Live Theatre / Musicals | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Live Theatre / Musicals

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Still a growing and worrying number of cancellations. Was fortunate enough to see Company last night with just about all of the principals performing. Loved it - the gender swap was really thought-out and well integrated. We'll see how the rest of the week goes - I think Hadestown is likely out for tomorrow - but this was one of our priorities, so I'm pretty pleased.

BroadwayHD update-

Just watched “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice.” It’s a charming little show from England that, while a little ham-fisted, has a nice moral, pleasant songs, and fun effects. This is after starting to watch an outdoor production of “Into the Woods,” that actually structures it with a child running away from home as the Narrator. It’s wickedly clever, as the child acts out the story with toys and directly “messes” with the characters to nudge the story further.

I just started watching the revival of Miss Saigon (Cameron Mackintosh). It’s my favorite show. The production is incredible. The Engineer is amazing. And I’m so happy there’s a pro-shoot of it.

Reactions: PenguinCowboy
Broadway is in rough shape, Hadestown has cancelled all shows till Dec 27 and Jagged Little Pill is announced that this past Friday was their last show.
Jagged Little Pill was likely going to close soon regardless. Shame it didn’t get a better shot.

EDIT - More BroadwayHD updates (had a bit of a binge where I watched four total shows. Including…

LOVE NEVER DIES! I finally saw it and holy crap what a mess of a fan fiction. Gorgeous production but my god the story is a dumpster fire. (It’s even more stark with the Schumacher adaptation being available, as that Phantom is a has major creepy pedo energy).

Luckily, I followed all that up with the West End production of Kinky Boots. Damn, i was sleeping on a hell of a show. This damn thing got happy tears out of me, which has really only happened with The Wedding Singer and Little Shop.

BroadwayHD continues to be worth it.

Last edited:
I fear Broadway this winter is just going to be the “big” tourist shows, gonna be a long time for Broadway to recover from the pandemic. This is part of the recovery.

Jagged Little Pill was likely going to close soon regardless. Shame it didn’t get a better shot.

EDIT - More BroadwayHD updates (had a bit of a binge where I watched four total shows. Including…

LOVE NEVER DIES! I finally saw it and holy crap what a mess of a fan fiction. Gorgeous production but my god the story is a dumpster fire. (It’s even more stark with the Schumacher adaptation being available, as that Phantom is a has major creepy pedo energy).

Luckily, I followed all that up with the West End production of Kinky Boots. Damn, i was sleeping on a hell of a show. This damn thing got happy tears out of me, which has really only happened with The Wedding Singer and Little Shop.

I saw Kinky Boots 3 times! Such a blast and a show with a ton of heart!

I saw Kinky Boots 3 times! Such a blast and a show with a ton of heart!
I somehow saw it three times too, haha, it was just that one show where everyone I was in town with wanted to see! (And I the only regret I have is I missed Brendon Urie by a couple weeks the one time :'()

On a different note, as a Christmas present for my family I was able to get tickets to Harry Potter and the Cursed Child when they first released them for the restaging, and by a stroke of luck we were wedged in there right between it re-opening and being closed again for COVID. I was fortunate enough to see the show when it was still in its 'Auguries in America' format, so I was super curious how it would fair as one singular show!

Was in the back of the back of the top most section both times, and I truly have to say there isn't a bad seat/don't be afraid of the nosebleeds. There is so much going on, on such a large scale, I actually would almost recommend the top balcony, just be sure you can get somewhat centered (there are a number of effects that work best straight on). Not to say the actors don't do a fine job with the more intimate moments, but truly nothing is lost by not being able to see every single detail of Harry's scar; this show is truly about the storytelling, the spectacle, and honestly just turning off your brain and enjoying an absolute master class in stagecraft!

As for the content of the show itself and how well it faired condensed down, I really think they did an almost surgical job with the cuts they made! It has been a hot minute since I read the script (which, tbh, I still feel like is a WattPad fan fic that somehow got the blessing of She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named), but I genuinely couldn't remember or notice anything that was cut in the moment. There was the occasional bit of clunkier than usual expositional dialogue that I couldn't remember being quite as overt the first time, and looking back they did cut any actual kid actors, along with
Hagrid's cameo and Harry's nightmare sequences
, but honestly they were not entirely missed.

The effects, the transitions between scenes, the effects, the score by Imogen Heap, the EFFECTS; seriously this deserved every technical achievement award it was nominated for! I was happy to report not a single big moment was tampered with, and sure while you could sit there and work out most of it if you really wanted to pencil and paper your way through it, you could, but the joy is in the experiences, and good god is it an experience! From the moment you enter into the lobby to taking your seats, not a single fiber of the theater has been untouched (I am not going to spoil anything, but I really do mean that last sentiment!). One of the best aspects for me as a theater tech nerd too, though, is while there are plenty of cutting edge technological achievements, SO many of the effects and most magical moments rely on old school theater tricks (blackout scrims, simple lighting gags, etc) so it was awesome to see a mix of the classics in with the new!

One other note I found interesting about the plot and a re-write:
I was actually kind of taken by surprise they altered the dialogue and conclusion somewhat to make Scorpius and Albus' relationship explicitly romantic, or at least go far and above simply implying Albus may have feelings for him. In the original text it was a lot more ambiguous, even down to Scorpius asking Rose out at the last second, as if to say "Whoops, didn't want you to get the wrong impression here, haha, he str8". Now, instead of asking Rose on a date, the comedic moment is kept in, but he mentions he asked to be her "friend" instead. The nail in the coffin though is during Albus and Harry's moment together at the end in the graveyard. Harry opens up to Albus regarding the impact that losing Cedric had on him, and in this moment of vulnerability, Albus takes the time and mentions something to the effect of "Scorpius is probably the most important person in my life...and he might always be the most important person" I actually really found it sweet, and while it didn't come right out with it (no pun intended), I felt like it definitely did add another layer of depth to the scene and show as a whole.

Overall, such a fantastic show! If you have a chance to see either staging version, I would really really recommend it!

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee

All I know of Love Never Dies is from Lindsay Ellis…

10 years oooooooooold!!!!!’

Broadway is in rough shape, Hadestown has cancelled all shows till Dec 27 and Jagged Little Pill is announced that this past Friday was their last show.

Yep. We had Hadestown tickets so our show was canceled, but we were prepared for it and have seen it on Broadway before. Fortunately, some fantastic seats opened up for Assassins, so we grabbed those instead. Awesome, intimate production. Not a weak spot in the ensemble.

Supposed to be doing Flying Over Sunset tonight. Crossing fingers.

I somehow saw it three times too, haha, it was just that one show where everyone I was in town with wanted to see! (And I the only regret I have is I missed Brendon Urie by a couple weeks the one time :'()

On a different note, as a Christmas present for my family I was able to get tickets to Harry Potter and the Cursed Child when they first released them for the restaging, and by a stroke of luck we were wedged in there right between it re-opening and being closed again for COVID. I was fortunate enough to see the show when it was still in its 'Auguries in America' format, so I was super curious how it would fair as one singular show!

Was in the back of the back of the top most section both times, and I truly have to say there isn't a bad seat/don't be afraid of the nosebleeds. There is so much going on, on such a large scale, I actually would almost recommend the top balcony, just be sure you can get somewhat centered (there are a number of effects that work best straight on). Not to say the actors don't do a fine job with the more intimate moments, but truly nothing is lost by not being able to see every single detail of Harry's scar; this show is truly about the storytelling, the spectacle, and honestly just turning off your brain and enjoying an absolute master class in stagecraft!

As for the content of the show itself and how well it faired condensed down, I really think they did an almost surgical job with the cuts they made! It has been a hot minute since I read the script (which, tbh, I still feel like is a WattPad fan fic that somehow got the blessing of She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named), but I genuinely couldn't remember or notice anything that was cut in the moment. There was the occasional bit of clunkier than usual expositional dialogue that I couldn't remember being quite as overt the first time, and looking back they did cut any actual kid actors, along with
Hagrid's cameo and Harry's nightmare sequences
, but honestly they were not entirely missed.

The effects, the transitions between scenes, the effects, the score by Imogen Heap, the EFFECTS; seriously this deserved every technical achievement award it was nominated for! I was happy to report not a single big moment was tampered with, and sure while you could sit there and work out most of it if you really wanted to pencil and paper your way through it, you could, but the joy is in the experiences, and good god is it an experience! From the moment you enter into the lobby to taking your seats, not a single fiber of the theater has been untouched (I am not going to spoil anything, but I really do mean that last sentiment!). One of the best aspects for me as a theater tech nerd too, though, is while there are plenty of cutting edge technological achievements, SO many of the effects and most magical moments rely on old school theater tricks (blackout scrims, simple lighting gags, etc) so it was awesome to see a mix of the classics in with the new!

I was actually kind of taken by surprise they altered the dialogue and conclusion somewhat to make Scorpius and Albus' relationship explicitly romantic, or at least go far and above simply implying Albus may have feelings for him. In the original text it was a lot more ambiguous, even down to Scorpius asking Rose out at the last second, as if to say "Whoops, didn't want you to get the wrong impression here, haha, he str8". Now, instead of asking Rose on a date, the comedic moment is kept in, but he mentions he asked to be her "friend" instead. The nail in the coffin though is during Albus and Harry's moment together at the end in the graveyard. Harry opens up to Albus regarding the impact that losing Cedric had on him, and in this moment of vulnerability, Albus takes the time and mentions something to the effect of "Scorpius is probably the most important person in my life...and he might always be the most important person" I actually really found it sweet, and while it didn't come right out with it (no pun intended), I felt like it definitely did add another layer of depth to the scene and show as a whole.

Overall, such a fantastic show! If you have a chance to see either staging version, I would really really recommend it!
I saw it with Brendon Urie! Was a treat. That was my 2nd time, first was in Boston, and 3rd was the Ogonquit Playhouse in Maine!

I love to hear about the Cursed Child changes, especially regarding Albus/Scorpius. Everything sounds well done! I saw it as a 2 part play, which for an experience as a whole was so worth it, but the show wasn’t perfect.

• Love

It's definitely been on my list and I want to see it even more now it's paired down.

Yep. We had Hadestown tickets so our show was canceled, but we were prepared for it and have seen it on Broadway before. Fortunately, some fantastic seats opened up for Assassins, so we grabbed those instead. Awesome, intimate production. Not a weak spot in the ensemble.

Supposed to be doing Flying Over Sunset tonight. Crossing fingers.

That sucks, good to hear you have seen it before though. I noticed the vinyl is available online again at their store so I picked it up...

Speaking of, any Musicalsplaining listeners on here? Love that show! It has legitimately gotten me to watch more Movie Musicals myself just so I can listen to more episodes lol.
I have really enjoyed listening! The last episode kind of ended on a cliffhanger though, sounds like they might be hanging it up for a bit (understandable given the state of live theater again)

Random, does anyone know any news on the Nick Jonas, Jersey Boys stage show film? I saw he posted about it a few months ago, curious what else is going on.

Update from the ground in NYC -

Despite a devastating number of shows experiencing COVID-related cancelations, only one (one!) of my shows was canceled. Managed to see Flying Over Sunset (refreshingly daring and at times exhilarating), Phantom (an old favorite with an astoundingly good title character for this performance), and Mrs. Doubtfire (fresh from its hiatus - Rob McClure is a force of nature, though the show itself feels like a less interesting Beetlejuice).

We may try and sneak in an extra show or two if any are left standing, but even if everything else cancels, we got extraordinarily lucky and are feeling very fortunate.

BroadwayHD update-

Just watched “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice.” It’s a charming little show from England that, while a little ham-fisted, has a nice moral, pleasant songs, and fun effects. This is after starting to watch an outdoor production of “Into the Woods,” that actually structures it with a child running away from home as the Narrator. It’s wickedly clever, as the child acts out the story with toys and directly “messes” with the characters to nudge the story further.

I just started watching the revival of Miss Saigon (Cameron Mackintosh). It’s my favorite show. The production is incredible. The Engineer is amazing. And I’m so happy there’s a pro-shoot of it.

I disagree about Into the Woods. I watched a bit of it and the child narrator was interesting but I don’t think really added much. I only watched a portion of act 1. How did they end the narrator’s arc in act 2 with that framing device?

Have you watched the Goes Wrong Show?

I disagree about Into the Woods. I watched a bit of it and the child narrator was interesting but I don’t think really added much. I only watched a portion of act 1. How did they end the narrator’s arc in act 2 with that framing device?

Have you watched the Goes Wrong Show?
I need to finish Act 2. I imagine they can just ignore the Narrator sacrifice gag, but I imagine the emotional impact of “No One Is Alone” is heightened with the kid’s presence and emphasizes the meaning behind “Children Will Listen.”

And, yes I have.

Reactions: Skipper Justin