Licensed Icons - Yay or Nay? | Inside Universal Forums

Licensed Icons - Yay or Nay?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Should they have licensed Icons

• Total voters
Aug 12, 2021
A little context. Most of the icons are “original” that is they were created by Universal themselves for HHN. There were a few exceptions though.

1995 brought the Cryptkeeper from the TV Series Tales from the Crypt. He had his own version of the Dungeon of Terror (it was actually set in his mansion) and was brought back in 1996 to helm a tour of a film studio overrun with monsters and a Festival of the Dead parade.

Cryptkeeper_1996_Shirt_Front.jpg

2008 in Orlando technically had a licensed icon that year as a makeup artist copyrighted the name Bloody Mary and supposedly was responsible for the character design of her that year. IDK why but Uni didn’t bother to contact her again I guess so that’s why she didn’t appear anymore.

Hollywood’s event in 2008 and 2009 had Freddy Krueger and Jigsaw serve as the icons respectively, and from the looks of it they were pretty strong icons, much better than the two original icons beforehand. There were actual stories to the events- Freddy submerged USH into the dream world and wreaked havoc, Jigsaw used the park for his “test” themed on horror cinema- so it wasn’t just “random scary shiz happens”. Freddy had a revamped house, appeared in the entrance, and a Terror Tram where he had a big presence. Jigsaw had a brand new maze, hosted the Terror Tram, and had TWO scarezones where his minions ran amok with chainsaws. The only thing they missed were shows.

(I read on some circles that 1999 had the Mummy as the icon but I doubt it.)

So should they come back to that idea in that a character from a licensed property serves as the Icon/“main villain” of a HHN event?

For the record; this is ignoring the higher-ups refusal of Icons and going with the idea that they would go back to the idea of icons for some reason.

It's an interesting prospect, especially when we take into consideration of what Freddy and Jigsaw embodied with each event that they specifically headlined.

08 was upgrading and allowing the New Line trio to stand on their own without that of Jack, and 09 was for all intents a way to capitalize on the buzz that surrounded Saw as a franchise, and to have that then be given lights to Lionsgate's other IP at the time.

I think it really matters on how the character represents the event, what the theme embodies, and how they stand out as a face of the event. Harry might be the closest Hollywood has had to getting back to the idea of a headlining figure-head, as seen with his connection in family biology in UHH, and the Terror Tram's promo even going out to having him present and speaking in the trailer. But as far as IP is concerned?

Really don't think many others would make sense into this. Pinhead, maybe (but given Hellraiser's reboot is going to Hulu, I doubt it). Chucky absolutely, especially with Chucky SYFY and the merchandising that Chucky, Tiff, and Glen/Glenda are continuing to get.

Depends on what you mean by "icon"

The Icons were largely in-house IPs developed before HHN was the juggernaut it is today

They appeared on all print and ad material, had in park presence, and normally their own house (or made a guest appearance in one)...at least the major 4

If we use Weeknd as an example, he was on all print and ad material, had in park presence, and his own house..He's clearly the biggest IP and could be argued as the most iconic part of this year's event..is he an icon? Well, depends on how you define it.

If you're talking making a character like Chucky "the" event IP/icon, that would be counter to Universal's approach as just one IP would probably be considered not good enough by the higher ups

Yet, I could certainly see them doing something creative in the streets like they did with Pumpkin Lord, or even the Terra Queen, where they are "in park" icons but just not present on ads or in a specific house.

Chucky, for instance, taking over HHN would be kind of interesting I guess..Kind of like "Chucky presents: HHN32" or something...but there would need to be more IP surrounding him

In that case it's like one tiny step away from what they're already kind of doing with IP and may be confusing to some

Again, the function of the Icons was to provide a host or face to the event in an IP-less(ish) era and enforce the branding of that year...The function of the IPs is to provide a hook to entice people to come and HHN is the overall brand now...where as before it wasn't big enough to do so

It's interesting that things have circled back around

The first years of HHN used IP to "introduce itself"...and the function was relatively the same as it is now..its come full circle..although the HHN brand is much stronger

Last edited:
Reactions: Darko and Clive

The Icons were largely in-house IPs developed before HHN was the juggernaut it is today

They appeared on all print and ad material, had in park presence, and normally their own house (or made a guest appearance in one)...at least the major 4

If we use Weeknd as an example, he was on all print and ad material, had in park presence, and his own house..He's clearly the biggest IP and could be argued as the most iconic part of this year's event..is he an icon? Well, depends on how you define it.

If you're talking making a character like Chucky "the" event IP/icon, that would be counter to Universal's approach as just one IP would probably be considered not good enough by the higher ups

Yet, I could certainly see them doing something creative in the streets like they did with Pumpkin Lord, or even the Terra Queen, where they are "in park" icons but just not present on ads or in a specific house.

Chucky, for instance, taking over HHN would be kind of interesting I guess..Kind of like "Chucky presents: HHN32" or something...but there would need to be more IP surrounding him

In that case it's like one tiny step away from what they're already kind of doing with IP and may be confusing to some

Again, the function of the Icons was to provide a host or face to the event in an IP-less(ish) era and enforce the branding of that year...The function of the IPs is to provide a hook to entice people to come and HHN is the overall brand now...where as before it wasn't big enough to do so

The first years of HHN used IP to "introduce itself"...and the function was relatively the same as it is now..its come full circle..although the HHN brand is much stronger
Pretty much this. I love the icons but they technically served their purpose and are not needed the way they were before or even at all really. I do like how they handled Pumpkin Lord as a kind of icon though, but it’s clear the icons are being moved away from.

As you said, we are essentially looking at the 90s HHN again but much more expanded and refined. Interesting how that worked.

Reactions: shiekra38

Focusing on the bolded parts; yeah it’s kinda what I mean. Like for example say they decided to make Freddy an icon for a year. (like Hollywood did in 08). Give him a house, use voiceovers and projections in the streets (like Mary and Usher) maybe even cameos in other houses to give him a presence (or just give him a elaborate entrance zone), and a nighttime show themed to him (or one where he’s hosting).

I’m mostly thinking of how Hollywood used it’s icons in 08 and 09 regarding this subject matter. Less so Orlando’s icons. There was more to them those years (Jason, Leatherface, Chucky, MBV, Michael Myers), so they didn’t need to make Freddy and Jigsaw the headliners. And yet they did and it apparently rocked.

I confess I didn’t pay too much care to the marketing this year; but I think the difference between The Weeknd as you mentioned and Freddy and Jigsaw was that the marketing and in-park presence for 2008 and 2009 really sold the idea that it was THEIR events (one of the taglines was “Freddy’s loose on the Backlot”) as opposed to them being just one of the many maniacs. It all wrapped up beautifully with the Terror Tram (The Nightmare Tour, Live or Die) which; aside from looking fun as hell; told the storylines and used the characters from all the mazes those years which tied everything together.

Really don't think many others would make sense into this. Pinhead, maybe (but given Hellraiser's reboot is going to Hulu, I doubt it). Chucky absolutely, especially with Chucky SYFY and the merchandising that Chucky, Tiff, and Glen/Glenda are continuing to get.

Maybe the women from the Grudge or the Ring? Or Pazuzu from the Exorcist. The story would be that Pazuzu summoned all the forces of Hell itself; pretty straightforward. Sam from Trick r’ Treat would be a good icon too.

Last edited:
Though it’s usually not always how you picture a license icon like at Hollywood in 08 and 09, but technically the IP’s have always been the icons except certain years in Orlando when they brought back Jack again for the anniversary milestones and Chance in 26. You could say 27 and this year are exceptions as well because of Bone and the Pumpkin Lord, but they’re more like soft-icons than officials who are powerful enough not to be Fear’s heralds.

Focusing on the bolded parts; yeah it’s kinda what I mean. Like for example say they decided to make Freddy an icon for a year. (like Hollywood did in 08). Give him a house, use voiceovers and projections in the streets (like Mary and Usher) maybe even cameos in other houses to give him a presence (or just give him a elaborate entrance zone), and a nighttime show themed to him (or one where he’s hosting).

I’m mostly thinking of how Hollywood used it’s icons in 08 and 09 regarding this subject matter. Less so Orlando’s icons. There was more to them those years (Jason, Leatherface, Chucky, MBV, Michael Myers), so they didn’t need to make Freddy and Jigsaw the headliners. And yet they did and it apparently rocked.

I confess I didn’t pay too much care to the marketing this year; but I think the difference between The Weeknd as you mentioned and Freddy and Jigsaw was that the marketing and in-park presence for 2008 and 2009 really sold the idea that it was THEIR events (one of the taglines was “Freddy’s loose on the Backlot”) as opposed to them being just one of the many maniacs. It all wrapped up beautifully with the Terror Tram (The Nightmare Tour, Live or Die) which; aside from looking fun as hell; told the storylines and used the characters from all the mazes those years which tied everything together.

Maybe the women from the Grudge or the Ring? Or Pazuzu from the Exorcist. The story would be that Pazuzu summoned all the forces of Hell itself; pretty straightforward. Sam from Trick r’ Treat would be a good icon too.
I'm all for cohesion, and I think HHN17 was a great example of how to do it

That being said, the things you stated would be incredibly difficult when introducing the idea of IP

Even in-house IPs have to play by rules of brand protection and mixing Chucky in the Weekend house or vice-versa might not be allowed by the stakeholders that be

It seems like what you're suggesting is like a baby step sideways from what they're already doing, minus some headaches

Although, again, I do love the aspects of cohesion and a consistent "host" idea.

I'm all for cohesion, and I think HHN17 was a great example of how to do it

That being said, the things you stated would be incredibly difficult when introducing the idea of IP

Even in-house IPs have to play by rules of brand protection and mixing Chucky in the Weekend house or vice-versa might not be allowed by the stakeholders that be

It seems like what you're suggesting is like a baby step sideways from what they're already doing, minus some headaches

Although, again, I do love the aspects of cohesion and a consistent "host" idea.

I don’t see how it would be too difficult? The storylines for Hollywood in “Live Your Worst Nightmare” and “You’ll Wish It Were Just a Movie” weren’t overly complicated and pretty understandable. It was merely the “centerpiece attraction” The Terror Tram that really brought everything together regards to story and theme. Otherwise Freddy sold his presence with his house and appearing in the entrance, Jigsaw with his house, two scarezones in the entrance and Lower Lot, the other mazes were pretty much left “untouched” and stood on their own. And even I think it could have been done better.

Basically HHN would need some sort of “centerpiece” attraction to tie everything together; although admittedly I don’t know how that could work in Orlando.

I don’t see how it would be too difficult? The storylines for Hollywood in “Live Your Worst Nightmare” and “You’ll Wish It Were Just a Movie” weren’t overly complicated and pretty understandable. It was merely the “centerpiece attraction” The Terror Tram that really brought everything together regards to story and theme. Otherwise Freddy sold his presence with his house and appearing in the entrance, Jigsaw with his house, two scarezones in the entrance and Lower Lot, the other mazes were pretty much left “untouched” and stood on their own. And even I think it could have been done better.

Basically HHN would need some sort of “centerpiece” attraction to tie everything together; although admittedly I don’t know how that could work in Orlando.
Personally, I just don't see that moving the needle all that much considering the potential hoops they'd have to jump through with some IP holders

It's the difference of "Freddy Kreuger Presents: HHN 32" and "HHN 32: Featuring Freddy Kreuger"...at that point it's just a semantic game with an extra scarezone and some legal headaches (potentially)

Seems a lot more simplified the way they're doing it now IMO

Again, I see what you're trying to say, I'm just not sure it would be viable in the same way Jack, Director, etc were in previous years

Also, another aspect to this whole thing is that the IPs at HHN are really presented on an equal playing field. So if you don't like one then there are three to four others you might, and if you don't like any then there is original haunt content.

Reactions: Darko
Honestly I just think the issue with having icons now are that they would just be photo Ops now. I do think they’d see a new resurgence of popularity with the instagram crowd since they love taking selfies with characters such as these. Problem is just that. The icons used to be creepy. A creepy host of the demented Halloween party we were all attending. The issue is that with the selfie era we live in, those characters and their creepiness and personality is just gone thanks to all the pics being taken nowadays.

Basically the event evolved the only way it could. And with the event getting big enough to move away from the event having to use original characters to sell itself, it had the perfect chance to evolve.

It’s not perfect obviously. There are definitely improvements to be made. But this year, specifically the streets, were certainly a leap forward in figuring out how to make the event work in the modern era. 25 worked so well cause it was in the middle of the two eras in a way. And honestly had the atmosphere be reminiscent of both old and new HHN. We will no doubt never get that again. And we will definitely not get the 17-19 era again either. Though some could definitely argue that 21, 25, 28 were pretty damn comparable.

All that said, that doesn’t mean in the future we can’t have years comparable to those. Even those took like a decade and a half to get that amazing. Not to discount earlier years of course, but as been stated, 17-19 were peak. Honestly this year felt like the event hitting a new stride. Hopefully years as good, but different, than 17-19 are just around the corner.

This event keeps evolving and there’s no telling where it’ll go. All I know is I still love it as much as the first year I went. And I will continue to do so. I enjoy watching the evolution unfold.

Last edited:
Reactions: pumpkinbot343
The characters I’m thinking of for icons are characters like Michael Myers, Kayako, the Mind Flayer; all from popular horror media. And technically all IPs are basically Photo Ops.

And that’s really more on operations than the characters themselves. The creative director for Hollywood John Murdy designed his event so that the characters would NOT be mere photo ops.

Expanding on the idea:
  • The Grudge: The curse has spread far more beyond Kayako’s home and into the entire park itself! Now Kayako has unleashed all the forces of violence into Universal Studios Florida!
  • Trick r’ Treat: Could have been 31’s icon, but he can fit into any event with all the houses and zones tying into a vague Halloween theme.
  • Hellraiser: The Lament Configuration has been opened. Pinhead has such sights to show you. Leatherface, Chucky, and other maestros of pain and suffering all welcome you into Pinhead’s dark world
Really the problem is finding horror film icons that are strong enough to fit the role of icon like Freddy or Jigsaw.

Blue Sky since it would never happen (well maybe in hollywood) But I would love The Last Drive In to be a quasi icon one year with a "Joe Bob" Character featuring different movies that are part of the event. Have a greater Drive in movie theme, bring back an all night die in type house. Drive in theater zone with screens playing clips of old public domain monster movies and stuff. Could be a lot of fun, but with IP rights would be nearly impossible.

Is House of 1000 Corpses rumored to be a house this year since it’s been 20 years now? Captain Spaulding could be a pretty good icon from what I have heard of him; haven’t seen the movie though.

Is House of 1000 Corpses rumored to be a house this year since it’s been 20 years now? Captain Spaulding could be a pretty good icon from what I have heard of him; haven’t seen the movie though.
I'd imagine no since they already did Corpses in 2019.

I'd imagine no since they already did Corpses in 2019.

Well they brought back Halloween in 2022 (8 years after the original 2014, 6 years after HALLOWEEN II), Texas Chainsaw 1974 in 30 (5 years after 2016) AWIL in 2015 from a one year gap, so I could see it happening.