Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb

Hulk is *significantly* more intense than RNRC. That can’t even be debated. I grey out nearly every ride during the first few elements. Nothing on RNRC comes close to that. Plus after the launch and first 2 inversions, RNRC aid a big nothing burger
Really? I've never grayed out on Hulk

It is a standard B&M in terms of intensity IMO (see: Kumba, Rougarou, Kraken, etc)

Really? I've never grayed out on Hulk

It is a standard B&M in terms of intensity IMO (see: Kumba, Rougarou, Kraken, etc)

I’m in the same boat as Skip. Yeah, B&M layouts are all kinda the same, but the upwards launch on Hulk gives you so much speed going into the first few elements, it’s like 20 seconds of prolonged and intense positive Gs. I gray out in the beginning, or at least start to. I’ve ridden more than half the B&Ms on the east coast and I only gray out on the helix on Nitro for the same reason.

Everyone will describe intensity differently. But if sustained positive Gs is what gets you, Hulk is definitely intense.

I’m in the same boat as Skip. Yeah, B&M layouts are all kinda the same, but the upwards launch on Hulk gives you so much speed going into the first few elements, it’s like 20 seconds of prolonged and intense positive Gs. I gray out in the beginning, or at least start to. I’ve ridden more than half the B&Ms on the east coast and I only gray out on the helix on Nitro for the same reason.

Everyone will describe intensity differently. But if sustained positive Gs is what gets you, Hulk is definitely intense.

Ha! I grey out on Nitro's helix too.

I "gray out" on Hulk almost every single time, a few seconds after the launch. Happened in my teens, still happens now in my 30s, and I've never had it happen on another coaster. Not sure if that's a scientific test of intensity, but certainly says something about G forces moving blood out of my brain

I "gray out" on Hulk almost every single time, a few seconds after the launch. Happened in my teens, still happens now in my 30s, and I've never had it happen on another coaster. Not sure if that's a scientific test of intensity, but certainly says something about G forces moving blood out of my brain

You aren't alone. I always grey out during those first inversions.

Can someone explain "grey out"? I've blacked out many times (usually due to alcohol) but I've never heard this term before.

Sounds like something I should investigate with the help of beer or certain other chemicals... :cheers:

Can someone explain "grey out"? I've blacked out many times (usually due to alcohol) but I've never heard this term before.

Sounds like something I should investigate with the help of beer or certain other chemicals... :cheers:

Alcohol leads to a "brown out" or "black out".

Greying out could be described as slightly blacking out. For myself, it's when my field of vision narrows and/or completely cuts out though I can still hear and feel the coaster. Only one coaster does that to me and it's actually a family coaster. No idea why I'm susceptible on that ride. Sometimes, it's almost like a grey screen closing off my vision. A key difference could be that you can remember everything that happened while you were greying out whereas brown-outs/black-outs result in not being able to remember (as I understand it although I haven't experienced either).

Sometimes, it's almost like a grey screen closing off my vision. A key difference could be that you can remember everything that happened while you were greying out whereas brown-outs/black-outs result in not being able to remember (as I understand it although I haven't experienced either).

I want this so bad! How do you get it? Gs? Hitting your head back and forth on restraints?

Weirdly I was discussing this today. I’ve never greyed out on any coaster but I have on Hulk twice. It was so strange, like my eyes were closing from the bottom up. Not being a Florida native I originally out it down to a mixture of intensity and the sudden wave of heat that hits you after the air conditioned launch. I’ve certainty been on much more intense rides and not felt anything remotely similar

I want this so bad! How do you get it? Gs? Hitting your head back and forth on restraints?

Not sure how to induce a grayout, but those who want to prevent it, try tightening your upper body while holding your breath for a few seconds, then relax and breathe out at the same time. Repeat that before and throughout the element that's causing the grayout. It was discussed on a Mythbusters episode. Skip to the 4:00 mark.

Hmmm after reading the description I now know that I have greyed out when absorbing a hard tackle in football that spun me around...didn't close my eyes but didn't see anything for a second :)

Intense and prolonged positive Gs (the ones that push you down into the seat). Essentially, it makes it harder for blood to pump up toward the top of your body. When your eyes don’t have enough blood/oxygen, you start to lose vision. For me, it closes it on all sides like the big circle at the end of a cartoon lol. Graying out is a side effect pretty exclusive to roller coasters and jet planes, which makes sense when you think about how many inversions are modeled/named after aerial tricks, like an Immelmann.

Incredible Hulk coaster at Universal's Islands of Adventure, Orlando, 2016. : rollercoasters

k9auge1vg9441.jpg

Holy hell what a photo!

Just a few tidbits. This ride is still King. While it’s a little rough. It’s still the most exciting ride at the park (sorry Hagrid).
However, the metal detectors almost completely ruin the experience. They back up so quickly, mostly due to people ignoring multiple warnings. Frankly; they almost deter you from wanting to ride completely. That being said...love this ride so much.

Just a few tidbits. This ride is still King. While it’s a little rough. It’s still the most exciting ride at the park (sorry Hagrid).
However, the metal detectors almost completely ruin the experience. They back up so quickly, mostly due to people ignoring multiple warnings. Frankly; they almost deter you from wanting to ride completely. That being said...love this ride so much.
Yes, fun coaster. Strangely, it's actually not as rough now as it was after the first year of the refurb....Metal detectors are a pain. Had a few coins in my pocket that I forgot about, so they ended up in the donation box. Fortunately the delay isn't as bad on the days the park's not real crowded, like it was yesterday.