Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 929 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read some comments about the restrictions regarding guests with waistlines larger than 40in. I know this come up with every new ride but people are upset and claim Universal is fat shaming people. I know this is a controversial subject but shouldn’t ride designers look at these things a little more closely?
They are, and that's what has led to this current generation of seat and restraint. Intamin mentioned in a lawsuit that their previous lap bar and seat design found on rides like Millennium Force was designed for a rider that's around 150 pounds and in the 5'5" height range. Flashforward to today, the new generation of seat and restraint has doubled the rider weight without sacrificing security for smaller guests.

The inherent design challenge with making something "bigboy"-friendly is that once you make the restraints large enough to facilitate larger body dimensions, you start to run into an issue of the restraints not conforming to smaller or younger guests. So they aimed to find a middle ground that alienates as few riders as possible.

I read some comments about the restrictions regarding guests with waistlines larger than 40in. I know this come up with every new ride but people are upset and claim Universal is fat shaming people. I know this is a controversial subject but shouldn’t ride designers look at these things a little more closely?
Are there theme parks in the US that have these kind of intensive rides where guests with a bigger waist are being safely allowed on a ride?
Sure a tamer ride could get larger guests in there but than it wouldn't be the ride the park wants to offer.
I started intermittent fasting (and soon went for OMAD (One Meal A Day). I lost 28 kilo in 7 month and my arthritis and general health are much improved due to the benefits of fasting (mainly autophagy). Maybe this helps.

They are, and that's what has led to this current generation of seat and restraint. Intamin mentioned in a lawsuit that their previous lap bar and seat design found on rides like Millennium Force was designed for a rider that's around 150 pounds and in the 5'5" height range. Flashforward to today, the new generation of seat and restraint has doubled the rider weight without sacrificing security for smaller guests.

The inherent design challenge with making something "bigboy"-friendly is that once you make the restraints large enough to facilitate larger body dimensions, you start to run into an issue of the restraints not conforming to smaller or younger guests. So they aimed to find a middle ground that alienates as few riders as possible.
Permission to copy and paste this message to educate some people that are curious?

Tried to explain this concept to someone on Twitter months ago. Of course he labeled it fat shaming despite the fact that it makes absolutely no sense that Universal would be trying to exclude anyone and that the height requirement is lower than expected. I used to be a moderately big boy (and my parents actually constantly fat shamed me), so I get it but I can't stand the fact that people seem to be creating a hill to die on without any context.

That's what I get for using Twitter at all though.

Reactions: UPSguy
Why exactly did they open the JW redo in Hollywood if they were just going to close it down again, pandemic or no pandemic? Makes no sense to me.

Why exactly did they open the JW redo in Hollywood if they were just going to close it down again, pandemic or no pandemic? Makes no sense to me.

They already had gone into the full-court press of marketing for the Summer when they realized there was a problem with the I-Rex in the finale - so they opened up with a temp fix with the intention to address it later (as Sail said above). During the downtime, they took the opportunity to refresh Predator Cove since that seemed to be a point of issue with fans and riders.

It all just seems so unnecessary? You can still clearly see the roller coaster behind those trees. I'm also worried it'll stop the breeze from reaching the patio

Status
Not open for further replies.