Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

Was there ever a reason given why they changed the rhino scene? Were there negative stereotypes that I wasn't picking up on or did Disney just re-do it for the sake of giving the more of the ride a refresh?

Was there ever a reason given why they changed the rhino scene? Were there negative stereotypes that I wasn't picking up on or did Disney just re-do it for the sake of giving the more of the ride a refresh?
Pretty sure it was done to show more diversity in general.

I could be wrong, but I believe in Disneyland's version, the safari party was more blatantly stereotypical (similar to the Trader Sam situation, where DL's was definitely a... well, let's say a much more dated interpretation of the character). And since modern Disney loves splitting costs between resorts whenever it can, WDW's scene gets the change, as well.

As I said, I think it looks solid. The new characters are still in a heightened Marc Davis style, and -- as of now -- the narration has not significantly changed. If a first-time guest were to ride past the scene, they wouldn't have any indication it hadn't always been like that.

More often than not, that’s the case with ANY change to an attraction. That’s one of the things fans tend to forget.

Sure, but there are ways to update things that achieve that and also feel at-home and organic to people who already love the attraction. These Jungle Cruise updates (so far -- again, we don't know how the spiel may ultimately change the "story" of the ride) appear to strike that balance.

There have been other updates in the past (we can even go way back to something like Under New Management) that have not.

Sure, but there are ways to update things that achieve that and also feel at-home and organic to people who already love the attraction. These Jungle Cruise updates (so far -- again, we don't know how the spiel may ultimately change the "story" of the ride) appear to strike that balance.

There have been other updates in the past (we can even go way back to something like Under New Management) that have not.
But what if they want something drastically different? A lot of fans didn’t like New Management specifically because it was so different. They couldn’t (wouldn’t) appreciate the difference was the whole point.

I’m fairly confident the new script is going to be begrudgingly accepted by fans because the classic jokes will still exist but they won’t want to like it because it’s any change. Then, in a year, no one will care.

But what if they want something drastically different? A lot of fans didn’t like New Management specifically because it was so different. They couldn’t (wouldn’t) appreciate the difference was the whole point.

I’m fairly confident the new script is going to be begrudgingly accepted by fans because the classic jokes will still exist but they won’t want to like it because it’s any change. Then, in a year, no one will care.

I'm reluctant to treat "the fans" as a monolith. I can only account for my own preferences.

I completely forgot about the scene it replaced (and I thought just the Trader Sam part was insensitive), and I like this a lot better

I think it's a good-looking scene, though I do hope there will be some sort of animated figures going in there, since we've already got one new "unoccupied money-making shack" scene with the Trader Sam replacement.

Looks good. Disney should continue to update attractions with the balance of something new with the legacy of maintaining the tradition of the original vision. Certainly difficult but those who think these attractions are museum pieces are wrong. Everything changes.

I'm not a fan of what they did to the hippo pool (I think it's a bit too busy looking now), but everything else looks great. Script changes will get better as skippers get better at changing them/finding out what people think is funny in the new stuff
Is there some other place showing more changes than what was in that link I posted? I didn't think they'd debuted any of the new script yet at WDW.

Everything looks great and I enjoy the second level of gag added to the stranded safari gag. Not a fan of Kim's "well no one caaaaared about them before we gave them a backstory!" excuse but whatever. JC script always molds to better jokes a few weeks after WDI stops paying attention.