Live Theatre / Musicals | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Live Theatre / Musicals

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Through a little mixup (my bf had bought me tickets to surprise me after haunt season, and meanwhile I had already purchased tickets for some friends from out of town. haha) I ended up seeing it twice in Boston, lol. It was really well done! Not quite a replica, for obvious reasons one of the main central stage elements couldn't be replicated in all theaters, so they had a creative set piece work around, but it was beautiful otherwise!

We ended up with the U/S for Hermes the first night, and have to say, I almost preferred their performance to that of the "actual" touring cast Hermes (obviously neither of them can touch Andre, but still they were both great!). Hot take, I really reaaaaaally wish Nicholas Barasch could just take over for Reeve on Broadway. He was a phenomenal Orpheus and Reeve (IMO) has always been the weakest link in that otherwise flawlessly cast show.

As for the COVID precautions, I have been to theaters in Boston and was also lucky enough to get to see Sara Bareilles in Waitress on Broadway, and it was definitely a surreal experience being back in a major theater. Everyone was very respectful of the mask mandates (they did have to have the mask police patrolling the aisles at Intermission, but it was reassuring to see how firm and 0 tolerance they were being). Plenty of sanitizer, etc, but in terms of crowd levels, we were still packed in there like sardines. I kind of wish we had waited in our seats longer for the crowds to clear at the Opera House, because while we were all wearing masks, it was still somewhat of a cattle drive leaving. If crowds (even masked) are still a source of anxiety, I would maybe hold off still.

Unrelated to either of those comments, did anyone catch Annie last night? I was out line dancing, so I was going to try and watch it this weekend! Small clips I've seen look very promising!
Thanks for the report, especially with it being at the Opera House! Exiting there has always been a mess because there is one exit alllllll the way to the left, so everyone is going in one direction. Great venue legit other than that lol. So happy to hear you had a good time! Maybe I’ll make it for TKAM or something, but I’m thinking Hamilton next year makes more sense to me.

Reactions: PenguinCowboy
Happy to hear you loved it!

I’m upset I wasn’t over my Covid anxiety enough to see this in Boston. Hope it’s grossing well so I can see it in NY someday. People I know who saw the tour also seemed to enjoy it. Any overall thoughts on the Broadway experience with Covid rn?
My daughter and her bf spent last weekend in NYC and saw Mrs. Doubtfire on Broadway. They thought it was great and pretty faithful to the original movie. They did an air BnB and had a few good dinners. Both are vaxxed and boostered so had no issues getting into any venues.

Through a little mixup (my bf had bought me tickets to surprise me after haunt season, and meanwhile I had already purchased tickets for some friends from out of town. haha) I ended up seeing it twice in Boston, lol. It was really well done! Not quite a replica, for obvious reasons one of the main central stage elements couldn't be replicated in all theaters, so they had a creative set piece work around, but it was beautiful otherwise!

I am VERY interested in how they pulled off the

rising/decending center stage piece into hell

for the touring show.

I am VERY interested in how they pulled off the

rising/decending center stage piece into hell

for the touring show.
Would you care to know the work around they used? I intentionally kept it kind of vague just in case it was something anyone wanted to keep it a surprise!

Would love to hear any reviews of Six, whether pre Broadway or current reviews! Tempted for an early 2022 trip and not sure if prices here are worth it.

I have friends that just saw it on Broadway and some family that saw it on NCL Bliss and all said it's a GREAT time and a lot of fun.

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
Would love to hear any reviews of Six, whether pre Broadway or current reviews! Tempted for an early 2022 trip and not sure if prices here are worth it.
Best descriptor: Fun, just lots of fun!

I saw it at the ART in Boston back in the fall of 2019 and had only been vaguely familiar with the material beforehand. I listened to the soundtrack prior to going, but really only one or two times. I was fortunate enough to end up with a promo set of $25 tickets too (which I thought were three rows from the back...turns out they were three from the front :eek:O:)

There was an infectious party atmosphere through the whole performance, and by the MegaSix curtain call it was a full on dance party in the seats! The set was minimal but helped with the concert vibe, and the costumes were a-mazing! You're probably super familiar with them from promo vids, but good god in person there are SO many details! Honestly every one of the queens is perfect for their part too, not really a weak spot among them (one unfortunate voice crack, but as a performer myself, hey, it happens, and she recovered beautifully). Special highlights go to Abby Mueller for the pure emotion she brought, Andrea Macasaet for her bubbly, anarchist, "I'm not a b-, I'm just being honest" portrayal, and Brittney Mack for absolutely COMMANDING the stage whenever she was on. It was especially fun trying to pinpoint the two artists they mashed together for each queen and hearing those musical influences too!

I would say this isn't a show that is going to leave you with an earth-shattering moral message or leave you pondering your existence/the big questions of the universe, nor is it particular strong in the narrative department, but guaranteed you will leave humming your favorites on rotation! The one act runtime is also amazing in case you didn't want to run into any theater fatigue. Overall, would highly recommend, especially if you already enjoy girl pop/diva style concerts!

Best descriptor: Fun, just lots of fun!

I saw it at the ART in Boston back in the fall of 2019 and had only been vaguely familiar with the material beforehand. I listened to the soundtrack prior to going, but really only one or two times. I was fortunate enough to end up with a promo set of $25 tickets too (which I thought were three rows from the back...turns out they were three from the front :eek:O:)

There was an infectious party atmosphere through the whole performance, and by the MegaSix curtain call it was a full on dance party in the seats! The set was minimal but helped with the concert vibe, and the costumes were a-mazing! You're probably super familiar with them from promo vids, but good god in person there are SO many details! Honestly every one of the queens is perfect for their part too, not really a weak spot among them (one unfortunate voice crack, but as a performer myself, hey, it happens, and she recovered beautifully). Special highlights go to Abby Mueller for the pure emotion she brought, Andrea Macasaet for her bubbly, anarchist, "I'm not a b-, I'm just being honest" portrayal, and Brittney Mack for absolutely COMMANDING the stage whenever she was on. It was especially fun trying to pinpoint the two artists they mashed together for each queen and hearing those musical influences too!

I would say this isn't a show that is going to leave you with an earth-shattering moral message or leave you pondering your existence/the big questions of the universe, nor is it particular strong in the narrative department, but guaranteed you will leave humming your favorites on rotation! The one act runtime is also amazing in case you didn't want to run into any theater fatigue. Overall, would highly recommend, especially if you already enjoy girl pop/diva style concerts!
I see me and some Chardonnay having a blast here. Will try to see it in NYC!

• Love
I think the lesson learned will be "don't shoot and release pro shots before the show opens".
Maybe they saw the writing on the wall with the musical and figured that selling a pro shot to Netflix would basically cover the expenses of the musical so even if the show closed quickly, it didn’t matter financially.

Remember, Broadway had been closed for about 16 months so the industry was in flux.

Maybe they saw the writing on the wall with the musical and figured that selling a pro shot to Netflix would basically cover the expenses of the musical so even if the show closed quickly, it didn’t matter financially.

Remember, Broadway had been closed for about 16 months so the industry was in flux.

Good point. I hope this doesn't put a hamper on OBC pro shots.

It seems Freestyle Love Supreme is going to tour for a bit. Not coming to Florida, of course. May make a trip to visit a friend and go see it though. Anyone make it out and see it? Seems unique enough to be fun and the article I read suggests stars could pop in for the shows on tour which could be cool.

It seems Freestyle Love Supreme is going to tour for a bit. Not coming to Florida, of course. May make a trip to visit a friend and go see it though. Anyone make it out and see it? Seems unique enough to be fun and the article I read suggests stars could pop in for the shows on tour which could be cool.

I saw it in 2019 and thought it was extremely impressive and entertaining.

I'm headed over to New York at the end of the week and have a whole bunch of shows scheduled. I have measured expectations given the amount of productions that have needed to pause due to COVID break-throughs, however. Currently on the schedule is The Woman in Black, Hadestown, Flying Over Sunset, Phantom, Mrs. Doubtfire (one of the shows currently affected), the Winnie the Pooh Musical, and Company.

Are celebs joining the tour?

I saw it in 2019 and thought it was extremely impressive and entertaining.

I'm headed over to New York at the end of the week and have a whole bunch of shows scheduled. I have measured expectations given the amount of productions that have needed to pause due to COVID break-throughs, however. Currently on the schedule is The Woman in Black, Hadestown, Flying Over Sunset, Phantom, Mrs. Doubtfire (one of the shows currently affected), the Winnie the Pooh Musical, and Company.
Wait. Woman in Black is on Broadway?!