Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Knott's Berry Farm

Once again though, I'd argue if California was in pre-covid aspects now, I do agree that they would probably of cracked down on Knotts, when it comes to the subject.

But with the state economy at the tourism level not being ideal? I can see people being a bit more leanient. Doesn't mean it still couldn't get the group reception, but from what I understand, these plans would've had to be put up towards scrutiny as it stands. Especially considering they have made multiple iterations.
Good point. Parks like Disneyland and Knott’s have much more leverage now after being closed for over a year. Even had Anaheim practically begging Newsom to allow Disneyland to open after the devastation it was causing to businesses and residents.

^Google Earth is a single snapshot. These people have coaster riders looking into their backyard every few minutes all day long, nearly 365. How is that the same?

I see both sides of the argument with the noise issue. However, I'm leaning a little more towards the city of Buena Park siding with Knott's in this case. After being shut down for over a year, the city will probably favor a company that can bring in that tourism dough. Sorry neighbors.

Plus, if the neighbors raise a big enough stink about the noise and privacy issues, worst-case scenario, they could just add Scream shields like Europa Park did for Silver Star. Disney also did that for Screamin' at DCA.
Isn't that technically the case with Universal and SF? Like serious.
Well, USH is smack-dab in one of the richest zip codes in the entire nation. Not to mention there is a live working studio right up against the park. Of course the major movie studio and the rich af neighbors are going to have a lot more say as to what USH can add. With Knott's and SF it's not like tall roller coasters dominating the skyline will be a foreign concept for the middle class neighbors.

I don’t see the neighbors being an issue at all. If you look at where this coaster is being built the big turn is directly across from the seven eleven not residential homes. Then the rest of it travels along crescent avenue and then back into the park. In addition, the park typically closes at 6pm throughout the year and by 10pm on summer and weekend nights. If I can’t complain about my neighbors blasting music until 10pm then there shouldn’t be an issue with them and the noise. No matter where you are on the outside of the park you can hear screaming. It just goes with the area!

This all may be because no other coaster faces people's backyards (yet, anyway)? If any do, let me know, I'd honestly be curious to know if this has happened/been allowed before

This all may be because no other coaster faces people's backyards (yet, anyway)? If any do, let me know, I'd honestly be curious to know if this has happened/been allowed before
Just curious, are you affected by a roller coaster looking into your backyard?

Yeah because when I’m screaming going full speed on a 325 foot giga coaster, I’m going to try to look into someone’s backyard going while down that giant drop.
Seriously right? Plus how do you know you didn't buy a house right next to a theme park? Pretty sure, just like with the new homes going up behind MM, it is disclosed that theme park is across the street.

1) The people that live there live near a theme park. They live next door to a parking lot--not the same thing. Look closely at the map I"m attaching. Only a very few number of houses are currently directly next to the park proper (which are at the Pony Express turn around, which is now enclosed due to their complaints). For the most part, homeowners can't even directly see the park, there's no real serious visual intrusions, and the parking lot is at least some buffer to sound from the park. If this particular plan went through, it would be the first time a roller coaster would be in their visual sight lines and have sounds aimed directly at them, and way closer than ever before. That's a huge difference, and not one a homeowner in that area would foresee. It's been a parking lot for at least 50 years, if not more.

knotts.jpg

2) During a visit to SFMM today, we drove around the neighborhood that is being developed near there. There's quite a few differences. First, the homes are set well above the vast majority of the park. From the neighborhood point of view, it's like SFMM has been lowered into a pit. The few rides that are higher are way, way off in the distance (one exception: Apocalypse's lift hill is relatively close). Also, if you actually drive down that street that's closest to the park, it's highly unlikely they'll be building any homes with their backs facing the park... the strip of land on that side of the street available to develop is maybe 3 feet wide? So any home you'll eventually see from the park will be the front, and there will be no exposure of backyards to the park guests. And there's a larger distance for sound issues.

Maybe Knott's has found a way to make this work, but they'll really have to smooth it over with the residents somehow (and especially with a nursing center and church in the mix as well, on the south side of the park). Scream shields or an enclosed drop are certainly an option, but that won't make most riders all that happy. What's the point of a 300+ foot drop if it's all enclosed?

It won't be enclosed. It won't have to be. There are already screams coming from all over Knott's and it's surrounding areas.

And trust me, Knott's knows FAR more about it's neighbors than people on the internet arm chair speculating.

And here's the bottom line. The neighbors will not be happy about a giga coaster circling the outer perimeter of the park. But Knott's has never been denied a building permit by the city. The neighbors, unhappy and all, will have to learn to deal with it.

Money talks. And the amount of tourism this will bring to the area will supercede the neighbors. Just ask Sea World San Diego.

Last edited:
And once again, to just remind: we're still in a pandemic that heavily rocked California's economy and especially, it's tourism economy. It's going to be shocking if politics stop any form of what is going to come for the next few years. Just in the general terms atleast, not just for Knotts.

With 2023 being a major year for pushing back in the tourism for SoCal with Super Nintendo World and Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway; it does not shock me in the slightest that Knotts would do the giga next year.

Yeah because when I’m screaming going full speed on a 325 foot giga coaster, I’m going to try to look into someone’s backyard going while down that giant drop.

Me while riding this ride: "Ah, looks like the Jones are having a cookout and making some hamburgers and brats. Excellent. Wheeee."

Uh, no. More like "Please wind, do not blow my sunglasses off and then my contact lenses go flying."

So because of that SMALL cluster of homes, Knott’s isn’t allowed to build anything big there? Like mentioned above, if this is legit, I’m sure the cedar fair and the city of Buena Park approved this ages ago. Sorry for the neighbors but this is a much better addition to bring in tourism and revenue for surrounding businesses. At the expense of a few salty homeowners… who knew they bought a house next to a theme park.

1) The people that live there live near a theme park. They live next door to a parking lot--not the same thing. Look closely at the map I"m attaching. Only a very few number of houses are currently directly next to the park proper (which are at the Pony Express turn around, which is now enclosed due to their complaints). For the most part, homeowners can't even directly see the park, there's no real serious visual intrusions, and the parking lot is at least some buffer to sound from the park. If this particular plan went through, it would be the first time a roller coaster would be in their visual sight lines and have sounds aimed directly at them, and way closer than ever before. That's a huge difference, and not one a homeowner in that area would foresee. It's been a parking lot for at least 50 years, if not more.

View attachment 15718

2) During a visit to SFMM today, we drove around the neighborhood that is being developed near there. There's quite a few differences. First, the homes are set well above the vast majority of the park. From the neighborhood point of view, it's like SFMM has been lowered into a pit. The few rides that are higher are way, way off in the distance (one exception: Apocalypse's lift hill is relatively close). Also, if you actually drive down that street that's closest to the park, it's highly unlikely they'll be building any homes with their backs facing the park... the strip of land on that side of the street available to develop is maybe 3 feet wide? So any home you'll eventually see from the park will be the front, and there will be no exposure of backyards to the park guests. And there's a larger distance for sound issues.

Maybe Knott's has found a way to make this work, but they'll really have to smooth it over with the residents somehow (and especially with a nursing center and church in the mix as well, on the south side of the park). Scream shields or an enclosed drop are certainly an option, but that won't make most riders all that happy. What's the point of a 300+ foot drop if it's all enclosed?
So why are you so worried about others that live there if you don’t. I dont get it.

I don't think anyone's interested in what people do in their backyards, unless they're sunbathing in the nude. Gardening and yardwork aren't that interesting. BBQs and kids running around can already be seen around the park.

Also, there's a NL2 day/night POV.

I grew up in Buena Park, very close to Knott's and spent about half of my life there. I do think they consider the neighborhood when they are building new attractions to some extent (ie: Ghostrider's drop shield, Supreme Scream's diffusers, etc) but I also think they realize they are almost entirely boxed in in terms of expansion. They own quite a bit of land around the park but logistically I think it makes more sense to move towards the Crescent lot first.

Personally, I believe this type of project is not the right direction for Knott's now. I'd much rather see an expansion of Ghost Town or some dark ride/family friendly attractions put in if they are going to expand. It seems like a lot of real estate for one ride and just reminds of me of the early 00's era of Cedar Fair. The most exciting part of these rumored plans is the parking structure, and if they could operate it on a similar level to how Disneyland operates theirs I think that would be incredibly helpful all year.

Last edited: