Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Knott's Berry Farm

Among other things, I still have a hard time believing the local residents would allow such a major coaster to get so close to their homes. That turn around on the lower left is literally feet from houses. Pony Express's final turn around is just as close, and it had to be fully enclosed in a tunnel to satisfy the locals, and that ride is peanuts compared to this. Now add a 300+ foot drop right outside their windows? The first drop and turn around would have to be fully enclosed to even think about getting away with it.

I mean, I hope it's true, but that makes me fairly skeptical.

Among other things, I still have a hard time believing the local residents would allow such a major coaster to get so close to their homes. That turn around on the lower left is literally feet from houses. Pony Express's final turn around is just as close, and it had to be fully enclosed in a tunnel to satisfy the locals, and that ride is peanuts compared to this. Now add a 300+ foot drop right outside their windows? The first drop and turn around would have to be fully enclosed to even think about getting away with it.

I mean, I hope it's true, but that makes me fairly skeptical.
It's shame for the residents but they knew what they were getting into buying houses around the park and its surrounding properties and there's already homes next to xcelerator. This is the same situation as the new homes being built behind SFMM. Anyone moving in there is made aware in the documents that, there is a theme park right next to them and that the park can be open late, build whatever, and make as much noise as it wants.

The layout that has the 347 foot drop (yes, the big drop is 347 feet) is nuts. Looks like a mixture of Fury 325 and Shambala. Knotts is seemingly going for atleast NA, the tallest and fastest non launched Rollercoaster, and I think that's great (if at the expense of residentals).

If this goes forward, I have to think we are seeing this project start in January. And I'd have to think they couldn't keep a coaster this large of scale quiet for long.

Assuming it is going the way as of the October plans, it will be the biggest expansion in Knotts in years. Especially with expanding Ghosttown (if at the expense of Bird Cage), hotel renovations that should be done, and the new structures for parking. Something, especially in the terms of parking, is probably the longest overdue project for Knotts.

I'd be shocked if we don't hear of it in the next two months publicly.

Last edited:
It's shame for the residents but they knew what they were getting into buying houses around the park and its surrounding properties and there's already homes next to xcelerator. This is the same situation as the new homes being built behind SFMM. Anyone moving in there is made aware in the documents that, there is a theme park right next to them and that the park can be open late, build whatever, and make as much noise as it wants.

I think there's a difference between knowing you bought a house near an amusement park, but at least a parking lot separates you, as had for decades. It's quite another to have a 300+ ft drop face and drop into your backyard. It's not only a noise intrusion, but a visual one as well.

Those homes behind SFMM are much further away than the homes are at Knott's, by comparison. There's a road, a giant hill, and an elevation change between the homes and the park. Knott's literally has one street. It's got to be less than 100 feet away, on the same level. It's not the same comparison. You'd literally be able to see into people's backyards from the first drop, so you have a privacy issue as well.

I think there's a difference between knowing you bought a house near an amusement park, but at least a parking lot separates you, as had for decades. It's quite another to have a 300+ ft drop face and drop into your backyard. It's not only a noise intrusion, but a visual one as well.

Those homes behind SFMM are much further away than the homes are at Knott's, by comparison. There's a road, a giant hill, and an elevation change between the homes and the park. Knott's literally has one street. It's got to be less than 100 feet away, on the same level. It's not the same comparison. You'd literally be able to see into people's backyards from the first drop, so you have a privacy issue as well.

I'd still argue that they would be aware of the sound, considering Xcellerator is on the other side of the park, and they do have to deal with Ghostrider to some extent. I also think, that this shouldn't be a problem. Not as much for the coaster itself (I do think riders might be the problem ever so softly); as modern B&M gigas like Orion and Fury 325, for as far as I'm aware, has it's track and supports filled internally with sand. To intentionally reduce that of noise.

Guessing for key aspects, they are keeping sound in mind, but I do genuinely think sound might not be as much of a problem here. Especially with how many people go over to that side anyhow, what not with the sounds of the hotel and the sounds of the nearby lots.

I still disagree... Xcelerator and Ghostrider are much further away from residential, the sounds and screams are much more distant. This would literally be in their backyard, and how would you damper the screams from guests that would literally be directly facing the homes from such a short distance away? Unless the entire drop was put in a tunnel, but then, what's the point?

Even Pony Express, a much smaller ride, was forced to enclose the final turn around because of residential complaints, as that's right were the housing begins to directly abut the park. You can literally see in the pics from post #1, 021 where the residential starts on the southwest corner of the park. Xcelorator is adjacent to a parking lot and business, not homes. This is directly adjacent.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have this ride. Looks amazing. But I feel it's (yet again) wishful thinking of enthusiasts not seeing the problems this would create for the park.

I still disagree... Xcelerator and Ghostrider are much further away from residential, the sounds and screams are much more distant. This would literally be in their backyard, and how would you damper the screams from guests that would literally be directly facing the homes from such a short distance away? Unless the entire drop was put in a tunnel, but then, what's the point?

Even Pony Express, a much smaller ride, was forced to enclose the final turn around because of residential complaints, as that's right were the housing begins to directly abut the park. You can literally see in the pics from post #1, 021 where the residential starts on the southwest corner of the park. Xcelorator is adjacent to a parking lot and business, not homes. This is directly adjacent.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have this ride. Looks amazing. But I feel it's (yet again) wishful thinking of enthusiasts not seeing the problems this would create for the park.
Don’t see much of a problem except for that small cluster of homes on Western and Crescent Ave. Which those homeowners, have no say in the matter.

At the end of the day this is all rumors. This coaster would make more sense as a hyper versus a Giga. Seems to big to fit into this area and I’m afraid the layout is too short like Orion.

Don’t see much of a problem except for that small cluster of homes on Western and Crescent Ave. Which those homeowners, have no say in the matter.

At the end of the day this is all rumors. This coaster would make more sense as a hyper versus a Giga. Seems to big to fit into this area and I’m afraid the layout is too short like Orion.
This will be interesting to see how the neighbors take this. I know they had to build a scream-shield over Ghostrider's drop, so I'm not sure if they're gonna take this well. But I hope they can get this approved.

Well, now this is now a little more than a rumor. Knott's could really use a big coaster like this as the park is going to need to increase capacity to absorb all of those jaded former DL APers. As for the layout, it seems about right. It only looks short because you can't see the hills and elevation changes the layout will be going through. I think this is about right.

Also, is no one going to talk about how they're going to be able to fit some of the supports for the lift hill right through that giant storage facility? That to me is pretty surprising that they're able to do that.

If the coaster doesn't happen then I really HOPE we get the ghost town expansion. Connecting the dead end by Ghost Rider to Mystery Lodge would be a GAME CHANGER for the park.

Those homeowners have less of a say in this than you would think. And this is coming from someone who used to be one of them. They can demand certain changes be made and they can order a noise analysis ( I'm betting CF has already done this), but they cannot stop a coaster from being built...not on their own anyway.

Those homeowners have less of a say in this than you would think. And this is coming from someone who used to be one of them. They can demand certain changes be made and they can order a noise analysis ( I'm betting CF has already done this), but they cannot stop a coaster from being built...not on their own anyway.

That'd have to be something done with county government in agreement, yes? That's my assumption anyhow. Considering the pandemic hitting SoCal hard, I see little reason to why politicians would want to veto big large-scale additions in the tourism sector, such as Disneyland Forward and Knott's Giga, to bring in additional income back to the California region.

Getting back to the giga, I am...truth be told, curious to know what exactly the theme is on this. With the close proximation of Ghost Town, the western motif is sure to be still in play; but I wonder if the coaster might have either a supernatural theme, or something tying into the Boysenberry plant.

We know they are adding not just the parking structure at Knott's Hotel, something noticed when you look in the October Permit, so perhaps they're wanting to make this coaster the icon of the west side? More so than even Ghostrider is? This feels like an opportune chance to reinvigorate the park completely, and to ensure that it can be seen from far and wide. Especially with it being much taller than the Sky Cabin or Windseeker ever could; it'll mark as one of the most prominent aspects once guests arrive.

Dare I ask--might this finally bring the discussion to play on the future of the current esplanade. Because when Fury 325 opened at Carrowinds, they had to redo their entire parking setup as-well, even going as far for them due to the coaster interaction of redoing the entrance esplanade. I do not ask if it could be possible on them getting rid of the entrance building, but maybe this might be their chance on redoing the security and ticket booths in the process? If they're going to tackle the infrastructural elements of parking then it'd stance best to assume that the entrance gates would get a rework of some kind.

Actually, the homeowners may have more say than you think. In 1996, when Supreme Scream opened, they complained about the noise the ride was making, got the Mayor involved, and Knott's had to fix it by adding diffusers to the ride. See the article here: Piping Down at Knott's

And while I couldn't find a news article about it, it's pretty well known that the final turn around on Pony Express was a response to neighborhood noise complaints.

So if they got the city involved again, things could certainly change. It's happened before, twice. And this plan is way, way more extreme (from a resident point of view) than the other two combined.

Actually, the homeowners may have more say than you think. In 1996, when Supreme Scream opened, they complained about the noise the ride was making, got the Mayor involved, and Knott's had to fix it by adding diffusers to the ride. See the article here: Piping Down at Knott's

And while I couldn't find a news article about it, it's pretty well known that the final turn around on Pony Express was a response to neighborhood noise complaints.

So if they got the city involved again, things could certainly change. It's happened before, twice. And this plan is way, way more extreme (from a resident point of view) than the other two combined.

Once again though, I'd argue if California was in pre-covid aspects now, I do agree that they would probably of cracked down on Knotts, when it comes to the subject.

But with the state economy at the tourism level not being ideal? I can see people being a bit more leanient. Doesn't mean it still couldn't get the group reception, but from what I understand, these plans would've had to be put up towards scrutiny as it stands. Especially considering they have made multiple iterations.