Lurkers & New Members: PLEASE READ | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Lurkers & New Members: PLEASE READ

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I am and you would think. I live about 20 miles (25-30 minutes) off the highway.

I wish I was there every day. :smiley:

Gotcha! My wife's grandparents live out west off Silver Springs Blvd and takes us about that same time to get from 75 to their place.

- - - Updated - - -

How about living 5 min away before, and now living 3 hours away. :lol:

Yikes. Isnt closer to a 4 hour drive from Miami? It used to take us 3 hours from Ft Lauderdale and I hated it. So glad we moved an hour closer.

Hi everyone! I'm brand new here and am hoping to learn some great information on Universal. We have been to WDW twice now (2008 and 2011) and for our next trip to Orlando (December 2014) have decided that we want to also visit Universal Studios...the problem is that I have no idea where to start! None of us have ever been there and I know nothing about it which makes me a little nervous as I'm kind of a nerd when it comes to planning our family vacations. Yes, I'm the mom who creates an agenda and even make my family wear matching t-shirts sometimes...:embarassed:

Any direction would be appreciated. We are a family of 4 (myself, my husband, 15yr old son and 9 yr old daughter), we may also be joined by my mother-in-law and mother but that hasn't been confirmed yet.

Thanks!

Melissa

Hi everyone! I'm brand new here and am hoping to learn some great information on Universal. We have been to WDW twice now (2008 and 2011) and for our next trip to Orlando (December 2014) have decided that we want to also visit Universal Studios...the problem is that I have no idea where to start! None of us have ever been there and I know nothing about it which makes me a little nervous as I'm kind of a nerd when it comes to planning our family vacations. Yes, I'm the mom who creates an agenda and even make my family wear matching t-shirts sometimes...:embarassed:

Any direction would be appreciated. We are a family of 4 (myself, my husband, 15yr old son and 9 yr old daughter), we may also be joined by my mother-in-law and mother but that hasn't been confirmed yet.

Thanks!

Melissa

First off :welcome:

Second, will you have a car or be renting one? Its really easy and shouldn't be too nerve racking. Universal is literally right up the highway from Disney, maybe 10-15 min depending on traffic once you get on the highway. You also should figure out how many days you will want to spend at Universal and being your first time you would really want to spend more than a day there since it will be tough to see both parks in one day. You can research the parks here on the boards and also on Uni's web site to get an idea what all is there. Its really a great place and getting better each year with all these attraction they are building.

Thank you for the welcome, I can't wait to start learning and planning!

I don't have a set number of days for our vacation yet but I assume we will be there approx 8 days, we will spend maybe 4 at Disney (my daugher and I LOVE Disney) and maybe 2 at Universal as we've never been there before and want to make sure we have enough time to see the major attractions there. I would like to have 2 days or so to relax and hang around the pool - we love vacations like this but are always so tired by the end of them, it's nice to have some down time as well! We just returned from a very relaxing trip to Cuba so are okay with our next vacation to be jam-packed!

That is what we are planning to do Cdnmommy, do a few days at the parks then relax at the hotel for a day, then back to the parks. Every holiday to Orlando so far has been go go go from landing at the airport!!

I don't have a set number of days for our vacation yet but I assume we will be there approx 8 days, we will spend maybe 4 at Disney (my daugher and I LOVE Disney) and maybe 2 at Universal as we've never been there before and want to make sure we have enough time to see the major attractions there. I would like to have 2 days or so to relax and hang around the pool - we love vacations like this but are always so tired by the end of them, it's nice to have some down time as well! We just returned from a very relaxing trip to Cuba so are okay with our next vacation to be jam-packed!

Two days at Universal is good, you will be able to accomplish all the major attractions, see some shows, and enjoy yourself. During your two relax days their are still so many things you could still do. I always plan a vacation that's jam packed but at the same time I always leave mid day for a few hours and come back at Dusk.

Will you have a rental car and also do you plan on staying on site at Universal? If you plan on staying onsite its that much easier to go to one of the parks for a few hours and then head back to the hotel to hangout by the pools and have that nice break in the day the day like HTF mentioned. The great thing with Universal is the proximity to everything once you are there, the parks are next to each other with Citywalk out in front and then the hotels flank Citywalk. Makes it so much easier getting around compared to Disney.

Hey guys. Long time lurker with one post. I had a question a couple of friends are planning to come down to Florida and we were planning on staying at one of the UO hotels. I have only stayed in Portofino Bay but because of the price the group wants to stay at one of the other properties.

I was wondering if you guys had a suggestion about which one is better Royal Pacific or Hard Rock. They are looking to come around Feb 20th for 4 days.

Only ever stayed at RPR so can't do a comparison, would definitely recommend though.

Welcome to the forums and be sure to ask any more questions you may have, there are some great people on here with lots of knowledge :thumbs:

Hey guys. Long time lurker with one post. I had a question a couple of friends are planning to come down to Florida and we were planning on staying at one of the UO hotels. I have only stayed in Portofino Bay but because of the price the group wants to stay at one of the other properties.

I was wondering if you guys had a suggestion about which one is better Royal Pacific or Hard Rock. They are looking to come around Feb 20th for 4 days.

Either one is a great hotel and dont think one is better than the either. Hard Rock is litterally right behind the Kidzone area of Universal is has the shortest walk to get to the parks. I find it has a little more party/rocking/have fun vibe and love it. Plus I really love music and that is a plus. Royal Pacific has a more laid back island vibe and is a little quieter IMO. You cant go wrong with either.

I love the Royal Pacific personally and highly recommend it.

Hey guys! I am not really new here, although I kind of feel like I am, because I usually lurk and do not post anything. This is such a great place, and I want to start posting more and joining in on the fun.

OK how would you like to get in the park free .
Buy an annual pass.
Rate for 4 days you are there 1291.96 for royal pacific
Annual passholders rate 985.50 for royal pacific

saving you 306 (about the pass cost w/tax)
plus free parking (except first day in parking deck)
hotel parking is not free even for passholders
plus the onsite discounts for food and merchandise

I have stayed in all 3 .You have privileges at all hotels so it doesn't matter the one you stay at

If you want to check it out yourself (or book it) put APH in code box when getting rate
You do not need pass to book room but you need at check in (go to park first)

Last edited:
Hey guys! I am not really new here, although I kind of feel like I am, because I usually lurk and do not post anything. This is such a great place, and I want to start posting more and joining in on the fun.

Awesome! Love to see a veteran member rise from the shadows!

I've got a question for everyone, Is a 110lb yellow lab normal size for that breed? My previous lab of 13 years maxed out at 90lbs and he was very overweight during that time. This guy just turned a year old and is 109lbs solid, not far at all. The vet was just in shock as she hadn't seen him in like 7 months. Is this normal? :lol: