What's new
Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Legoland Florida

Attraction Magazine is at the announcement now and reporting it live on their Twitter. A couple of interesting tweets:

A sign outside a shopping center near Cypress Gardens says "Welcome Legoland".

Parking employee told us " Welcome to Legoland".

View from the Conference: http://twitpic.com/z2jd6

The conference is on my local Bright House Networks news station. The conference is delayed due to the fact that they are awaiting the govenor to arrive.

Last edited:
Press Conference is about to begin. Attractions Magazine is going to stream live with the link on their Twitter and it is on local news stations.

More info on the park:
Cypress Gardens to become Legoland, FL. Opening late 2011.
New owner, Merlin, will keep botanical gardens at Cypress Gardens. More at noon
Merlin/Legoland getting $5 million incentive package to set up shop at Cypress Gardens, plus road improvements

Last edited:
Watching the press conference. The backdrop makes it look pretty awesome for the kiddies. Combine this with the MK Fantasyland Expansion the 10 and under set is going to LOVE Cent. FL.

Watching the press conference. The backdrop makes it look pretty awesome for the kiddies. Combine this with the MK Fantasyland Expansion the 10 and under set is going to LOVE Cent. FL.

You are absolutely right!
lego1.jpg

WOW!!! I 'd like to have more informations thought, like the size of the park, if there'll be an hotel, if the waterpark will remain, how many attractions will be there... so many things!!!

Wow. The park is going to use 40 million Lego bricks. Honestly, I'm pretty excited for this park to open next year! :thumbs:

The only thing I'm concerned about is that I know that usually Legoland's rides are REALLY short (I've been to the one in Windsor, UK), but I hope here they'll change, building longer rides...

Let me add some of the Media coverage to feed the discussion

Press conference video bites
Plans for Legoland Florida

Why Florida and Cypress Gardens?

Orlando Sentinel

Legoland Florida: Merlin Entertainments reveals details of new Winter Haven park
Central Florida will be home to the world's largest Legoland by the end of 2011, Merlin Entertainments Group said Thursday.

The park, which is planned for the former site of the historic Cypress Gardens, is expected to create more than 1,000 jobs. The historical gardens will stay intact, according to Nick Varney, Merlin's chief executive officer.

Varney announced the details of Florida's newest theme park at a news conference attended by government and tourism officials, including Florida Governor Charlie Crist.

Varney kicked off the event by calling Legoland Florida's "worst-kept secret," referring to the fact that details of today's announcement leaked out Wednesday, after an email surfaced confirming that it was indeed Legoland that was coming to Polk County.

Legoland, Varney said, "is without question one of the strongest brands in the world."

The Florida park is Legoland's second U.S. location, after Legoland California in Carlsbad, Calif. The addition of a Legoland in the Sunshine State is part of a broader push into the U.S. for Merlin.

"We see it as a big development market for us," Varney said.

Merlin Entertainments said it plans to make a "substantial investment" in the Polk County attraction. Governor Charlie Crist went further, saying the company will put hundreds of millions of dollars into the project.

In exchange for building a Legoland in Winter Haven, Merlin Entertainments will receive $5 million in incentives from Polk County over a 10 year period, plus road improvements. The package includes $150,000 per year for job creation and $350,000 per year in marketing support, sources said.

"Obviously in these challenging economic times, these jobs are fabulous," said Florida Sen. J.D. Alexander, R-Lake Wales.

Legoland%20Announcement%2001.jpg

Legoland%20Announcement%2002.jpg

Legoland%20Announcement%2004.jpg

Legoland%20Announcement%2009.jpg

Well Also Disneyhead you have Seaseme Place coming to Busch with the other additions. I wonder if these will be a year round park? Waiting to see there strategy to get people to drive that far for this park. The idea of road construction being done around that area is not a huge plus to get people to drive there early. I think they have a good product can't wait to see there game plan.

I just watched an interview with someone from Merlin on the news. They said that some of the rides will stay and be revamped with a Lego theme.

hi everyone! sorry if i'm a little behind and any of this stuff is actually confirmed, but just thought i'd throw out a few of the rumors that i've picked up at the hotel i work at, which is right across the street.

supposedly a few people i work with have seen the plans and they say there will be a hotel built, and i've heard it will be built on the land where the parking lot is. and they're going to keep the waterpark and somehow the ski show. also, i was told there's going to be a castle.

just thought i'd share what i've heard :)

really excited about this, it will be good for me where i work that's for sure. even thought i don't know much about the size of the other legoland's, i can't possibly see how this is going to be the biggest legoland one, unless they're counting the lake. cypress gardens was fairly small and there's not much surrounding land for them to build on.

I'm a 5 minute drive from Legoland Windsor, and its a great little park. I'm very interested to see what they do in Florida, I've got to say its a brillliant idea; and I'm surprised its not happened before now.

hi everyone! sorry if i'm a little behind and any of this stuff is actually confirmed, but just thought i'd throw out a few of the rumors that i've picked up at the hotel i work at, which is right across the street.

supposedly a few people i work with have seen the plans and they say there will be a hotel built, and i've heard it will be built on the land where the parking lot is. and they're going to keep the waterpark and somehow the ski show. also, i was told there's going to be a castle.

just thought i'd share what i've heard :)

really excited about this, it will be good for me where i work that's for sure. even thought i don't know much about the size of the other legoland's, i can't possibly see how this is going to be the biggest legoland one, unless they're counting the lake. cypress gardens was fairly small and there's not much surrounding land for them to build on.

Thanks for sharing your informations!
I am surprised about the hotel you were talking about, while I know that the castle will be the Dragons' castle (there's one in every Legoland park).
I was surprised also when I heard that it'll be the biggest Legoland in the world, since the space is very limited, and there's NO SPACE AT ALL for a future expansion...

Details on Legoland including FAQ and pictures: http://www.attractionsmagazine.com/blog/2010/01/21/details-on-legoland-florida-coming-in-late-2011/
Today Merlin Entertainments announced a multi-million dollar investment for its biggest family tourist center in the world with the planned opening of Legoland Florida.

Merlin purchased the historical Cypress Gardens in Winter Haven, Fla. from property investment company Land South Group and will open Legoland Florida on the site at the end of 2011. The deal to buy the 145-acre site includes the current theme park and waterpark as well as an operating lease in perpetuity on the historic botanical gardens. Merlin plans a significant multi-million dollar investment over a number of years, up to and beyond opening, in what will be the biggest Legoland to date. In line with the group’s “resort” strategy for its theme parks, this is likely to include both accommodation and the addition of further branded attractions from the Merlin portfolio. This will build on the $100 million invested over the last few years in improved infrastructure on the site.
The Florida development will be Merlin’s second Legoland Park in North America. It will provide a full-day, year round, theme park experience geared towards families with children between the ages of two and 12. Its design will mirror the successful concept of the four existing Legoland Parks in Denmark, Germany, U.K. and California. However, as with the other four, it will also have its own unique “twist” reflecting its stunning location and adding a Florida flavour.

The decision to open a Legoland Park in Florida follows considerable research in the area by Merlin over a number of years. This indicated a high recognition of the Legoland Park brand and a 90 percent plus intention to visit by families in this target market. The issue has been to find the ideal site. Cypress Gardens has long been a popular location for millions of visitors. Merlin believes its Central Florida location, approximately 50 minutes from Orlando and also close to Tampa, is the perfect site for Legoland.

The development follows the success of Legoland California which opened in 1999. Legoland California was recently voted the country’s best children’s theme park by “Amusement Today” for the sixth year running. It is also recognized as the fastest growing theme park in the U.S., enjoying an increase in visitor numbers year-on-year, including six percent in 2009.

Legoland Florida will be the biggest Legoland Park ever opened and will offer a unique mix of more than 50 rides, shows and attractions, including spectacular Lego models and other interactive elements for the whole family to enjoy together.
This keeps sounding better and better. More than 50 rides, shows and attractions?! Awesome. The FAQ says they hope to keep the ski show. It also says they plan to build an onsite resort.

Last edited: