Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Is it a "Water Theme Park"?!?

It's just a question of how you do the tech. Those busbars and computers can't get soaked. Not to say it's impossible, but it would probably involve some wort of trackless tech where all of the ride vehicle components are sealed, but can somehow recharge at the station. Of course, we've seen how well the trackless tech has worked so far.

No problem- just use the rivers of light guys
:p

For me for it to truly earn that title with only a few exceptions there should be no visible slides. Slides should be embedded into mountains or other themed elements to explain what you are on rather than just a slide. I also think it should have a few more things than just slides and pools. These could be things like a flume ride, raft ride, boat ride, dark ride and/or shows.

As I was thinking. Volcano Bay would have to have a Roller Coaster of some kind or a few simulators, walk through attractions for it to be a Theme Park of any kind in my book. It's a water park that is themed,highly themed. At Least if I pay $100 for IOA,Universal, Any of the 4 Disney Parks, I know I'm getting multiple types of attractions (granted many repetitive) . I pay a $100 at Volcano Bay and they are all water based slides.Nothing wrong with that, but it does not make it a theme park. However Having thematic elements such as show scenes, characters, street performances, restaurant (Sit down), and guess interaction adventures does help Universal tout it as a theme park.

I imagine it would be irritating to go on a coaster wearing shorts and sitting on a wet seat.

A dark ride wouldn't necessarily have to be trackless either. While something like spider man would be incredible- they could also do something more like Kong. And by that I mean it can be a slow expedition boat ride that parks on hydraulic bags/platforms for screen/show effects and the thrill there- a la Kong. But they could do drops with it as well like pirates or splash.
It could be plenty thrilling and not be trackless. They just have to have the desire and will. But thrilling will be what sets it apart.

I imagine it would be irritating to go on a coaster wearing shorts and sitting on a wet seat.
japanese-spa-amusement-park.jpg

The vertical loops are breathtaking.

Second time you posted about that? Trying to lead us horses to water?
Nah, just a humorous dream I had about the water coaster having a backward section and a big scary (working) AA.

(AFAIK the water coaster does not have a backward section or a big AA. I just think that'd be cool. Oh, and I like my clever name for the AA.)

For me for it to truly earn that title with only a few exceptions there should be no visible slides.
This is a good point, I don't think the people driving down I-4 and seeing this view are going to be sitting in their car saying "oh look, it's a theme park" when they see bright green and yellow slides.

I can actually tell you what makes it a water theme park (in Universal's eyes anyways). I took their traning class last week called Universal and U and they actually had a whole section for this very subject. I guess they were getting this question a lot. Basically it comes down to three things.

1. Next level themeing and storytelling which is "unlike anything seen in a water based park before."

2. The technology being used in the park is beyond anything you would find in a water park.

3. It's a FULL day experience. Unlike most water parks where you only spend about half a day there they really wanted us to know that Volcano Bay would take as long as a theme park to do.

I can actually tell you what makes it a water theme park (in Universal's eyes anyways). I took their traning class last week called Universal and U and they actually had a whole section for this very subject. I guess they were getting this question a lot. Basically it comes down to three things.

1. Next level themeing and storytelling which is "unlike anything seen in a water based park before."

2. The technology being used in the park is beyond anything you would find in a water park.

3. It's a FULL day experience. Unlike most water parks where you only spend about half a day there they really wanted us to know that Volcano Bay would take as long as a theme park to do.
"1. & 2. Next level theming and tech."

So far, we have "Tappy, Tappy", and a big volcano. UC has to have something up their sleeve. @Teebin?

This is a good point, I don't think the people driving down I-4 and seeing this view are going to be sitting in their car saying "oh look, it's a theme park" when they see bright green and yellow slides.
I think one or two in some instances are okay, especially if they're more extreme. To me it's the equivalent of Hulk in IOA. You can have one or two exposed coasters in a theme park and most people will forgive that, if your theme park is comprised almost entirely of exposed coasters most are going to just call it an amusement park. To me the same is true with a water park, if you're going for the title of water theme park the overwhelming majority of the attractions need to actually be themed.

I think at the end of the day that they are trying to avoid another IOA situation where people think this is just a small part of USF or IOA..Or worse, a rename of Wet N' Wild..

I would like to see a dark ride like Holiday World's Gobbler Getaway, but with rafts instead of vehicles on tracks. The ride could even have sections that shoot water back at you.

I'm kind of surprised there isn't a zip line off the volcano - even if it didn't end with a splash landing, it would be one of the highest, if not the highest zip line in the Orlando area.

Undoubtedly but manufacturers have gone there before

They had something very similar to this in the waterpark section of Hershey Park but they tore it down a few years ago. Not sure why they got rid of it but I remember that the capacity was awful and the thrills were minimal.