Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Kings Island General Discussion

I haven't seen any rumors for 2019 and Kings Island. In going there, I saw a large area of land out beyond The Bat that has been completely cleared. However, I'm not sure that Kings Island owns that land anymore. Plus, given that the plot of land is rectangular in nature and really far out, I'd say that this is for a building only and probably not even Kings Island's. KI's 50th anniversary will come up in 2022 and so I wonder if they'll get a coaster between then and now and what will happen for 2022.

Cedar Fair stated that Kings Island had an attendance drop for the first 6 months of this year. They also reported KI had a drop in AP holders. Seems like they need to announce a new 'significant' attraction.

It is and the Racers are still running, although really in need of some help.
We loved King's Island in the mid/late 80's/early 90's. Reminded me of Disney back then with a real nice balance of different types of attractions and shows. And the entrance with the fountains and the European themed buildings was exquisite.

Insert Giga rumor here.

That has to be expected.

Screamscape was quoting some source that RMC was touring the Racers along with a group that does special lighting. I don't know what source or how reliable Screamscape is. I know that they quote from here (and aren't good about giving credit) but I'm curious about this. Screamscape seems to get it right enough of the time to listen to. Plus, in conjunction with the comment about removing less popular rides, the Racer is never busy. Well, neither is Vortex for that matter. Both are simply really showing their age.

That has to be expected.

Screamscape was quoting some source that RMC was touring the Racers along with a group that does special lighting. I don't know what source or how reliable Screamscape is. I know that they quote from here (and aren't good about giving credit) but I'm curious about this. Screamscape seems to get it right enough of the time to listen to. Plus, in conjunction with the comment about removing less popular rides, the Racer is never busy. Well, neither is Vortex for that matter. Both are simply really showing their age.

After all the issues with SV and TT I think there’s a zero percent chance CF works with RMC again.

After all the issues with SV and TT I think there’s a zero percent chance CF works with RMC again.

You are more than likely correct. I wouldn't mind GCI getting another crack at a coaster, although I don't know what they could do with the Racers. If a rider is sitting on the first or last seats on a car, they are going to get shaken, not stirred.

You are more than likely correct. I wouldn't mind GCI getting another crack at a coaster, although I don't know what they could do with the Racers. If a rider is sitting on the first or last seats on a car, they are going to get shaken, not stirred.

Honestly, if Racer gets revamped; I can easily see it being a GCI project, similar to when Ghostrider actually got a major retrack at Knotts by them a few years back.

Insert Giga rumor here.
Not gonna happen as long as CF owns KI. They don't want to cannibalize Cedar Point.

I see this being more likely. I rode Racers and was really surprised how much the trains twisted and contorted. It was slightly concerning.

I disagree. RMC coasters haven’t had a lot issues, minus the obvious Lightning Rod. Coasters are going to have problems sometimes, it’s inevitable. Intamin is a lot worse, and park’s still work with them. RMC isn’t going anywhere.
Steel Vengance would like to talk with the trains.

Honestly, if RMC still has any involvement, the only chance would be some form of Single Rail coaster; much like Golden Lasso or Railblazer.

Steel Vengance would like to talk with the trains.

Honestly, if RMC still has any involvement, the only chance would be some form of Single Rail coaster; much like Golden Lasso or Railblazer.

I fully believe that CF gives them another chance at a hybrid coaster. If that goes badly, then I see them not using RMC again. But not this early.

Cedar Fair stated that Kings Island had an attendance drop for the first 6 months of this year. They also reported KI had a drop in AP holders. Seems like they need to announce a new 'significant' attraction.

I've been there almost every week since the start of June. The crowds weren't there until the past two weeks. However, the weather has not been conducive to going to the park. We've had a rainy summer and I think that has played a role. Major storms or washout days occurred more than usual. I arrived at 6:00 PM one evening and the place was fairly empty. Only Diamondback and Mystic Timbers had lines that day and they were less than 10 minutes long. This is spoiling me to the point that I don't know how to react to Disney's "good" wait times being 45 minutes for a ride.

I've been there almost every week since the start of June. The crowds weren't there until the past two weeks. However, the weather has not been conducive to going to the park. We've had a rainy summer and I think that has played a role. Major storms or washout days occurred more than usual. I arrived at 6:00 PM one evening and the place was fairly empty. Only Diamondback and Mystic Timbers had lines that day and they were less than 10 minutes long. This is spoiling me to the point that I don't know how to react to Disney's "good" wait times being 45 minutes for a ride.
Bad weather here too. We already have as much rainfall as a full year, and we have 4 months to go. So I can see weather affecting it negatively. Quite often what you have in Cincy, we soon end up with in Pgh.....On another note, any idea for the drop in AP holders? That was in the Cedar Fair report also.

Bad weather here too. We already have as much rainfall as a full year, and we have 4 months to go. So I can see weather affecting it negatively. Quite often what you have in Cincy, we soon end up with in Pgh.....On another note, any idea for the drop in AP holders? That was in the Cedar Fair report also.

I have no idea. The park just doesn't seem to be as popular as it used to be. I don't know if the millennial purchasing habits are driving this or what the potential underlying cause may be. This is our first year in a long time to actually get season passes and we'll probably continue next year. Regional economics have stayed pretty much the same as well. It's hard to say. I wonder if they have compared season pass purchases to new ride years. Nothing new this year and, again, next year I don't see anything new for next year either.

I have no idea. The park just doesn't seem to be as popular as it used to be. I don't know if the millennial purchasing habits are driving this or what the potential underlying cause may be. This is our first year in a long time to actually get season passes and we'll probably continue next year. Regional economics have stayed pretty much the same as well. It's hard to say. I wonder if they have compared season pass purchases to new ride years. Nothing new this year and, again, next year I don't see anything new for next year either.
This is my first year with an AP for Kennywood. When we went to the AP day only we were surprised at the crowd makeup. Probably more people over 40 than under 40. It used to be Kennywood was primarily a teenager crowd. When we've gone this summer there's been a pretty good demographic mix. Of course, all the school districts in this part of the state have about a half of the number of students that they had a couple of decades ago. That younger demo has decreased in percentages. Kennywood has a pretty decent mix of attractions, only half a dozen coasters, and most of them have been there for a long time.Even now with a new coaster coming next year, people seem more excited about the large Steeler Experience land that will be built utilizing the coaster as just one aspect of the land. ... The times I really liked Kings Island is when they had a good mix of attractions, before it became top heavy with coasters. Do you think they've become too much of a coaster park now, that would ultimately limit their demographic appeal?....One other point. Knotts was the only Cedar Fair Park that registered an attendance gain. During the last few years they've been returning the park to it's early themed roots, updating classic attractions, and diversifying it's attractions lineup. Perhaps getting away from the Coaster Park identification could be a good thing.....Just kind of guessing on all this though. Nothing but hunches to back it up.

Last edited:
Cedar Point has gotten way busier, as someone who had the time to go to parks earlier i didn’t because of the poor weather. CF’s habit of getting rid of indoor rides is biting them in the ass.

Also I legit think there’s a Giga on the way for KI.