Live Theatre / Musicals | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Live Theatre / Musicals

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

So, to bring the more recent case of rumors of this but it's been for some time now that Beetlejuice, may be returning to Broadway. But now, we seemingly have more confirmation; with a location to boot and a potential HBOMax tie in as-well!

It's a rumor which makes a whole lotta' sense, after all there are theaters which probably have to be looking for a show or two once things really open back up. Why not go with one that had some legit buzz and money before it had to close due to contract obligations+pandemic?

Disney+ also has a Pro Shot of Aladdin sitting on the shelf from the 2019 West End cast. It's unclear when that will be released, but i'm assuming we'll see it by next year (although it was rumored for this year originally).

Maybe they could still do it for December? What time was Hamilton's release date announced?

Give. Me. Six.

To be honest, though, a pro shoot is probably the only way I’ll see a professional production of Beetlejuice. So I’d support that.
It’s definitely the only way I’d see it. I don’t care enough about the show to go see it honestly, but I’d definitely watch a pro shot.

This musical seems to have escaped my radar somehow, but i'll definitely be checking it out once it's on Apple TV+.
It's definitely one of those that I really wanted to see, but always fell victim to either bad timing or other shows getting priority, unfortunately. Incredibly excited for this pro-shot.

Ya it’s powerful, it’s either exactly what you need right now, or the opposite of what you need if that makes sense. I went to the 9/11 museum that day before seeing this so it was an incredibly powerful day and a great way to cap it off. I so highly recommend this for everyone and am thrilled it’s being recorded!

Watched the new Cinderella movie last night. This movie is at the low end (if not straight at the bottom) of Cinderella movies as i'd argue the 1997 Rodgers & Hamerstein Cinderella (with Whitney Houston & Brandy), Cinderella 2015, and of course the movie everyone knows, Disney animated Cinderella, are all better, but I could see this movie having a cult following as I liked what they did with this movie in certain respects (being a more progressive version of the tale), but there were quite a few cringe moments, too. The Town crier doing three separate rap scenes and literally everything that came out of James Cordon's mouth, for example.

All in all, I had fun with it for what it was. It's Cinderella, you know how it starts and finishes, so it's about the journey to get there that made this a fun watch for me.

“Ever After: A Cinderella Story” is the best Cinderella.
This is the only one I actually haven't watched. It's on Disney+ and i've been meaning to watch it but didn't know if it was worth my time but hearing you say that, I may throw it on one of these days.

Dear Evan Hansen currently at a 53% on RT right now and really getting trashed for both the creepy story and the fact that not only is Ben Platt too old to play a high schooler, but in trying to make him look younger, they actually made him look older than he actually is trying to play a young person.

I have a feeling the age thing wouldn't have been all that big of a deal if this movie was cast correctly. You want to cast a 27-year-old Platt as Evan? Fine. But don't cast 18-20 y/os as the other high schoolers. The rest of the cast should've looked like him (think Grease - they clearly weren't high schoolers, but they all looked the same age) and there wouldn't have been an issue.

Dear Evan Hansen currently at a 53% on RT right now and really getting trashed for both the creepy story and the fact that not only is Ben Platt too old to play a high schooler, but in trying to make him look younger, they actually made him look older than he actually is trying to play a young person.

I have a feeling the age thing wouldn't have been all that big of a deal if this movie was cast correctly. You want to cast a 27-year-old Platt as Evan? Fine. But don't cast 18-20 y/os as the other high schoolers. The rest of the cast should've looked like him (think Grease - they clearly weren't high schoolers, but they all looked the same age) and there wouldn't have been an issue.
Triple whammy of Cats, In the Heights, and Dear Evan Hanson could definitely seal the fate of the modern musical boom we were due for post-Greatest Showman.

• Sad
Reactions: Frogki
Triple whammy of Cats, In the Heights, and Dear Evan Hanson could definitely seal the fate of the modern musical boom we were due for post-Greatest Showman.
At least In The Heights was really good, if not a box office hit.

Tick, Tick… Boom and West Side Story are still to come this year. Everybody’s Talking About Jamie came out today from Fox on Amazon to mixed reviews.

I think we’re looking at musicals being more of something that we only see on streaming services, especially since they’re usually (fairly) cheap to make.

Reactions: Frogki and GA-MBIT