Knott's Scary Farm 2023 | Inside Universal Forums

Knott's Scary Farm 2023

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Mar 23, 2015
Orange County, CA
Since tonight is the last night of the 2022 season of Scary Farm, I figured we could get 2023's thread up. They are celebrating the 50th next year, so as info drops we can all talk about it here!

Reactions: Freak
Knott's were promoting the 50th even before the 31st October, and I'm already talking planning with friends lol, like dates, and accommodation.

It will be interesting to see what they do special to celebrate. Dark Entities was mentioned by my beyond the fog tour guide as going along with the other two, we'll see if that happens.

Alrighty, so here's my speculation and food for thought for the 50th.

What's officially known at the moment is Dark Ride, Pumpkin Eater and The Hollow are no more. It's pretty safe to speculate that we're getting at least two new mazes and one new scare zone. Naturally due to the original nature of the event, only the creative team knows what the replacements are, we really can't speculate what's coming...unless we take something particular into account, more on that later...

On the rumor side, there's a rumor the creative team wants to provide more new offerings on top of the new scare zone and two mazes. So that begs the question, what could possibly happen for them to add more new things for next year? A shortlist for me that comes to mind is...

- Using a former maze location that hasn't been used in a while, such as the Bumper Cars.
- Quietly closing another maze such as Dark Entities.
- A new overlay for the Log Ride.
- Better yet, putting live actors back in the Log Ride, Mine Ride or both. (Granted, I fully understand why they stopped doing that. But that would be a nice thing to have just for the 50th.)
- A Hanging. Pre-face, NOT the pop culture one. I feel that one is truly good and dead. If I'm proven wrong, so be it. But as of right now, I just don't see it coming back. Now the Midnight Witch Hanging on the other hand...that is something that is firmly tied to Ghost Town and the lore of the Green Witch. They've brought it back before, and I can see them bringing it back for the 50th.

That's just a handful of things that could possibly be done to add to the event, I wouldn't mind this rumor being true since even additions for the 50th sounds like a great idea!

Speaking of which, I think something people might be thinking with it being a big anniversary year is...will there be an Anniversary Maze a la' XXV (25) Years of Fears? Honestly, I hope not! Anniversary mazes like that are honestly hard to pull off for a variety of factors, what years do you represent and are you able to have a good representation of the whole event and not a focus on one year in particular (Looking at you, Horror Nights: The Hallow'd Past (But mostly 2008).) etc. Another factor is Knott's themselves weren't fond of 25 years of fears, partly due to the reasons I listed, and they've openly mentioned that older mazes represented in the maze just didn't land with the 1997 audience. I feel there's a better way to have a sort of anniversary maze, and they've actually done it before...which brings up my main food for thought this year...

So! An anniversary type concept they've done before was taking a classic maze and revamping it a la' Dominion of the Damned. I felt that was pretty well done all things considered, and I think it's a better option than trying to cram who-knows-how-many mazes into one. And when it comes to Classic Scary Farm Mazes, you probably have a shortlist in your head of what those are. *Yet Another Pre-Face* They're probably not gonna' return to The Asylum, so best toss that from your head. But hey, that makes the shortlist even shorter!

Now with those classic Scary Farm Mazes in mind, take this into account! Knott's has made it pretty clear when it comes to mazes that are more inside the park, they like having it fit the theme of whatever scare zone it's in. (eg: Origins in Ghost Town, Pumpkin Eater in the Hollow, Dark Ride and Mesmer in CarnEvil.)

Now with whatever's replacing Pumpkin Eater, it's currently in a blank state since the Hollow is gone. So that is maze is gonna' be themed to whatever the new scare zone is. Now if they decide to do a throwback and have the return of The Gauntlet, then The Inquisition is right there. (Granted I wouldn't place Inquisition as a classic maze, but it's a fitting theme for the Gauntlet. I would also say Lore of the Vampire, but we've already done Dominion of the Damned, and we've got new vamps with Bloodline.)

That leaves us with the Boardwalk Ballroom, right in CarnEvil. We've got Mesmer taking care of the Sideshow aspect with a touch of Freaks here and there. And I think we all know what Classic Scary Farm Maze could fit right in, maybe not in its original form since lord that looked massive, but doesn't it seem like a fitting time for the return of C3 (aka Carnival of Carnivorous Clowns)?

Well, maybe-maybe not. There's one more little factor to this, and that's the question if they would replace a Clown Maze with another Clown Maze so soon? Technically, they did wait a year between Carnival of Carnivorous Clowns from Outer Space in 3-D and Killer Clown Kollege, but KCK failed to pass and immediately got replaced by Uncle Bobo's Big Top of the Bizarre. However after Uncle Bobo's, there was a 4 year hiatus of Clown Mazes until Dark Ride. If they don't wanna' wait, a return of C3 is within the realm of possibility. But if there is a hiatus...it hit me that something like The Doll Factory could fit to some degree...once again, some food for thought.

Last edited:
I'd personally love an anniversary maze. Whether it works or not, I just think it's fun conceptually and something only Knotts can really pull off with so much history and fans.

Just give me both: an anniversary maze and a reboot maze. I think C3 would be fun. I wouldn't care a single bit about Inquisition.

In fact, an anniversary scarezone. Just littered with stuff from the past, I'd love it. Like a haunted outside museum. That maze location is big enough to fit something like that as well. Then put C3 in the old Dark Ride spot.

Plus a brand new original maze in the Dark Entities spot. The final year of The Depths. Origins and Mesmer continuing strong. I can only assume Grimoire and Bloodline aren't going anywhere -- from what I saw of Bloodline though, I'd like a non-shooting version of that one. Wax Works should go or be revamped.

Bring back some type of Hanging.

I def need scareactors in the log ride and mine ride -- those were ALWAYS my favorite.

Even just 50% of these would get me very excited for the 50th!

If I recall correctly, they brought back the midnight witch hanging for the 40th Anniversary (correct me if I'm wrong). It was quite grim and sombre.

There's a few spots they haven't used for a while aside from dodgem cars like that Gunslinger's Grave area (maybe that clashes with Foresaken Lake); and I believe they don't use the wagon trail anymore so as to not interfere with day operations. Maybe some space will free up in Fiesta village if that's done in time, possibly for some cool non-maze stuff. Probably it will be more of the same, with a tip of the hat to the 50th, we'll see.

Maybe Xcelerator will actually be operating lol.

Reactions: Tobias
Kinda hard to speculate what's coming next year, but I will share what I would like to see next year:

-Scareactors back on Log Ride and Mine Ride. Don't treat them as "mazes" as they've done in the past. Just give them the normal lite overlays and surprise us with some talent thrown in there.

-Four new houses and revamp the repeating ones with a new scene or two. Grimoire and Origins can stay as is.

-Redesign Bloodline to be a regular house. The house was so detailed I wanted to focus more on waiting for scares and soaking in the detail. It was such a beautiful house. The guns are kind of unnecessary.

-I don't think an anniversary house would work for KSF. I'd rather they just reboot an old one.

Now what I think we will see next year:

-I think the return of Trapped is possible. It will have been eight years since they've done it come the fiftieth so I think it's absolutely the ideal time to try the concept again.

-A rebooted house. They did this for the fortieth with Dominion. I think we'll see a reboot of either Cornstalkers, C3, Dollhouse, Axe Murder Manor or possibly Asylum. If they were going to reboot a house it would be one of those five.

-I also think we'll see the return of the midnight witch hanging. I remember that for the 40th and that was neat.

-I think a tenth house in the location where Gunsliger's was is very possible.

-Actually maybe the Inquisition is something they'll reboot. I could see it getting followed up by a scarezone.

Reactions: Tobias
Now what I think we will see next year:

-I think the return of Trapped is possible. It will have been eight years since they've done it come the fiftieth so I think it's absolutely the ideal time to try the concept again.

-A rebooted house. They did this for the fortieth with Dominion. I think we'll see a reboot of either Cornstalkers, C3, Dollhouse, Axe Murder Manor or possibly Asylum. If they were going to reboot a house it would be one of those five.

Oooh, good call with Trapped. It seemed like the creative teams enjoyed working on that one, so that's a unique offering that would be fitting to return.

As for possible reboots, for me the shortlist would be C3, Malice in Wunderland, The Doll Factory and possibly 13 Axe Murder Manor. I would also have the Asylum on the list, but once again I really do feel they won't return there, save for a mention somewhere.

And while this is just purely wishful thinking, I'd love to see them take a theme that was used on one of the rides and make it into a maze. Camp Gonnagetcha, Army of the Underworld, Red Moon Massacre, Sleepy Hollow Mountain. Any of those could make for a fun maze.

And while this is just purely wishful thinking, I'd love to see them take a theme that was used on one of the rides and make it into a maze. Camp Gonnagetcha, Army of the Underworld, Red Moon Massacre, Sleepy Hollow Mountain. Any of those could make for a fun maze.
I love this idea. Camp Gonnagetcha might be too similar to Grimoire in settings though. Army of the Underworld wasn't exactly good, so not sure if I'd wanna go back there haha. I'd love to see Red Moon or Sleepy Hollow redone though. Or maybe even a crazy combination of the two. Werewolves in Sleepy Hollow haha.

Aside from what we know we are getting, I think we will be surprised and receive either a third maze in a location that we haven't seen used in a while and/or an additional scare zone. I would love for Dark Entities to go, but they have been pretty consistent about doing some kind of fanfare when mazes are on their final year.

For some reason, I see them leaning really into the 50th and the history with their merchandise and art show, but not the new mazes. I'd love to be wrong, but that is just what my gut is telling me right now.

Just a side note, but there has been conflicting information flying around about whether or not they will release the Scary Farm passes for 2023. Hopefully that isn't the case so everyone has a chance to go multiple times and soak the whole event in.

I would love for Dark Entities to go, but they have been pretty consistent about doing some kind of fanfare when mazes are on their final year.
I feel like most mazes leave without any fanfare, don't they? Especially mazes that were always ranked poorly and never had a line. Plus with BTS Tour Guides saying this is the end, I am inclined to believe it, unless it gets a huge overhaul that would practically make it brand new.

I feel like most mazes leave without any fanfare, don't they? Especially mazes that were always ranked poorly and never had a line. Plus with BTS Tour Guides saying this is the end, I am inclined to believe it, unless it gets a huge overhaul that would practically make it brand new.

Maybe fanfare is the wrong word, but what I meant was the last few years they have always announced that a maze is leaving and generally have some kind of merchandise to coincide with it.

I’d be totally fine with Dark Entities going, I just wanted to mention that note.

I mean I hope we get three new mazes next year, and would not mind a new overlay for the Log ride.

I know the Hanging is also......gone but hope they find a way to tribute it even if its just a set on one of the mazes.

Another poster above had the idea of a tribute maze...and I'd love that. Also hope the museum they normally run has art from every maze they have ever done

Reactions: JS610
I checked out the park calendar and all days and hours are there already. Of note, running Thursday to Sunday all season, no Wednesdays; and the Monday before Halloween they are not operating.

Glad to see they're starting earlier than normal. Felt like a very short season this year.

Same, it feels appropriate for a big anniversary year to start a bit earlier. And personally for me it lines up very well with UO's HHN to do an easy back-to-back weekend trip.

Same, it feels appropriate for a big anniversary year to start a bit earlier. And personally for me it lines up very well with UO's HHN to do an easy back-to-back weekend trip.
knotts 40th anniversary being my first year to the haunt. arguable the best year of the 2010's I am excited to them do it again.
I do miss trapped. I would hope they would bring it back!

That is very early. It seems to be a trend this year! I keep checking for the season pass add on... If someone sees it before me, feel free to @ this thread. Haha.

The word right now is they aren't happening. Sources seem to be everything from "guest services told me" to "management said so" but there has been no official word either way. Once again, their social media is getting a ton of comments asking for it. Seems like money left on the table for the 50th and considering the low attendance they had this last season you'd think it'd be a no brainer.

I've seen plenty of people the last year or so mention they'd gladly pay a premium price for it. I guess we'll just have to wait and see because they aren't going to make an announcement about it not returning if that is the case.
knotts 40th anniversary being my first year to the haunt. arguable the best year of the 2010's I am excited to them do it again.
I do miss trapped. I would hope they would bring it back!

I wouldn't hold out hope for Trapped, but I do think this next season will be good!

Reactions: Freakenstein