Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Live Theatre / Musicals

I know there was hopes it'd be back, but I'm not holding my breath. It was an expensive show.

Any word if it's looking for a new theater?
Well, they were...there were rumors for a while about specific theaters being eyed, a couple that had built up traction, but the run being cut short by COVID may have well dashed those.

The problem in addition to cost is the sheer size of the set; you'd be surprised by the actual size of a lot of Broadway theaters

Presales for ITH are kind of iffy, which is disappointing considering how excellent the movie is.

I've not heard of Tick Tick Boom until now. Wasn't a fan of Rent, but intrigued by the show (and Bradley Whitford as Stephen Sondheim????). How is it?

Presales for ITH are kind of iffy, which is disappointing considering how excellent the movie is.

I've not heard of Tick Tick Boom until now. Wasn't a fan of Rent, but intrigued by the show (and Bradley Whitford as Stephen Sondheim????). How is it?

Really? Anecdotally, practically every evening showing here in Los Angeles is sold out (albeit still at reduced capacity). I suppose the HBO Max availability isn't helping.

Really? Anecdotally, practically every evening showing here in Los Angeles is sold out (albeit still at reduced capacity). I suppose the HBO Max availability isn't helping.
I've already watched it once and am going to watch it again with family on Max tomorrow. I'll might go see it in the theaters a few weeks in for the theatrical experience as I feel this would benefit great from a movie theater sound system, but when I can watch at home unlimited for only $15 (and with that $15 I can watch The Conjuring 3 if I wanted to as well as plenty of other stuff), i'm definitely less likely to be in a rush to get out and see it in a theater, if at all.

I hate that i'm saying that because I love the theatrical experience and in 2019 I would've gone to see this in a theater no doubt. But a year+ of getting used to watching big movies at home and the fact that I now have a really good home surround sound system just makes me less likely to go to the theaters if I don't have to. Most of my friends aren't big into musicals (or at all), so going just seems pointless.

Basing this off of the work of amateur box office sleuths, so grain of salt, but sales are looking sluggish pretty much everywhere outside of NYC, Miami and LA (and even NYC isn't doing *that* well). Someone noted it's running at around 2/3rd of The Conjuring at the same point prior to release.

Basing this off of the work of amateur box office sleuths, so grain of salt, but sales are looking sluggish pretty much everywhere outside of NYC, Miami and LA (and even NYC isn't doing *that* well). Someone noted it's running at around 2/3rd of The Conjuring at the same point prior to release.

Yeah, you may be on to something. The director tweeted about the importance of box office stats... which tells me there's some uncertainty about how well it's going to perform.

Yeah, you may be on to something. The director tweeted about the importance of box office stats... which tells me there's some uncertainty about how well it's going to perform.

Yikes, that's never good.

Hoping it can still build an audience over time if the OW is low. It's a great film (and gave me confidence in the Wicked movie!!) and it deserves a high gross.

Last edited:
Yikes, that's never good.

Hoping it can still build an audience over time if the OW is low. It's a great film (and gave me confidence in the Wicked movie!!) and it deserves a high gross.
I also think it's telling that Warner moved the movie up a day from its June 11th release date, which they seem to have just quietly done. By doing this, I think they may be sensing a slower weekend, but if they can tout 4-day numbers, than the Box Office will appear larger than it would've been for the 3-day (in theory).

Also, In The Heights is officially in theaters and streaming on HBO Max as of today.

Live Action:
In The Heights
Dear Evan Hanson
Everybody's Talking About Jamie
Tick, Tick... Boom!
West Side Story (2021)

Animated:
Vivo
Encanto

2021 is a year of musicals unlike I think we've ever seen on screen and I think that based on having seen ITH and the trailers i've seen for the other movies, that In The Heights and Tick, Tick... Boom! have the best chance of competing for awards. I think in an alternate timeline where Covid doesn't happen (and the Ansel Elgort scandal doesn't happen), West Side Story might have had a chance at awards contention, but just in the musical field there's too much competition, never mind the other movies that will be competing for awards.

Last edited: