rob Zombie, the scareactor costumes mentioned in this thread, etc.? This is an interesting thread, and I’m interested in hearing (especially from the female fans’ perspective) what the link is between all things horror and sex.
I feel like it was meant to play up the exploitation or risque aspects that a lot of grittier horror relied kinda heavily on through the 90s and 2000s. Personally, I think it was a pretty shortsighted move on the events part, since I dunno how they couldn't have guessed that some guests would be horrible and harrass and assault performers, but I'm glad they've been scaling it back.

I personally see it as the haunt scene just being extremely male dominant. They share the same group of fans, and most likely employees/designers/execs, that are already predisposed to the horror genre and it’s historically misogynistic depictions of women. Put the two together and, IMO, it can end up essentially bringing some of the grossest views of women to life, whether intentional or not.

FWIW, this is not a strictly HHN problem. Howl-o-Scream has the alcohol servers sell shots dressed in skimpy clothing (or shirtless for male servers). Probably was never a good idea considering how much booze flows at that event.
The nurses from Fiends are also out doing meet and greets every night. Not good.

The funny thing about Fiends is that it is a truly equal opportunity offender. The male performers in that show always draw the biggest cheers.

"Equal opportunity offender" to me is on the level of "I'm not racist, I hate everyone equally," in that it might not say what one thinks one means.

Reactions: Jocamom and Legacy
Not saying he was right, but I feel like he had no idea what he was talking about or highly misunderstood the criticism we throwing at haunts.
He could have directly attacked the topic that is being at hand, but he didn't since he had no real idea what we were even talking about.
Carry on.

P.S. My sister had worked in the theme park scene for MANY years as costumed characters and a variety show performers. She has had some truly depressing tales involving our topic of hand. As to help raise awareness, would I be allowed to make a list of events corresponding with a date and location?
Thank you, let's stand up and fight!

That really bums me out hearing what performers at the events in Florida have to go through, on what seems like a nightly basis. I haven’t seen or really heard anything specifically for HHN Hollywood but I would be shocked if that doesn’t occur here as well. I wish people were a little more mature at these events, even when alcohol is thrown in the mix. A ‘ ‘skimpy’ outfit is an invitation for nothing. Period.

Reactions: anihilnation
It's important to note that the harrassment doesn't stop if you give actresses less skimpy clothing to wear. I know some actresses who worked as a rather iconic little girl character (canonically a child) and was harassed multiple times, to the point where the larger male actors around her had to keep watch of them just in case they needed help getting to an SM. Hypersexualized costumes are part of the issue, but definitely not the root of it.

It's important to note that the harrassment doesn't stop if you give actresses less skimpy clothing to wear. I know some actresses who worked as a rather iconic little girl character (canonically a child) and was harassed multiple times, to the point where the larger male actors around her had to keep watch of them just in case they needed help getting to an SM. Hypersexualized costumes are part of the issue, but definitely not the root of it.

Amen. Just cuz it happens more with certain outfits doesn’t mean eliminating them would solve the problem. The real issue is respect and certain guests lack of any.