Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Illumination land?

Sep 26, 2020
I was looking to see if anyone has done any for it yet but wanted to make one for illumination land and wanted to know if anyone knows what coming next I'm guessing the removal parisian courtyard for a attraction

Its Speculation for now and that area is used for HHN so not sure if it would be next to go.

I would rather see the French Street Bistro and those buildings become something...but the only thing I could see is Sing because of the space and the fact unless we are getting a Seuss ride the not much else they can add unless its another Minions ride

Heard some very interesting stuff about the next illumination project.
Not sure what you've heard, but I have it on good authority that Universal has chosen either Sing or Minions for a new attraction. Not sure on that though, could be Hop ;)

So unless they take out the part of silly funland where the water park is and then all the buildings to the right of that where the little restaurant is there really isn't much room in that area for a ride.

A 3D show i could see that but would rather a ride, so hope they do take out parts of Silly funland and the restaurant to give us something new, do another V Q ride so you don't have to waste much space on the Q.

Unless they decide to put a small dark ride in the Parisian space (in the way the original plans for SLoP called for with the queue at the first floor and ride on the second), I hope they leave Parisian courtyard alone. It provides a nice HHN venue and extra "breathing space" at the park. I would prefer not to see another 3D show.

I would personally love to see a suspended dark ride akin to Sesame Street in Universal Singapore go where that Bakery and VIP dining area are. They would have to push out the building space a little more to make it happen, but they could do it. You'd be surprised at how tiny the show building is for the Sesame Street ride at Singapore.

Unless they decide to put a small dark ride in the Parisian space (in the way the original plans for SLoP called for with the queue at the first floor and ride on the second), I hope they leave Parisian courtyard alone. It provides a nice HHN venue and extra "breathing space" at the park. I would prefer not to see another 3D show.

I would personally love to see a suspended dark ride akin to Sesame Street in Universal Singapore go where that Bakery and VIP dining area are. They would have to push out the building space a little more to make it happen, but they could do it. You'd be surprised at how tiny the show building is for the Sesame Street ride at Singapore.
Agreed besides its a great place for a maze, its a really nice area to eat or relax in and they have the room over at the VIP area/Restaurant. They can also take out the water park near the Silly land entrance and maybe put a small water area in the back of Silly Fun Land or just another playground. But especially if the area will be used for a family ride its a worthy trade

So was looking a how much land the water Park and Restaurant takes up, easily a full ride can go in that space. So hoping that is what they use over Mels Dinner/eating area

looking at how much land the water Park and Restaurant takes up, easily a full ride can go in that space.
The issue with the Super Silly Fun Land area you have to remember is that it literally sits on top of the Frankenstein parking garage. I'm sure Minion Mayhem rumbling doesn't help I believe they had wanted to put another SSFL ride in that area, but structural integrity & whatnot.

As for an Illumination Land.... here is what you have to look at- The IPs available, which are very limited since DM & PETS are used.

- SING (2016 & sequel Dec 2021)
- HOP (2011 easter movie)
- THE LORAX (2012 Seuss)

- THE GRINCH :)puke:2018)

Personally, I wish PETS had been built over by Animal Actors because the synergy of adoption/rescues would blend nicely.

SING will most likely happen, but would they do a live actor show like Japan or an animatronic Country Bears show like Disney? Maintenance would be hell, but maybe give it a holiday overlay too?

HOP i LOVE it & it was the best unit in Orlando's Superstar Parade before PETS sadly replaced it. As for our park, could a holiday based ride exist year round?

Like "HOP", the animated remake of "The Grinch" runs into the same "holiday" issue. Unless they just recycle IOA's Seuss Landing "Sleigh Coaster" concept Mount Crumpit in Parisian Courtyard ???

THE LORAX is not exactly a woo-hoo movie, but..... again, use the shelved IOA Seuss Landing concept???

As an added side-note, "Super Mario" will be released in 2022 (perfect timing for Nintendo World)

Last edited:
The issue with the Super Silly Fun Land area you have to remember is that it literally sits on top of the Frankenstein parking garage. I'm sure Minion Mayhem rumbling doesn't help I believe they had wanted to put another SSFL ride in that area, but structural integrity & whatnot.

As for an Illumination Land.... here is what you have to look at- The IPs available, which are very limited since DM & PETS are used.

- SING (2016 & sequel Dec 2021)
- HOP (2011 easter movie)
- THE LORAX (2012 Seuss)

- THE GRINCH :)puke:2018)

Personally, I wish PETS had been built over by Animal Actors because the synergy of adoption/rescues would blend nicely.

SING will most likely happen, but would they do a live actor show like Japan or an animatronic Country Bears show like Disney? Maintenance would be hell, but maybe give it a holiday overlay too?

HOP i LOVE it & it was the best unit in Orlando's Superstar Parade before PETS sadly replaced it. As for our park, could a holiday based ride exist year round?

Like "HOP", the animated remake of "The Grinch" runs into the same "holiday" issue. Unless they just recycle IOA's Seuss Landing "Sleigh Coaster" concept Mount Crumpit in Parisian Courtyard ???

THE LORAX is not exactly a woo-hoo movie, but..... again, use the shelved IOA Seuss Landing concept???

As an added side-note, "Super Mario" will be released in 2022 (perfect timing for Nintendo World)
I'd use the watepark area as the Q its bigger than i remember and for sure could be a great space for that. Then use the building you have and just build up a little and boom easily another "dark ride" could fir there

If Pets has shown anything, its that you don't need a large queue. Atleast in the sense that it has to cover a large space.

Id honestly tear down Parisian, and use the half on French Street and the Moulin Rouge/VIP dining hall for Sing. Opens up a large entrance path for easier access for Super Silly Fun Land, DMMM, and Pets. Tear down the Pets Place side, and that could allow the reworked entrance to do its job.

I wish Universal would give the Despicable Me/Minions franchise a proper ride, its one of their biggest properties! Ideas:
  • A retheme of Minions to Sing and building new by animals actors/Parisian Courtyard
  • Scrapping the Minions building entirely and starting new.
  • Keeping Minion Mayhem as is and have TWO Despicable Me themed rides in the park. Like SWGE, WWHP Orlando, and SNW Japan.

I wish Universal would give the Despicable Me/Minions franchise a proper ride, its one of their biggest properties! Ideas:
  • A retheme of Minions to Sing and building new by animals actors/Parisian Courtyard
  • Scrapping the Minions building entirely and starting new.
  • Keeping Minion Mayhem as is and have TWO Despicable Me themed rides in the park. Like SWGE, WWHP Orlando, and SNW Japan.
To me a Minions Dark ride makes the most sense...I know the Sing show is cheaper but those kinda shows always die way before rides.

I hope Disney and Universal see that its better to just have a stage to put shows on with actors or a ride over Country Bears/Muppets 3D and so on

The fact that they reused Minion Mayhem for Universal Beijing shows that we're probably never getting a Despicable Me dark ride. Universal treats Jurassic Park wonderfully in the parks. Despicable Me and Fast & Furious though? Lol

Its probably because Dinosaurs are a relatively easy thing to get down right to be fair. And its just generally more interesting than "grounded" Street racing and a pretty generic kid's franchise. Hell, Minion Mayhem is missing Lucy, making it really outdated.

Anyway, back on topic. If I were to do a Despicable Me dark ride, I'd just go with something revolving the Gru family turning their home into an exhibit or something to that matter. However, some freak accident will cause the house's inner robotic mechanisms to go haywire. Therefore, Gru, Lucy and the girls will have to fix it before it's too late.

I hope Disney and Universal see that its better to just have a stage to put shows on with actors or a ride over Country Bears/Muppets 3D and so on
Except you forget that live actors means $$$$$ to pay them. Country Bears is/was a classic and it'd be the perfect example of what Universal could do with SING. Plus they could reprogram new songs over time (cheaper than rehearsals with actors). As well as a holiday overlay.

The park does need live entertainment of the musical variety outside of Frog Choir. While SING could fill this void, I still want Beetlejuice's Graveyard Revue back

If we're purging Parisian Courtyard, at least relocate Mulligans accordingly. The park needs to keep its only "full bar" outside of Moes/Hogshead

Except you forget that live actors means $$$$$ to pay them. Country Bears is/was a classic and it'd be the perfect example of what Universal could do with SING. Plus they could reprogram new songs over time (cheaper than rehearsals with actors). As well as a holiday overlay.

The park does need live entertainment of the musical variety outside of Frog Choir. While SING could fill this void, I still want Beetlejuice's Graveyard Revue back

If we're purging Parisian Courtyard, at least relocate Mulligans accordingly. The park needs to keep its only "full bar" outside of Moes/Hogshead
Country Bear and many older Disney shows are in a league of their own.

Sing is not that, it doesn't even have its own music its just what is popular or funny. That gets old fast, I'm just hoping its a ride we have too many "shows" as is and the park needs more rides or i'll even take an attractions like the nintendo raids over more shows.

You're strictly looking at the film through a narrow lense. There is no reason original music/songs couldn't be created for a SING attraction. Also, even if it used popular music, it'd be what Universal already owns through their music department (unless they pay for it). And again, as I mentioned before, the music can be changed out periodically so it doesn't "get old".

The park doesn't have "too many" shows, it ONLY has 3 venues + Potter's mini stage. Currently it has zero shows thanks to the pandemic. But not everything needs to be a ride. Nor should it be because not every IP is suitable to be one. You have to think about the guests that don't do rides for any particular reason.

Universal doesn't need to become Six Flags & be filled with rides. It is a movie studio/theme park that identifies as the "entertainment capital of LA", not "thrill capital".

Forget about blue skying DM, it isn't changing & I'd rather not see it expanded. I've already listed your other Illumination choices- 2 holiday films & a tree hugger. If this were a DreamWorks Land, there are so many more options.