Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Live Theatre / Musicals

Prediction: this is going to have legs and going to do well second weekend based on word-of-mouth.
This is a movie severely hurt by HBO Max. Musicals never open big, but they almost never open this low, either. I know I certainly would’ve gone to a theater to watch the movie if not for HBO Max and my brother and a bunch of his theater friends are having a viewing party tonight… at home where the cost per person is about <$1 per person if you measure it out based on the Max subscription cost. My sister is also watching the movie tonight (again at home) at my dad's house with 4-5 other people. My dad and his wife are the type that used to love going to the movie theaters, but now that they're given the option to watch from home, they're taking advantage because for a large amount of people, it just makes economic sense to pay a one-time cost of $15 for Max rather than $12 per person to see a movie in a theater.

HBO Max also undercut theaters by making the movie available to watch at midnight on Thursday. The first showings in theaters that day weren’t until roughly 6 or 7pm, so if you were very eager to see it, HBO Max was gonna be your go to option.

Opening movies day and date just makes no financial sense if you aren’t going to ask for an additional fee to watch the movies. I think the way Universal is doing things makes the most sense. It incentivizes people to go to the theater, but also gives them the flexibility to get their movies out of theaters quicker than before.

Last edited:
If it holds ok only has a small drop next week, I could see it doing better in week 3, if only because F9 is out that week and is theatrical exclusive, which means more people will be at theaters in general.

I currently don’t see this as a Greatest Showman situation or anything simply because there’s probably close to $50M (if not more) worth of people actually watching the movie this weekend, HBO Max is just killing this film theatrically. There was nothing like that holding back TGS.

Another Vivo trailer. I think it looks quite cute. The opening of the trailer gave me Coco vibes while the rest after she opened the suitcase reminded me of Luca. For those of you who are sick of Lin-Manuel, you may want to stay away :lol:

Last edited:

Mandating vaccines is great, but I feel like audiences need to be forced to wear masks, at least initially, if everyone is sitting shoulder to shoulder like they will be.

We were so close. The first Broadway touring show back is Wicked on Tuesday. Less than a week away.

Mandating vaccines is great, but I feel like audiences need to be forced to wear masks, at least initially, if everyone is sitting shoulder to shoulder like they will be.

We were so close. The first Broadway touring show back is Wicked on Tuesday. Less than a week away.

There it is.

Soooo... if you could ask a professional touring performer a question, especially during a time like now, do you guys have anything you'd like to be asked? Wicked fans step forward.

Soooo... if you could ask a professional touring performer a question, especially during a time like now, do you guys have anything you'd like to be asked? Wicked fans step forward.
My time has come: What were rehearsals like during this time?

I was really thinking like "Get it, Nick!" :lol:
I've long stopped performing. I had about a good 4 year run and then I just wasn't good enough and got too old. Didn't help that I got into it super late - last semester of my senior year was the first show I ever did (and I played Captain Von Trapp lol) - and had no real training and just didn't really pursue it much beyond extracurricular. But I know a lot of talented people! :lol:

It's what has to happen. There's too much at stake, and they can't screw this up.

I think Hamilton's run at the Pantages is going to be a real stress test to see how well these protocols work in a real-world environment. Broadway itself doesn't resume until September, but they're getting started I believe next week...

So, to bring the more recent case of rumors of this but it's been for some time now that Beetlejuice, may be returning to Broadway. But now, we seemingly have more confirmation; with a location to boot and a potential HBOMax tie in as-well!

Please. Please please please. I was fortunate enough to see it right before the pandemic began, but a pro-shot (and another shot to see it live) would be incredible.