Human Rights, Horror Nights and the Theme Park Community | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Human Rights, Horror Nights and the Theme Park Community

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Everyone is free to not like her, her music and her visuals, and you have contributed some interesting discussion here so I hope you reconsider

I just want to clarify my own stance further for the general sake of discussion in the HHN threads, for me personally it’s never been about disliking something—you’re absolutely right in everyone being able to dislike whatever they want. There are IP’s, be it movies, TV, music, etc. that get thrown around constantly that I don’t like, or even that I’ve never heard of, and that’s totally fine.

I understand this thread was created in the light of Horror Nights, but I do feel like it might be worthwhile to bring up Disney and Universal's contributions to the Don't Say Gay bill that just passed the Senate today.

Universal supported the politicians who supported it too? I’ve only been seeing articles about Disney and Chapeck’s email to staff.

Universal supported the politicians who supported it too? I’ve only been seeing articles about Disney and Chapeck’s email to staff.

Comcast has donated to those politicians, they've just been silent about it. I'm not a fan of it, but considering how Disney/Chapek are actively blowing their legs off with their recent emails, I'd rather take Comcast's/Uni's silence unless they have something important to say.

Comcast has donated to those politicians, they've just been silent about it. I'm not a fan of it, but considering how Disney/Chapek are actively blowing their legs off with their recent emails, I'd rather take Comcast's/Uni's silence unless they have something important to say.
To be honest, the money does the talking. It’s easy to be a champion when it’s a marketing point.

Reactions: Allison and Legacy
No company gives two craps about their employee's....let alone groups. They never will support the gay community, Anything they do is all just to seem inclusive and woke but they dont give a dam.

Reactions: Dr. Herbert West
It kinda feels icky to be supporting Disney right now, tbh. My posts about Flower & Garden this weekend seemed tone deaf when this was happening under our noses.

For a company who has so many employees as part of the community and a community which gives so many of their dollars to them, they deserve all the backlash.

Reactions: RoseBlight
Sure says a lot that Chapek waited until the day after the bill passed to say a single damn word. This quote from him today says a lot considering the fact that their "behind-the-scenes work" was funding every single person pushing this bill:

"We chose not to take a public position on it because we thought we could be more effective working behind the scenes"

They better know their damn role come Pride and stay the hell away.

I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking about the possibility of staying away from the parks right now. I'm not sure what's more insulting Universal saying nothing or Chapek commenting after the bill had been passed.

In all honesty, HHN is going to need one hell of a lineup for me to consider going. I can't imagine what it's like being an LGBT Team Member or Scareactor right now, it's alienating just being a fan. It's hard being part of that community and hearing toxic fans but having the company itself support something like this is just sickening for me.

Sure says a lot that Chapek waited until the day after the bill passed to say a single damn word. This quote from him today says a lot considering the fact that their "behind-the-scenes work" was funding every single person pushing this bill:

"We chose not to take a public position on it because we thought we could be more effective working behind the scenes"

They better know their damn role come Pride and stay the hell away.

Because he had nothing to do with it. I still think Chapek is a clown and I have no faith he will be able to navigate a company like Disney through this market. But the fact is, for decades big companies like Disney and Comcast have donated to all kinds of political/special interest groups. Some of these stakeholders happened to vote for a bill banning talking about sexual identity (including straight/cis) in public schools below 4th grade. This is very different than premeditated donations toward groups KNOWING they marginalize minority populations.

Now, if you want to re-evaluate where Disney/Comcast dollars go AFTER knowing who supports what, then absolutely. But to take a group of politicians’ decisions out on the parks is to harm the huge populations of LGBTQ+ communities working the frontlines.

Because he had nothing to do with it. I still think Chapek is a clown and I have no faith he will be able to navigate a company like Disney through this market. But the fact is, for decades big companies like Disney and Comcast have donated to all kinds of political/special interest groups. Some of these stakeholders happened to vote for a bill banning talking about sexual identity (including straight/cis) in public schools below 4th grade. This is very different than premeditated donations toward groups KNOWING they marginalize minority populations.

Now, if you want to re-evaluate where Disney/Comcast dollars go AFTER knowing who supports what, then absolutely. But to take a group of politicians’ decisions out on the parks is to harm the huge populations of LGBTQ+ communities working the frontlines.
Yeah, no. They have an enormous amount of power within the state. Their push and word means a lot. They don't get to claim to champion LGBT rights while staying silent when they're under attack.

a bill banning talking about sexual identity (including straight/cis)

The above is absolute BS as well. An amendment was attempted to change the verbiage from “sexual orientation or gender identity” to the words “human sexuality". It was voted down. They also introduced an amendment that would've outed LGBT students. The Gov's rep is currently calling those who oppose the bill pedophiles. It's a straight-up attack on the LGBT community plain & simple.

is to harm the huge populations of LGBTQ+ communities working the frontlines.
LGBT CMs and TMs are actively being harmed by these companies with their role in this bill. They're speaking up against these companies themselves. You don't get to use them as a shield for the parks.

---

It's silly to act like Disney doesn't know who they're funding:

And it's silly to act like Disney lacks any power in this state:

And it's silly to try to use the LGBT employees as a shield when they're speaking out:

Last edited:

I'm not sure I really understand this last paragraph, it contradicts itself. I and many others have re-evaluated where Disney/Comcast dollars go and they clearly are (in some small part) going to homophobic and transphobic politicians. Why would I spend money (especially on any disingenuous pride merch) when that money may go towards those politicians. I don't see how that affects LGBT team members.

But the fact is, for decades big companies like Disney and Comcast have donated to all kinds of political/special interest groups.
Jumping back in since new news has come out. These companies don't get to fund shady bills and then give a PR donation & statement after the fact.

NBCUniversal was one of the few companies that heavily advertised and aired LGBT content along with Paramount. However, one thing i have heard from many people in regards to Universal is many members of in leadership position for USF are not as open minded as we would hope to believe, same thing for WDW. So when it comes down to corporate donations, you have to think who are the people lobbying and having the most interactions with these local florida politicians. Its likely the same ones that share the beliefs.

That makes things hard for corporate to handle things when you have big company agendas but you have little actors doing other things.

In terms of Chapek, based on the lack of comments until after the bill was passed and Desantis also saying they talked about having a meeting with no meeting lined up as well as that no one at Disney mentioned anything about this bill earlier, Chapek is doing damage control not realizing that the majority of Disney's audience is are young, progressive, and dreamers who hope for an inclusive feature at the fear of angering conservatives. However, if he really knew Disney history, Disney had protests from the same conservative groups in the 80s and early 90s and came out just fine.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Once again...These Corporations don't care about anyone let alone LGBTIQA+. But Disney statement is just a slap in the face....we dont make comment on politics, have you watched some of your movies and tv shows pretty dam well seems like you have stances but are too scared to even fight a little against what should be an easy PR win.

Posting it here since it’s somewhat HHN related, long time fan website HHNCrypt announced they will no longer support HHN or any other event or business in Florida because of the bill and that they will permanently shut down their site (or at least while this bill is still in place). I wonder if other HHN (or even Universal) fan sites/groups will follow through.

I respect the sentiment, but it feels a bit too broad and potentially ignores the large LGBTQ communities that exist here. Rather than supporting smaller businesses that stand for the cause and countering ones that don't, they choose to abstain and paint the entire situation as purely bad. I hope Boycott Florida does not catch on, despite me agreeing with the broader ideas. The people in power causing this harm will not be affected by a general Florida boycott, but smaller pro-LGBTQ ones will.

Reactions: pumpkinbot343
I respect the sentiment, but it feels a bit too broad and potentially ignores the large LGBTQ communities that exist here. Rather than supporting smaller businesses that stand for the cause and countering ones that don't, they choose to abstain and paint the entire situation as purely bad. I hope Boycott Florida does not catch on, despite me agreeing with the broader ideas. The people in power causing this harm will not be affected by a general Florida boycott, but smaller pro-LGBTQ ones will.

Absolutely agree with this, feels performative imo. If they really cared about the LGBT issues in Florida why not raise awareness and help smaller causes. You can Boycott Universal and still support and give voices to the people who actually need it.

Once again...These Corporations don't care about anyone let alone LGBTIQA+

Saying the Corpos don't care is missing the entire point. If they didn't care the companies and their shareholders wouldn't be putting money towards these kinds of things. Personally I conflate Comcast's funding to be a direct stance against the LGBT community. These things are not just chosen at random, they're direct reflections of the people making those monetary decisions.

Ok look.. I just signed up after lurking anonymously for years so take what i say however you will...and know i did not sign up just to be censored, banned and deleted...just saying this because im speaking out against a MOD and those that do tend to be silenced.
Now on to my rebuttal here.
We have to quit trying to change everything just cause your offended by something. Halloween is supposed to be offensive and Shocking! If you cant handle stupid fake crap in life you need help im afraid ...let things be they way they were intended and stop looking for things to be offended by and just go with the experience... if you feel you need to change crap then you are the problem cause there will be those that think its ridiculous.. imagine people complaining hhn is too scary then guess what uni will make it lame.. if you love the event enjoy what they bring us instead of trying to change the narrative.
I am glad we have these forums to discuss things like this because if we didnt we will never get a chance to understand one another. Im not trying to sound like an ass i really am trying to only say dont ruin something that is so freakin good! ( by that i mean keep politics and real life out of it!)
Just let us enjoy the pure Halloween event for now.. cause we all know its inevitable that universal will eventually ruin it with censorship and political sjw crap..just not yet I hope.

Uh...dude? It's not about being offended by something, it is about taking things away that shouldn't be in a HHN because its not a topic to be taken as some joke or scare. IE, women or men in cages, sexual harassment, racism, groping...Etc. It wouldn't be ruining anything to change parts of something that are really messed up or wrong. and It's not 'stupid fake crap', it's something that is a serious subject. And it is causing people to be needlessly hurt, like actors being groped.

To make sure people are safe and everyone can have a good time, well that's just basic human decency and kindness.

Absolutely agree with this, feels performative imo. If they really cared about the LGBT issues in Florida why not raise awareness and help smaller causes. You can Boycott Universal and still support and give voices to the people who actually need it.

Saying the Corpos don't care is missing the entire point. If they didn't care the companies and their shareholders wouldn't be putting money towards these kinds of things. Personally I conflate Comcast's funding to be a direct stance against the LGBT community. These things are not just chosen at random, they're direct reflections of the people making those monetary decisions.
What I mean is they don't care about people in general. Like they dont give a dam what is good for you or not. They want to control society and make as much money as they can. They don't care about LGBTIQA+ which is true and why they gladly cloud chase with many moves but in real life many of which are funding old school crappy bills and not wanting to move forward with the world